E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Phantom Phlat

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 10:45 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

I've had my '05 530i since 01/04/05, and up until today have had not one single problem, issue, or burp.(10,000 miles) Today, however, while heading to work, suddenly the FLAT TIRE! warning came on the screen along with the flat tire icon on the info screen. I was told to pull over and change the tire immediately. Long story short....I don't have run flats and don't have a tire pressure monitor, and don't have a flat tire. I assume it's just my first electroglitch, but called the dealer just to make them aware. After 'splaining the event to the service people at Bobby Rahal BMW, I received stock reply # 76-B("Huh!. Probably just a code message, next time you're near, drop it off"). I'm not really concerned, but would like to know if anyone has experienced anything similar.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

I thought all these cars had flat tire monitors. I have had only one "false alarm" in a year and half.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Maybe I do have a monitor. I just assumed that if you didn't have run flats , there was no monitor. Does the service dept. have to reset the warning? It cancels out the radio and time I.D.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by niktee' post='226594' date='Jan 19 2006, 02:54 PM
Maybe I do have a monitor. I just assumed that if you didn't have run flats , there was no monitor. Does the service dept. have to reset the warning? It cancels out the radio and time I.D.
Page 80 of your manual tells how to reinit. Yes, all E60s have FTM. no RFs required. Did u check pressure with gauge? You could be 5-9 PSI down and u could not tell by eye balling. Please say u have and used pressure gauge.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='226602
Page 80 of your manual tells how to reinit. Yes, all E60s have FTM. no RFs required. Did u check pressure with gauge? You could be 5-9 PSI down and u could not tell by eye balling. Please say u have and used pressure gauge.
[/quote]

I have two of the finest guages made. I will admit, however, I haven't checked pressure for 60 days. It has always been spot-on up til now, so I may have become lax. Wake-up call!
Old 01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by niktee' post='226604
Originally Posted by niktee' post='226594' date='Jan 19 2006, 02:54 PM
I have two of the finest guages made. I will admit, however, I haven't checked pressure for 60 days. It has always been spot-on up til now, so I may have become lax. Wake-up call!
[/quote]
Good man But it's one thing to HAVE good guages and quite another to USE those guages Happens to me too
Old 01-20-2006, 06:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

i got my first false warning message this weekend. was driving in the pouring rain when it went off. got out, checked the pressure in the tires and all was ok. had to reset the FTM and was a little peeved about it but i guess a false warning was better than actually having a real warning and having to change the tire in all that rain.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

I have noticed falses when driving in slush.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by VTbound' post='226968' date='Jan 20 2006, 05:50 PM
I have noticed falses when driving in slush.
Me too and when the road conditions are icy or snowy.
But this only happens with my "soft tread" winter tires.

I used to have these false warnings every week,
but now when the CIP is upgraded to 19.2,
I only had about 3 of them this winter.

It is easy to reset the system from the iDrive.
But the car has to be standstill when you do it.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:22 AM
Contributors

Mine has gone off twice in 2 years. The first time I was on a road trip and promptly stoped at a service station to check. Right rear 4 lbs. light. Put air in and proceeded. Apon returning home took it to my dealer and had them check it out. Yes a slow leak. The second time was after driving a long distance at rather high speeds and then stopping rather quickly. FTM went off. Again checked it, and everything was OK.

Quick Reply: Phantom Phlat