E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious what you E60 owners think of driving your car "hard".
By that I mean pushing it......high rpm....aggressive acceleration.....hard braking....fast turns.

Let's leave out of this discussion all things relating to safety for yourself and others, the law and consequences, gas consumption, wear and tear of things like break pads and tires, pushing the car on a cold engine or during the initial break-in period and stay focused on the effect of this type of driving on the lifespan and long term performance of your car. I'm sure we're all mature adults here and understand those aspects..!!

One thing I've heard many times is cars like BMW, Porsche, Mercedes are built for performance driving. If the car is pushed (within reason) on a regular basis, this does not affect the car in a negative way possibly causing mechanical and other problems over time.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-01-2006, 02:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

i push it hard during runs and car events. hard acceleration on the highway. hard braking and hard cornering on the windy roads. i've done 1 autocross so far, will do more this season if my schedule allows. will probably try to go to the track next season.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nwilliams' post='305902' date='Jul 1 2006, 03:16 PM
Just curious what you E60 owners think of driving your car "hard".
By that I mean pushing it......high rpm....aggressive acceleration.....hard braking....fast turns.

Let's leave out of this discussion all things relating to safety for yourself and others, the law and consequences, gas consumption, wear and tear of things like break pads and tires, pushing the car on a cold engine or during the initial break-in period and stay focused on the effect of this type of driving on the lifespan and long term performance of your car. I'm sure we're all mature adults here and understand those aspects..!!

One thing I've heard many times is cars like BMW, Porsche, Mercedes are built for performance driving. If the car is pushed (within reason) on a regular basis, this does not affect the car in a negative way possibly causing mechanical and other problems over time.

What do you guys think?
BMW's are intended to be driven so as long as you properly maintain the car then don't worry about it. The engine/drivetrain (excluding automatic transmissions usually) will outlast the rest of the car. I've owned a few BMW's and never been shy on redlining the engine daily. Especially since it's only there for a quick second during shifts unlike Autobahn driving which can have the engine screaming for extended periods of time though it's built for that.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 525i, sport package & all the other goodies included

I say...... drive it like you stole it!
Old 07-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Senior Members

i drive it hard too. more in terms of reving high, corner and accelerating, i don't really use brakes too much.
see you around.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

My kind of thread! I have no worries whatever about pushing it to the limit and lately I have been.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:18 PM
Senior Members

I find I need to push my E60 530i much more than my former E39 540i. The 3.0L engine needs to rev higher and the car is built for it. It reminds me a little of my M Roadster's engine. No worries here as long as the car is taken care of and you don't hold the high RPM for a long time (abuse).
Old 07-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Senior Members

So far...I like what I hear!!!!

I think I may need to start a poll.....

Let's keep this going!!
Old 07-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='305915' date='Jul 1 2006, 07:18 PM
No worries here as long as the car is taken care of and you don't hold the high RPM for a long time (abuse).
What do you consider high RPM ? redline or before ?
Old 07-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nwilliams' post='305917' date='Jul 1 2006, 07:21 PM
What do you consider high RPM ? redline or before ?
Yes

I take the 530i within 500 - 1000 of redline almost daily. But it's only there for less than a second. I don't normally let it hit redline on a daily basis but the rev limiter is there for a reason.

Quick Reply: Performance Driving