E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Penny Pinching BMW

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder44' post='367387' date='Dec 14 2006, 02:56 PM
ummmmm, not so sure a torch/flashlight is a really big deal? I just purchased my CPO 545 and no torch. Was slightly miffed, but quickly forgot about the lack of illumination when I stepped on the skinny pedal! If one is truly in the dark and in need of an illumination device to keep in the glovey, why not spend a bit and purchase a SureFire led that will rival the xenons?

On the topic of common language, I am half US, half UK with a UK wife. Communication can get challenging on occasion.......I also have had the distinct pleasure of driving in the UK on a regular basis though I now live in the US. Boy do I miss tooling down the M40 in my wifes old 330 club sport, blistering past the coppers sipping tea! No such experience here in the good ol' US of A without the risk of being pulled by a Trooper with four wheel envy. Ah well.
Things have changed. We have masses of speed cams now - just try the M42 around the NEC in birmingham. Lots of speed lazer vans and static cams too.

The 'flashlight' mignt not seem important. Just wait until you break down on a dark country road, and cant see a dmn thing when you need to change the spare tyre. Perhaps runflats is their excuse?

My last torch got most use by my wife. Used as a shodow pupped learning age in kindergarten!

cheers

steve
Old 12-14-2006, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

Each year in the Davis Cup, 16 nations form what is called the World Group, made up of teams that have qualified through regional play or by rankings and past success. These nations are matched up against one another in four rounds of single-elimination contests. These contests are called ties, and within the contests each match is called a rubber.
http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_...Davis_Cup.html

I wonder how many sniggers on TV that gets. Or do they studiously avoid it?

ABC
Old 12-14-2006, 06:34 AM
Senior Members

I thought crabs did a sidewalk.

Now then, what are crabs?

ABC

Enough transatlantic nonsense already already.

Ed.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i Sport, Man, Cold WX Pkg, Black Sapphire Met on Black

The myriad of terms that pose potential difficulties are indeed almost endless. Not to mention the spelling of words. One thiing we can agree on though is BMW! Not too many ways to muck that one up. Though I have seen a few teeny boppers in California completely screw up a perfectly good bimmer as they try and turn it into a "tuner". Blasphemous!
Old 12-14-2006, 06:59 AM
Senior Members

I'd rather have a torch
(The flashlight works great to entertain the toddler, once she had enough of the DVD player)
Old 12-14-2006, 07:29 AM
Contributors

I got a big flaming stick with mine .......
Old 12-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

I complained to BMW UK about it on the basis that if no-one complains they will continue downgrading.
They told me that they didn't want every customer to have to pay for it, only the ones that needed it would buy it.

Ordered one from the dealer and he gave it to me free

We ought to learn how to complain in American, it seems to be much more effective than in English.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i Sport, Man, Cold WX Pkg, Black Sapphire Met on Black

Again, it's such a non-factor to the rest of the car! Is it the gadget factor? I know a flashlight is good to have in your "oh crap, I need to do some roadside maintenace, but, all this fuss over a fancy in the glovey light that can be easily replaced by a uch more powerful one for less hassle?
Maybe I'm missing a point, here.....
Old 12-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='367386
... It's the little things people remember (good and bad). ...
Yep. True.

And they don't want to risk such memories in their biggest market, the US. It's interesting, isn't it? Also a US car gets built waaaaaay faster...
Old 12-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Senior Members

in the uk, its a no cost option to have no ashtray, you have an oddments tray instead. But surely the ashtray does that already, and you keep the handy cigar lighter power socket.

Torches - My dealer said they used to give em away until they ran out. But this is a dealer that charged ?25 - $50 for putting a third of a tank of diesel in on delivery......

cheers

steve

Quick Reply: Penny Pinching BMW