E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Passenger Resraint System malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 07:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '09 e60 n54 white/black

well, didnt get that lucky i guess, just got a call from the shop and the tech said it wasn't the seat mat, the previous owner cut through the crashing sensor cables when installig the aftermarket HiDs .. and he said it was going to be $540 for them to put all the cables back together, he was quoting me 2 hrs since they have to take off the bumper.. he said if i crash none of the airbags would deploy, so i told them to go ahead and fix it .. why would you buy a BMW and do cheap ass mods to save some money!!! This is what happens at the end.. Ho well
Old 09-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by rob2388
well, didnt get that lucky i guess, just got a call from the shop and the tech said it wasn't the seat mat, the previous owner cut through the crashing sensor cables when installig the aftermarket HiDs .. and he said it was going to be $540 for them to put all the cables back together, he was quoting me 2 hrs since they have to take off the bumper.. he said if i crash none of the airbags would deploy, so i told them to go ahead and fix it .. why would you buy a BMW and do cheap ass mods to save some money!!! This is what happens at the end.. Ho well
Good for you for taking the car in and finding out what is really going in. Now if you can find that previous owner and spank his ass! I was under the impression that your light just came on, but it sounds like it was on when you purchased the car. Something like the airbag warning etc is really worth having checked out instead if trying to bypass systems etc.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Members

My Ride: '09 e60 n54 white/black

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Good for you for taking the car in and finding out what is really going in. Now if you can find that previous owner and spank his ass! I was under the impression that your light just came on, but it sounds like it was on when you purchased the car. Something like the airbag warning etc is really worth having checked out instead if trying to bypass systems etc.
Yea I'm glad I took it in, indeed the warning was on when I purchased the car and the lamps malfunctions too, he said it was a sensor that would cost me $90 ( Lol ) .. either way I got a really good deal, the car ended up having CPO till April next year, I paid 16 cash. It still smells new, he took really good care of it, but I guess he went cheap with the HIDs installation.. he also gave me the XIX 20 rims with new tires ($3k) installed 7 months ago + original rims .. he lost his job and couldn't afford it so I paid 13k to the bank and gave him 3. Overall I think I got a really good deal.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:44 AM
Members

Had this error for a while on my car.. BMW Canada refused to help out.. the BMW dealer denied that the system comes with a 10 year warranty.

The dealer I brought the car off paid for the work to be carried out.

Mine had been in quite a few times.. the BMW dealer reset the light each time but it came back after a few days.. I noticed the light only came back when the passenger seat was used. Scanned it with OPS and it gave me the following messages :-

93AA ACSM.MRS : Belt tensioner passenger - Resistance too low.

Dealer diagnosis was :-

AIRBAG LIGHT IS ON, CHECKED FAULT MEM FAULTS FOR RF BELT TENSIONER AND BATTERY CABLE MONITOR SHORT TO POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE. RECOMMENDED REPLACEMENT OF RF BELT TENSIONER AND AIR BAG MODULE WITH PROGRAMMING UPDATE.

* I had the battery recall done about a week before the car went back in for this fault.

PARTS

51-71-1-916-199 Lock Insert - x 2 $13.00
72-11-7-210-888 Lower belt with rig $225
65-77-9-172-018 Control unit airbag $943

Labour

Replacement of airbag module - $611.83
Replacement of seat belt tensioner - $140.00
Misc. shop supplies - $100

Total $2182.59 (CAD)
Old 09-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

I hate this error.
I replaced the BST cable and all was good and fine for 3 months. The other day left my ignition ON and the car battery died on me.
Gave the car a jump and the damn error is back on. Drives me CRAZY !
I am going to see what the problem is this weekend, hope its nothing major.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i

Mine just came on yesterday too. Never had this before and I had mt car for almost 2 years. I remember getting a recall letter about a cable in the trunk but I threw it out. Gonns bring my car to dealer and see what they say. I hate having any light on my dash and now I have both airbag and seatbelt light staying on.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:55 AM
mop
Members

Originally Posted by dawid_w
Hi,

I am fighting with the same problem. I had the recall done by BMW, but that didn't help. They just check the plastic connector in the trunk (parts #10, 11, 13 - just a big BS).
RealOEM.com * BMW E60 545i Battery cable

I got sick and tired of that and decided to fix it myself. Today I replaced\upgraded the positive battery cable from SBK to SBK2 (61126989780).

RealOEM.com * BMW E60N 550i Battery cable

Since SBK2 was used in LCI models - I needed to modify the airbag system cable that connects to SBK2. I used the original repair kit (61129130178)

RealOEM.com * BMW E60N 550i Repair cable, airbag

I reset the airbag light and we will see if that procedure will solve my problem

Will keep you updated.
Hi, Old post but I am having the same fault and were about to order the SBK until I read about your upgrade to SBK2.

First I presume that you haven't any faults since?

Could you explain what the difference are between the SBK and SBK2? The repair cable are because of a different connector or?

I would off course like the best (upgraded) version if it do sent gives problems in my 2004?

Br Mop
Old 11-25-2013, 01:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Engine: n52

I also had the PAM(pass airbag mulfunction)
after keep erase it with inpa..every other day.i went to the dealer....hopping for the mat recall..but surprise ..they found a bad sgm module.so they change the SGM module...$1000 job...then after 2 weeks i had the "driver airbag mulfunction" came one( never heard such a error before),,,and they replace the SZL module ( another $650)...
FOR NOW.. no more errors...knock on wood..
good luck guys !!

Last edited by stel_i79; 11-25-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:09 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi Titanium

Hey guys great news for all of you having that seat belt problem my 06 530xi passenger restraint light came on the other day i thought it was cause my girlfriend put a baby seat in the car the wrong way and it was just tripping well nevertheless after she got out and the baby got out the code was still there i was like really bmw wtf so i researched a little more and come to find out BMW HAS A RECALL ABOUT THIS PARTICULAR issue with the sensor in the 5 series in the passenger seat everything is covered in this recall for it 500 dollar fix with a free loaner better take up on it and its good till 2015 call your dealer and set it up good luck
Old 12-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW

The recall depends in the VIN and when the car was built. My '06 was not covered by the recall. Luckily I was still under warranty.

Quick Reply: Passenger Resraint System malfunction