E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Passenger Resraint System malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: f10 535d M sport e46 330cic vert
Model Year: 2015

Hey guys, I am sure this has been posted before, but I couldn't find it! I have the dreaded "Passenger Resraint System" malfunction B.S. going off now. Has anyone found a remedy that isn't BIG BUCKS to repair? I appreciate any suggestions! Thanks, Brad
Old 09-22-2012, 02:53 PM
Members

My Ride: '09 e60 n54 white/black

I'm on the same boat brother, called BMW today because i read somewhere that we had a recall on this issue, but no luck... i'm gonna take it to an indy bmw shop around my area here in Miami to get an estimate.. :thumbsdown:
Old 09-22-2012, 03:19 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

This might help:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...type=DrillDown
Old 09-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rob2388
I'm on the same boat brother, called BMW today because i read somewhere that we had a recall on this issue, but no luck... i'm gonna take it to an indy bmw shop around my area here in Miami to get an estimate.. :thumbsdown:
Same problem here, and it is pissing off. Sent an email to BMW few days ago, and was told that my vin is not part of the recall. 2005 545i. I have already read about so many cars out there that were somehow not covered either that it makes me think this recall was a big f$@% joke.

I remeber reading posts by people who somehow got it repaired at no charge, even though cars were not part of the recall. Can anyone advise? I am not going to pay s#$ to fix it. At least not without a fight. Can someone shed some light how did you do to convince BMW to pay? Should we start with filing a claim with NHTSA?
Old 09-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Hi,

I am fighting with the same problem. I had the recall done by BMW, but that didn't help. They just check the plastic connector in the trunk (parts #10, 11, 13 - just a big BS).
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...60&hg=61&fg=10

I got sick and tired of that and decided to fix it myself. Today I replaced\upgraded the positive battery cable from SBK to SBK2 (61126989780).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...60&hg=61&fg=10

Since SBK2 was used in LCI models - I needed to modify the airbag system cable that connects to SBK2. I used the original repair kit (61129130178)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...52&hg=61&fg=10

I reset the airbag light and we will see if that procedure will solve my problem

Will keep you updated.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:11 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by rob2388
There was a TSB on the issue I believe, not a recall. I had the passenger seat sensor replaced before the CPO ran out, and the dealer performed the service for a $50 co-pay.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:23 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by jayarras
There was a TSB on the issue I believe, not a recall. I had the passenger seat sensor replaced before the CPO ran out, and the dealer performed the service for a $50 co-pay.
Hi,
There are two open recalls for Passenger Restraint System on E60 cars (I know that because I had both of them done)

1. Seat mat sensor ? only on cars with sport or comfort seats
2. Positive battery cable connector ? as I mentioned before the just check the plastic connector between the positive cable in the trunk and the cable under the car. If that connection is lose or damaged they replace it and sometimes they replace the battery cable too.

There is a third known issue with Passenger Restraint System, but BMW doesn?t have a recall on it. You need to scan your card with Airbag scanner, DIS or INPA. You will see the error saying: firing circuit resistance too high. This is the error of the positive cable safety system. There is small explosive on the cable that should disconnect the cable in case of accident. Something inside that circuit goes bad and that triggers the code. I talk to few BMW shops and this issue becomes more and more popular. This is why I changed my battery cable for the newer model.
Before you start replacing parts have your system scanned, so you know what problem are you dealing with.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: f10 535d M sport e46 330cic vert
Model Year: 2015

Originally Posted by krzyschicago
Same problem here, and it is pissing off. Sent an email to BMW few days ago, and was told that my vin is not part of the recall. 2005 545i. I have already read about so many cars out there that were somehow not covered either that it makes me think this recall was a big f$@% joke.

I remeber reading posts by people who somehow got it repaired at no charge, even though cars were not part of the recall. Can anyone advise? I am not going to pay s#$ to fix it. At least not without a fight. Can someone shed some light how did you do to convince BMW to pay? Should we start with filing a claim with NHTSA?

Does anyone know what build dates were actually covered in the recall? Do I just need to call the Stealership and give them my VIN? Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions, Brad
Old 09-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Members

My Ride: '09 e60 n54 white/black

I called a BMW dealer here in Miami and they asked me for the last 7 digits on the vin, they said the battery thing was on the recall list for my vehicle, so i'm gonna have them check it out..
Old 09-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Members

My Ride: See signature

I don't have the recall notice from BMW regarding the seat mat, but here is the article that appeared on on MSNBC:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26179745/#.UGCs5q4prPU

Quick Reply: Passenger Resraint System malfunction