E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Parkng assist mal-function

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013 | 01:25 AM
New Members

Default Parkng assist mal-function

Hey Guys,

my parking assist is on the blink, literally. I have a 2006 523i. There's a button for switching on/off the Parking Assits, beneath the CD player. The green LED for that button is blinking. Is there a way to reset the parking assist system?

The Unit itself sells for around $400 here, $300 in the US. I've opened up my damaged unit and a few of the diodes are rusty. Tried cleaning them, letting it dry and re-attaching, no change. Still blinking.

It started blinking after the spare wheel bay was flooded. There's an electronic device where the spare wheel is located in the trunk, and that by was flooded with 25 litres of water. The device was fully submerged for around 10 minutes. I had a warning come up in iDrive : Stop the car carefully, central electrical system failure. I drained it, let detached the device, let it dry out naturally and re-attached it. There was also a warning about the Crusie Control system failing, but that has recovered and is working well. There are now no warnings, but when I hit reverse the parking assist doesn't engage.

I thought I'd fried the entire electrical system for a while, and these days, apart from the rubber on the tyres, there isn't much else that's not electronic. So I'm relieved, to say the least, that thecar is otherwise fine. Still, it'd be nice to get parking assist running again.