E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Parking

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by tuffluck
what kind of camaro? i had a 2000 Z28. i owned it for several years and never once did i pull it in too far when parking. guess you just have to know your car well, or if you don't, just give yourself the extra room.

I have a 92, the last year of the thirdgens. You can't see the front of the hood when driving. There's maybe 6" of clearance between the bottom of the front end and the ground.

The 4th and 5th gens are much more forgiving.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pukka
I have a 92, the last year of the thirdgens. You can't see the front of the hood when driving. There's maybe 6" of clearance between the bottom of the front end and the ground.

The 4th and 5th gens are much more forgiving.
hehe, mine was about the same with the lowering springs on...very low.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Members

Front in. The time it takes most people to back into a spot and I pull in forward and back out 3 times--so the "it saves time" argument does not make sense to me. It seems to make more sense to pull in forward with better visualization into the tighter spot and then back out into an area with more room.

Maybe it is due to my own driving ability (or lack thereof) that I am more comfortable that way. I do have to admit that some people can back in straighter than I can go in forwards.

Also--it drives me crazy when you are behind someone in the parking lot and they then put it in reverse to back in, when it would have been just as easy (easier in my case) to pull in forward. There are times when backing in is better, but not many.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 535i M Sport
Model Year: 2010

I nearly always back in and and can do so very quickly. As others have said, not only is it easier to maneuver when backing in, it's a whole lot safer when pulling out of the parking spot. I never feel comfortable backing out of a parking spot -- too many drivers out there searching for a parking spot and not paying attention to what's directly ahead of them.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.

I back in and I go front in.... i go in and out up and down all around, all day long but w/ my Daewoo Laganza, M stays parked home most of the week
Old 09-04-2010, 06:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by tuffluck
i really hate to be the devil's advocate here, but i hate when people back in. i just don't get it. if you're afraid of curbing your bumper, just don't pull in all the way. it's not like pulling in 3" away from a curb is going to cause your rear-end to stick out that much that you're going to get nabbed by a passing car as a result. i think it's easier to hit the cars on either side of you while you back in as well. i don't really care how good you are at it, there is a reason cars are made to be driven forwards rather than backwards all the time--you have more control going in a forward motion. easier exit, sure, longer time spent parking as well; you're really not saving any time.

also i would venture to guess cars that are backed in are broken into more often. just stands out a lot and very easy to look in the non-tinted front windshield. and to the last guy, if your car stands out, people are more likely to fuck with it, key it, etc. cars that look nice and fancy are antagonized more than appreciated this day in age.
I hear what your saying.. I back in, but it depends where.. if im all alone then im at the end and i nose in.. but sometimes nosing in and leaving your ass out leaves opportunity for idiots who dont know how to judge space hit my butt..lol.. cant have that now
Old 09-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bighersh
There are a fair number of 3 & 5-series BMW's in my parking lot, with a dash of 1-series, 7-series, and X5's. What I've noticed is, most of us driving 5's "back in" to our parking spots. Typically when I see one pulled in, it's generally a lady driving it, or an older guy who's either lost his MoJo, or doesn't think any more of his 5 series, than he did the Corolla he traded in for it.

Most of the time when I see user's pics on this site, I notice the car is usually backed in as well. I know it's not a BMW thing, because most of the truck-guys back in too.

I do it for a few reasons-

1.) Everyone can't do it. (Most of these jokers can't get between the lines driving (pulling) straight in, let alone backing in).

2.) I think it's cool. (I backed in everything I've owned).

3.) We always had to back our vehicles in, in the military (Combat parking) for quicker departure, so I'm used to it.

4.) Safety. (It's easier to avoid parking lot fender benders when you can see and be seen).

How do you park, and why?
Well then I'm just that special lady...,bc I always back my car in...it's easier to get out if your spot. And I want ppl to see how manly my baby looks. Lol.