E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Parking

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

There are a fair number of 3 & 5-series BMW's in my parking lot, with a dash of 1-series, 7-series, and X5's. What I've noticed is, most of us driving 5's "back in" to our parking spots. Typically when I see one pulled in, it's generally a lady driving it, or an older guy who's either lost his MoJo, or doesn't think any more of his 5 series, than he did the Corolla he traded in for it.

Most of the time when I see user's pics on this site, I notice the car is usually backed in as well. I know it's not a BMW thing, because most of the truck-guys back in too.

I do it for a few reasons-

1.) Everyone can't do it. (Most of these jokers can't get between the lines driving (pulling) straight in, let alone backing in).

2.) I think it's cool. (I backed in everything I've owned).

3.) We always had to back our vehicles in, in the military (Combat parking) for quicker departure, so I'm used to it.

4.) Safety. (It's easier to avoid parking lot fender benders when you can see and be seen).

How do you park, and why?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

I've always reversed in as well. At first it used to be a racer thing where I grew up. All the lowered cars would have a low front end and everyone would reverse in to prevent scraping the front lip/bumper. It grew into a habit.

I also think it's much easier to reverse in than to pull head in. That's because you have control of the front wheels, which makes reversing in possible at sharper angles. If you were to go head in first, no control over the rear wheels leaves little wiggle room when making a sharp turn into a stall. Did that make sense? Having difficulty describing it, haha.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

Originally Posted by Kaizen
I've always reversed in as well. At first it used to be a racer thing where I grew up. All the lowered cars would have a low front end and everyone would reverse in to prevent scraping the front lip/bumper. It grew into a habit.

I also think it's much easier to reverse in than to pull head in. That's because you have control of the front wheels, which makes reversing in possible at sharper angles. If you were to go head in first, no control over the rear wheels leaves little wiggle room when making a sharp turn into a stall. Did that make sense? Having difficulty describing it, haha.
Yes I do! Ha!, I've been backing in so long now, I think I can back in better than I can pull in, for the same reason; into my garage included. LOL.

Side-topic. I was driving my friends 7 the other day, and he was in a hurry to get back home before the food we'd bought got cold. I was rolling about 75 - 85 (not my car, plus I'm still vividly remembering the speeding ticket and six hours of driver's education that followed) so I was taking it easy.

He was like, "Man, pull over- I'll drive". So, we hit the Dallas North Tollway, exited on George Bush heading east towards Highway 75, a good 11 mile stretch of highway, with maybe 2 curves in it. DPD is ever-present on that road, but this night, they were nowhere in sight.

He was blasting down the George Bush Turnpike at 115 - 120 MPH. He has the Meinshaft (Sp) muffler on it, so it was sounding real good. We had a 3-series coupe shoot past us, and disappear (he must;ve been doign 150) just as we passed through the Coit Rd. toll plaza, but- I digress. We got back to the house in record time. We were 4-deep in the car, and my cousin's in the back seat were speechless the entire +/- 14 mile ride back.

Thinking about how powerful that 745 felt (especially with him driving it) I'm now itching to drive a 545 or a 550, just to see how that car feels.

Having the same power a 7 has, in a smaller, lighter car than the 7- must mean you guys with the privledge of having a 545/550- must be grinning ear to ear, every time you get to "stretch the legs" on it. It's got to be an amazing difference in performance feel to go from a 525 to a 545. I know that already- just from the numbers- but reading about it, is not like driving it.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Back in. Reasons why?

1. Years of combat parking vehicles in the Army, force of habit.

2. Safety

3. Saves the front bumper from damage.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by stoic1
Back in. Reasons why?

1. Years of combat parking vehicles in the Army, force of habit.

2. Safety

3. Saves the front bumper from damage.
Hooah! 1st Cavalry!

I was stationed at Fort Hod twice, but never in 1st Cav. I was in 3rd Signal Brigade for both stations (57th SIG & 16th SIG BN).

3rd ID: Wurzburg, West Germany, 1987 - 1990 (Was there when the wall came down)
11th SIG BDE: Ft. Huachuca, AZ: (Desert Storm Vet), 1990 - 1991
3rd SIG BDE: Ft. Hood, TX, 57th SIG BN, 1992 - 1994
2nd ID: Uijongbu, South Korea, 1994 - 1995
3rd SIG BDE: Ft. Hood, TX, 16th SIG BN, 1995 - 1996
Old 09-01-2010, 12:19 PM
@mr
Members

My Ride: BMW 525i e60 (private) M-style,, Carbon Black, HUD, MM Interface. And a BMW 325 e90 (Business),

I back in..

why?

Then I am faster out of the parkinglot at work and on my way home at the end of the day
Old 09-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

I guess I'll buck the trend....

The only time I back in to a parking space is when I'm in a public garage.

Given the slightest opportunity I will parallel park
Old 09-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

ya i always back into so i can get out easier and my front bumper dont nip the curb
Old 09-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Members

Originally Posted by inktoxicated
ya i always back into so i can get out easier and my front bumper dont nip the curb
I like the way your car is sitting. You don't see many 5's on 20's. Is there a link to more pics of your car? Any rubbing on bumps or dips with that set-up? Any mods required to shoehorn the 20's under there?
Old 09-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

I simply pull in, BMW has a very good turning radius and there is no reason why you can't park straight. Now of'course there will be exceptions like, if you have a lowered car and have a spoiler or Mtec or M5 front bumpers, then I would back in to a parking spot to make sure I don't scrape the bumper. The reason I always pull in instead of the latter is because I don't want to create attention to my car. Somebody with bad spirit spot the car parked different from the others and therefore might be stupid enought to vandalize your car. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Parking