E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Park Distance Control

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

[[/quote]
Disadvantage: when the beep is continous and the display gets red there still is enough room, so it's not very accurate.
[snapback]96743[/snapback]
[/quote]

For me continuous beep / red display is equal to about 15cm - thats close enough for me.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

Originally Posted by derrickj' date='Mar 3 2005, 02:59 PM
Wow, every single one of the posts is for it.? I am going to disagree with majority, so take my opinion for what it is worth, but I find it utterly useless.? Granted, I never parrallel park and if I did I might see its value, but by the time the I-Drive Screen boots up and I have dismissed the lawyer screen, I am almost always backed out of my parking spot or my garage.? By the time the graphic comes up, its too late.? I have Nav and that may be the issue, but if I had to do it all over again, I would unquestionably leave this feature off.? With a faster I-Drive start-up and the ability to use it, I might change my mind, but as of today, I only find it to be an annoying grey screen I have to dismiss immediately after the lawyer screen.
[snapback]96711[/snapback]
Sounds like if you are in the US and don't have to parrallel park (and have to wait for the legal screen), it might be a bit redundant. PDC is standard across the sports models in the UK anyway.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d GT, Blue, Beige Dakota Leather, Pro Sat Nav, Interior Lights Pack, Adaptive Lights, Advanced Aircon

I believe that in the UK nowadays PDC is essential, especially if you do any city driving/parking.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

I think it is very useful, I am glad I have it. I don't have a scratch on my car, and it is one of the reasons.

In my last BMW without PDC, I was backing out of a parking spot at a shop and they had posts that were only abut 3 ft. high behind, so you could not see it in the rearview mirror. I got a nice scratch on my rear bumper from those posts, something that wouldn't happen if I had PDC.

If it saves you from even one dented or scratched bumper, the price alone is worth it.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Wilchwitz' date='Mar 3 2005, 05:41 AM
PDC is a worthwhile option and I encourage you to get it.? Plus its another thing on the E60 to amuse and astound your friends with the first time they see it.
[snapback]96550[/snapback]
Nah... they'll go DANG for that much money and you didnt even get a Camera one like the Lexus GS and Infiniti M?
Old 03-03-2005, 08:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Its worth it. I am glad its now standard on the 545s. Its not only used for parallel parking. Infact it will not stop you hitting the curb. There is a pole in parking space I head into every day at work. I have to switch PDC on as I nose in and park the car within a foot of the pole. Without the PDC I would probablybe 2-3 feet away every time.

For this I wish the PDC button was closer with easier access. maybe a steering wheel programable button.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:46 AM
Contributors

Useless piece of sh*t in my opinion, wouldn't pay a dime (or crown?) for it. I wouldn't mind it if I could activate upon demand. Once again, I hit the PDC & idrive button/knob the second my car starts without looking. Never needed it before and I don't need it now.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i, Steptronic, coldweather, comfort seats, Logic 7, front/rear seat heaters, navigation. sirius

To be honest...

It works very well and will impress your friends but I've never had a problem parking a car without that feature and this one's no different whenever I don't use it.

It's a standard feature on the 545i so I have it but I'd have never got it as an option. Given a choice I would've got the car without it as I think the car looks better without the dimples on the bumper and it's really not that difficult to park.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 M6: Silverstone Metallic... Fully loaded2005 DINAN5 (545i): Jet Black... Fully loaded1955 Chevy: Custom

It is a great option to have, helps in most parking situations.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by marty530d' date='Mar 3 2005, 11:20 AM
For me continuous beep / red display is equal to about 15cm - thats close enough for me.
[snapback]96749[/snapback]
15cm ? it's only about 6". is it another euro spec thing ? the continuous beep/red display is equal to about 30cm/12" over here in the states .

back to topic. pdc is just like plasma tv. do you want it? yes. do you need it? no. want and need are two very different things. no one needs pdc but it definitely comes in handy. if someone need pdc because they can't park w/o it, they better take a few more driving lessons before they drive. we've been driving without this kind of gadget before and most of us didn't have any problems. so it's really up to you if you want it or not. i have pdc. i paid for it, i use it, i like it and i'll definitely get them (even if i have to pay) again in my next car if it doesn't come standard .