E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parental Controls on our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Some time ago, in the middle of a long thread about the tragic death of some young kids driving on a private air strip in an M5, I mentioned the concept of BMW adding some sort of "parental controls" to the car's electronic systems to help prevent this type of tragedy.

The following is a quote from that post:
Originally Posted by Rudy' post='523760' date='Jan 28 2008, 09:50 AM
This incident is quite tragic indeed and I'm not sure what else to say other than to offer my sympathy to all the families that were affected by this event.

It does remind me of something I often think about with regard to something BMW could do to help prevent these incidents from occurring in the future. Obviously, this isn't BMW's fault and it's not BMW's responsibility to prevent these things from happening but there is something that can be done to add an additional "safety net" for situations where immaturity and/or lack of experience override common sense and skill. (If I think back to the days when I was 18, if my father had an M5 in the garage and went out of town with my mother, I doubt I'd have found an airport runway in the middle of the night to drive on but it's still likely I would have done something stupid with the car -- even though my dad told me not to drive it...)

The concept I'm speaking of? How about adding some sort of "parental controls" to the software of our cars. For example, my E30 M3 (1989) had a "code" feature that allowed me to preset a four-digit code when turning the car off. Once a code was set, the car could not be started unless it was entered again. I'm pretty sure that when BMW put this feature in those earlier cars, it was designed as an anti-theft device more than a parental control but clearly it could've been used for either.

Taking that process a bit further, BMW could setup different "permissions" in software that could allow different drivers (with different codes) to be used to "unlock" things like the ability to start the car or the ability to unleash the car's full potential, etc. For example, there could be a menu of options that could be turned on or off by the car's "administrator" that would allow a person to tailor the different settings to different "users."

Some examples of the settings could be:
  • Turn off the ability to disable DSC.
  • Have the ability to adjust the speed limiter down to some lower maximum speed.
  • Prevent an M-car from turning on the "M" button or, on SMG cars, not allowing certain drivelogic modes.
  • Have the ability select a mode that reduces the car's horsepower and/or redline.
  • Disable the transmission from starting in 1st gear.
  • Etcetera, etc.

The list is limited only by the imagination, I suppose...

Again, I'm not saying BMW is to blame here but in the age of the V-chip, etc., why not offer some control over these 500hp beasts?
(You can read the post in it's original thread here if you want.)

Interestingly, it looks like Ford has taken the initiative to incorporate something similar on the Focus Coupe for model year 2010...
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/06/ford-in...orried-parents/

All I can say is -- good job Ford BMW should follow this lead and add something similar to the iDrive system and/or the key (as Ford did.) It makes way too much sense, at least to me...
Old 10-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='687844' date='Oct 7 2008, 09:22 PM
All I can say is -- good job Ford BMW should follow this lead and add something similar to the iDrive system and/or the key (as Ford did.) It makes way too much sense, at least to me...
+1, thanx for sharing the info Rudy
Old 10-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, but this is nothing new and the technology is certainly there. In 1990 the $80,000 ($150,000 street) Corvette ZR-1 with the 405hp handbuilt Mercury Marine engine had a "valet switch" that would detune the engine to 150HP. Fast forward 19/20 years and add electronic engine management...I don't see why this isn't being done by more of the major manufacturers. Insurance companies could also offer a discount for cars with these restrictions for teen or young drivers.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Thanks for sharing Rudy. I remember reading this article earlier this morning.

Originally Posted by alexf9496' post='687853' date='Oct 7 2008, 11:32 PM
Agreed, but this is nothing new and the technology is certainly there. In 1990 the $80,000 ($150,000 street) Corvette ZR-1 with the 405hp handbuilt Mercury Marine engine had a "valet switch" that would detune the engine to 150HP. Fast forward 19/20 years and add electronic engine management...I don't see why this isn't being done by more of the major manufacturers. Insurance companies could also offer a discount for cars with these restrictions.
+1 Definitely worthy feature.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

I like the "valet" switch idea, but I'm sorry - When I leave town, I'd lock the guns and the cars up. I'm not a big fan of "nanny" technology.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Contributors

I would love the "nanny technology". Even when giving the car to say an airport valet - I would much rather the valet drive my car the 2 km to the valet lot in 150hp mode rather than 500hp mode. We actually had a case here at the airport where some valet took a customers 2003 SL65 AMG out of the garage on an "unauthorized trip" and smashed it in a concrete wall, destroyed the car.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Senior Members

So I can't wrap a Prius around a tree but I can an M5? Most adults can't work the parental controls on their damn television which they sit in front, what makes you think BMW, something with more computers than most other cars let alone a television set, would be able to work it? Why not beat some sense into your child? At 19, I know not to test how well my AWD is working around a corner in residential areas and I try to leave my dad one less thing too worry about when I'm out driving.

If it's implemented into cars, it shouldn't be because of kids driving it, it should be for people that buy M5s for class or social reasons and can't handle a 500HP car. I know I wouldn't know what to do with it, what would a "responsible" adult do if they want just 280 of the 500 HP for highway driving?

But then it defeats the purpose of the car. More people will complain, and you've just added a whole new aspect to the iDrive system for people to complain more about. And kids these days will find ways around it. I'm sure you can hack an iDrive with sometihng.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by alexf9496' post='687853' date='Oct 8 2008, 12:32 AM
Agreed, but this is nothing new and the technology is certainly there. In 1990 the $80,000 ($150,000 street) Corvette ZR-1 with the 405hp handbuilt Mercury Marine engine had a "valet switch" that would detune the engine to 150HP. Fast forward 19/20 years and add electronic engine management...I don't see why this isn't being done by more of the major manufacturers. Insurance companies could also offer a discount for cars with these restrictions.
i think this is added safety and peace of mind... and i agree with alex.. insurance companies should offer reduced rates.. its almost like.. if not better, that stupid safety course that we can pay someone to get us a certificate for.. and then get a discount on our insurance.. this is not to say that our kids or anyone who uses our cars for that matter cant get into a car accident at slower speeds and less horsepower.. i think it just helps and takes that edge off us worrying that theyll try to race the car around with friends..im for it.. i read the article from yesterdays paper about ford this morning.. +1
Old 10-08-2008, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by E60714' post='687951' date='Oct 8 2008, 03:26 AM
Why not beat some sense into your child?
You can beat some sense into them but you can't beat driving talent into them. Sometimes, kids with good intentions get into bad situations because they don't know what to do with a high-performance car since their driving skills aren't refined enough, etc.

In addition to that, I disagree with pretty much everything else you said...
Old 10-08-2008, 05:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I could use this feature for myself currently.

Quick Reply: Parental Controls on our cars?