E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Parental Controls on our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by E60714' post='687951' date='Oct 8 2008, 09:26 AM
I'm sure you can hack an iDrive with sometihng.
So far there is no hack for it.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='688053' date='Oct 8 2008, 03:40 PM
I could use this feature for myself currently.
I'd give that key to my wife and don't let her know about...
Old 10-08-2008, 06:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='687887' date='Oct 7 2008, 10:39 PM
I like the "valet" switch idea, but I'm sorry - When I leave town, I'd lock the guns and the cars up. I'm not a big fan of "nanny" technology.
I'm not a fan of nannytech either, but only when it comes from big government intruding in our lives. I see the vehicular example of nannytech as an option only. Either it's a box you check at your dealer or a built in option you may or may not use. Your call. No one's telling you to use it.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Westcoast M5' post='687925' date='Oct 7 2008, 11:27 PM
I would much rather the valet drive my car the 2 km to the valet lot in 150hp mode rather than 500hp mode.
Yep...take away all temptation.

We actually had a case here at the airport where some valet took a customers 2003 SL65 AMG out of the garage on an "unauthorized trip" and smashed it in a concrete wall, destroyed the car.
Plenty of cases where attendants pull a Ferris Bueller and screw up a car....
Old 10-08-2008, 06:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by Westcoast M5' post='687925' date='Oct 8 2008, 02:27 AM
I would love the "nanny technology". Even when giving the car to say an airport valet - I would much rather the valet drive my car the 2 km to the valet lot in 150hp mode rather than 500hp mode. We actually had a case here at the airport where some valet took a customers 2003 SL65 AMG out of the garage on an "unauthorized trip" and smashed it in a concrete wall, destroyed the car.
A few years ago , the VCR airport valets added 30km to my old Ford Explorer using it as a shuttle and then crunched the front bumper...........After that I have never used the valet system there.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='688131' date='Oct 8 2008, 07:55 AM
A few years ago , the VCR airport valets added 30km to my old Ford Explorer using it as a shuttle and then crunched the front bumper...........After that I have never used the valet system there.
I try not to use valet, unless absolutely necessary. Those valet guys at VCR are now working at your favorite restaurant, parking garage, etc....
Old 10-08-2008, 07:48 AM
Senior Members

wow, thanks for sharing Rudy good read indeed
Old 10-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by alexf9496' post='687853' date='Oct 7 2008, 09:32 PM
Agreed, but this is nothing new and the technology is certainly there. In 1990 the $80,000 ($150,000 street) Corvette ZR-1 with the 405hp handbuilt Mercury Marine engine had a "valet switch" that would detune the engine to 150HP. Fast forward 19/20 years and add electronic engine management...I don't see why this isn't being done by more of the major manufacturers. Insurance companies could also offer a discount for cars with these restrictions for teen or young drivers.
BTW - the valet switch was part of the Electronic Engine management - it was easy - it shut down the second set of engine injectors.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats
Lightbulb

Rudy - the point is well taken and the bottom line is this:

You wouldn't leave a gun lying around the home without adequate precaution even with a trigger lock simply because the result of that being used erroneously is = catastrophic.
High performance vehicles need to be considered in a similar manner. Were I ever to own an M5, my kids would NEVER be allowed near it, the keys would be kept far away and they would drive their 199x Hondas and Fords till they got their own money to afford a vehicle of this degree. There is a maturity factor here that needs to build in that kids these days seem to have forgotten about. If you can work your tail off to own one of these puppies, you then have the right to drive it. If you don't, then fawgetabowitit.....

Maybe Im getting old fashioned but that's the way I see things... Oh, and as for the valet arguement -- you're kidding right!??! Give the keys to your 110K loaded vehicle to a high school kid on his summer job that may have just got his licence..... What is the world coming to???
Old 10-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='688321' date='Oct 8 2008, 02:33 PM
Rudy - the point is well taken and the bottom line is this:

You wouldn't leave a gun lying around the home without adequate precaution even with a trigger lock simply because the result of that being used erroneously is = catastrophic.
High performance vehicles need to be considered in a similar manner. Were I ever to own an M5, my kids would NEVER be allowed near it, the keys would be kept far away and they would drive their 199x Hondas and Fords till they got their own money to afford a vehicle of this degree. There is a maturity factor here that needs to build in that kids these days seem to have forgotten about. If you can work your tail off to own one of these puppies, you then have the right to drive it. If you don't, then fawgetabowitit.....

Maybe Im getting old fashioned but that's the way I see things... Oh, and as for the valet arguement -- you're kidding right!??! Give the keys to your 110K loaded vehicle to a high school kid on his summer job that may have just got his licence..... What is the world coming to???
Keep in mind that my position isn't just about the M5...

In many families, it's not reasonable to "NEVER" give the kids the keys to one of the cars. Parental controls could be just as useful to a Hyndai owner that has a young, inexperienced driver in the house. I think BMW should add this feature to all of their cars -- remember it doesn't need to be turned on by default so it would only interfere when the owner chooses to implement it. The M5 argument only muddies the waters -- I wouldn't let a teenage driver have the M5 either until I felt it was safe. If I had a 3 series, I may not be as worried but still the car's capabilities far outweigh the talent of a inexperienced driver...

(BTW, I have the V-chips in all of my televisions in the house programmed to block shows of a certain rating or higher. I realize many people can't figure all that "fancy" stuff out but for me, it was a no-brainer and it clearly does what I need it to do.)

Quick Reply: Parental Controls on our cars?