E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

paint finish

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 02:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E53 E60 E92

Originally Posted by chris.y' post='463945' date='Aug 29 2007, 05:06 PM
I had similar spotting on my car after parking it under an oak tree when it was raining and then having the car dry in the sun. Apparently there's something acidic about oak and it etched the paint.

I had a detailer wet sand the surface and the etching went away. As I understand it, this can happen with bird droppings and other acidic stuff that ends up on your car also.
I have a bird drop etched on the hood of my Audi, about the size of a nickel. It ate all the way through the clear coat, nothing short of repainting will do it, good thing my Audi is pearl color so not too obvious.

The strange thing is, I had bird drops before many-many times and never had problem until this one, not sure if that bird just fed at Tabasco factory or somehting

That's why I Zymoled my 535i right away; though if it can eats through a clear coat I can't see how wax can protect it.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Shucks I wish I had trees where I park my car only 1 tree on my property as lightning took care of the rest and the other trees are 50 feet away at the rear I guess I just got a bad paint from the factory as I have not heard from any others with dark color cars haveing this problem. I am gonna check and see if a wet sand and reclear will do the trick and how much guess I should have waited i and not be the first to buy anyho thanks guys
Old 08-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Senior Members

Buddy, I have the exact same issue with my 2004 530i (Nov 2003 production). The etching is all over the hood, roof and trunk. I bought the car used with 7900 miles on it, a year old in September 2004. It was pristine when I bought it, not a single spot anywhere. The spots have been slowly adding on over the past 4 years. Like you, I am completely anal about where I park. I don't park near sprinklers or under trees. The car is always garaged. A bird can actually shit on my car, and I will wipe it off immediately and see etching. Ridiculous. You can best see the water spots/etching in fluorescent light or in any non-natural light. Back when it was under warranty, I complained to the dealer and they told me the same thing - it must be environmental. Well, I live in Jacksonville, FL and I baby the hell out of this thing. There is no acid rain here. Give me a break.

What is the fix to these water spots? I have tried light polish with a PC Orbital to no avail. I also tried the acid bath using vinegar. Heavier polish maybe? What next? These spots are driving me crazy. I would just like to get that mirror finish that it used to have and not worry that my paint looks all pocked up when seen in the garage or under street lights at night.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by buddy' post='462881' date='Aug 27 2007, 06:27 AM
I am very upset with the paint on my 04 530, and more dissapointed with the field service rep. I have a jet black car that i keep very clean and waxed, however I have bad pitting and water spots all over the car hood, roof, and trunk.
Jet black (non-metallic black) is the most sensitive color of them all.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='646693' date='Aug 14 2008, 11:19 AM
Jet black (non-metallic black) is the most sensitive color of them all.
Amen to that .
Old 08-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Engine: 530i

Well nothing has changed except it looks worse in certain lighting situations, I have given up on Na helping and , just think I will continue to keep it at clean as posible and curse every time I look at it.

And probably get it repainted completly at some point, I am looking to get a M3 sooner or later (later now as Daughter is going to college and, and had to get her an off campus apartment so I gotta wait alittle longer).

Jerzy black is the color I want, but with all these paint issues I am nervous about that color and may change to the granite color. I also want the new Idrive system so I am waiting on that too.

Anyone know when that would be put into production?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

You need an FMINUS or piyu job on your car. That will get it all out or at least to the visible eye.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:50 AM
Senior Members

I've got to say that dark BMW paints are not the best I have seen either. My 05 545i has etching on it and a smudge that looks like bird poop sat too long that I can't do anything about...like it ate through the clear coat. Too much orange peal in the paint too. My prev silver 530i however was great.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

I noticed a while back water marks like on the trunk only believe it or not. First I thought I did not wash the car properly and then I buffed the hell out of it several times with different types of Polish and wax, it got a little better and I think I'm the only one that can notice it now. As to the paint job on your car, it is obvious that the spray booth was not cleaned properly before painting the car or they just have a bad spray booth. I would call the BMW NA rep and ask him if this is acceptable paint job for a BMW? I'm sure they will do something about it. Good Luck

Originally Posted by buddy' post='463889' date='Aug 29 2007, 03:32 PM
Okay guys I posted pics now give me some insight. Anyone else have this problem even on a minor level? Should the paint or clear coat I should say have pitted and spotted like that? Help as I will be writing to BMW NA soon and need more ammo if I can have some.