E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

paint finish

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007 | 07:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

I am very upset with the paint on my 04 530, and more dissapointed with the field service rep. I have a jet black car that i keep very clean and waxed, however I have bad pitting and water spots all over the car hood, roof, and trunk. I had the rep look at it last year and he stated that it was environmental and would not be covered as a warrenty. As a result I was upset but could live with just the water spots as they could only be seen at certain angles. But I informed the dealer that I have 4 cars 1 of which is another 5 series e34 model that is 17 years old and does not have an environmental and neither does any other of my cars.

Fast forward another year and it continues to get worse so I called North America and they got the rep out again I was supposed to be notified so I could be there, but he came and left with the same out come. What would be the next step to get this obvious problem rectified it is to the point that I think the car has to be repainted clear coat is obviously hosed.

I stripped the wax off clayed polished and waxed today and it was not a pretty site would have had pics, but as you know with all that work it rained so pics to follow. Are there any other e60 members with similar paint problems? I have never talked to the rep as he seems like a thief in the night.

I don't think that a 50,000 dollar car that is well taken care of have to be repainted or at the least the clear stripped and reapplied.

As I stated pics to follow:
Old 08-26-2007 | 07:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by buddy' post='462881' date='Aug 26 2007, 07:27 PM
I am very upset with the paint on my 04 530, and more dissapointed with the field service rep. I have a jet black car that i keep very clean and waxed, however I have bad pitting and water spots all over the car hood, roof, and trunk. I had the rep look at it last year and he stated that it was environmental and would not be covered as a warrenty. As a result I was upset but could live with just the water spots as they could only be seen at certain angles. But I informed the dealer that I have 4 cars 1 of which is another 5 series e34 model that is 17 years old and does not have an environmental and neither does any other of my cars.

Fast forward another year and it continues to get worse so I called North America and they got the rep out again I was supposed to be notified so I could be there, but he came and left with the same out come. What would be the next step to get this obvious problem rectified it is to the point that I think the car has to be repainted clear coat is obviously hosed.

I stripped the wax off clayed polished and waxed today and it was not a pretty site would have had pics, but as you know with all that work it rained so pics to follow. Are there any other e60 members with similar paint problems? I have never talked to the rep as he seems like a thief in the night.

I don't think that a 50,000 dollar car that is well taken care of have to be repainted or at the least the clear stripped and reapplied.

Did you buy the car new? CPO?
Old 08-26-2007 | 08:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an

Originally Posted by E60M5E60' post='462884' date='Aug 26 2007, 09:42 PM
Did you buy the car new? CPO?

Brand spanking new October of 03 the first one in the city so as you can imagine my car has been in the shop numerous times but only for minor things but in the shop none the less. The dealer is great and was the one that told me to call BMW NA. 42000 miles on it now but in excellant condition other than the paint.
Old 08-27-2007 | 08:23 AM
Members

It would be very helpful if you would post detailed close-up images of the problem spots. Water spots on paint ... The only thing I can imagine is that you had some bad acid rain or you drove where there was a real bad pollution that damaged your paint.

Probably when we see the pictures some of us will recognize the problem.
Old 08-27-2007 | 09:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by buddy' post='462881' date='Aug 26 2007, 08:27 PM

Greetings:

To all, please see my comments , as well as others comments on my original post of " Reliabile, YA RITE. " This is the typical situation that I have complaints about. For $50K the E60 has problems that far exceed expectations for a BMW. Others dissagree, as they well have the right too, however, it is obvious that BMW short changed a large group with the E60. Never again for me

Chromedome
Old 08-27-2007 | 10:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D AM SPORT 06 (07 for you US Guys ;-) Carbon Black Professional Sat Nav 6CD Changer Automatic Aircondition Advance (Standard fit) Bluetooth Telephone Preperation with Telematics Preperation Extended Voice Control System M 19" Mixed Wheels Style 172M BMW Online BMW Assist Graduated Tinted Windscreen Bi-Xenon Headlights Adaptive Headlights Headlight Wash System Black Dakota Leather Rear Spoiler Spare Wheel M Rear Spoler Sun Protection Glass Heated Front Seats BMW Velour Floor Mats BMW Service and Maintenance for 5 years/60,000 miles Tracker - Echo

Post some pics so we know how it looks!?
Old 08-27-2007 | 11:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lmritter' post='463027' date='Aug 27 2007, 09:58 AM
Greetings:

To all, please see my comments , as well as others comments on my original post of " Reliabile, YA RITE. " This is the typical situation that I have complaints about. For $50K the E60 has problems that far exceed expectations for a BMW. Others dissagree, as they well have the right too, however, it is obvious that BMW short changed a large group with the E60. Never again for me
Chromedome
Chromedome, you seem very fast in pulling the trigger. How did you determine the cause of this problem. From the original post it can be either a bad paint or it can equally be the paint was exposed to conditions that deteriorate it, in which case it could happen to any car and any paint exposed to the same conditions.

You are entitled to have an opinion, positive or negative about a car brand but just jumping in every post trying to back up your opinion without any hard facts it really achieves the exact opposite.

Sorry to the rest of the forums members for "hijacking" this tread as this post is not related to "buddys" original post.
Old 08-27-2007 | 11:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by E60M5E60' post='463049' date='Aug 27 2007, 12:19 PM
Chromedome, you seem very fast in pulling the trigger. How did you determine the cause of this problem. From the original post it can be either a bad paint or it can equally be the paint was exposed to conditions that deteriorate it, in which case it could happen to any car and any paint exposed to the same conditions.

You are entitled to have an opinion, positive or negative about a car brand but just jumping in every post trying to back up your opinion without any hard facts it really achieves the exact opposite.

Sorry to the rest of the forums members for "hijacking" this tread as this post is not related to "buddys" original post.
YO:

From " buddys" original post... " I have never talked to the rep, as he seems to be a thief in the night " One could say that this has something to do with customer service. Other complaints about BMWNA giving one the stock awnser of " Every dealer is independant " is pertinent here. Hard facts???? The chronic complaining on this forum about quality and customer service serves as my " hard facts " No other car forum ( except maybe one from the " Pinto " ) has so many quality complaints. It speaks for itself. What do you want me to say to " buddy " Hey don't worry, just work your butt off trying to get BMW to back up thier cars, then have your car repainted and loose the intrinsic value in your $50K investment.. hey by the way good luck buddy. I have my " hard facts " in the mul;itple breakdowns in my 5. Go to a Porsche Cayman forum...any quality complaints?? few..........................................
Chromedome
Old 08-27-2007 | 11:37 AM
Senior Members

Thanks guys so far as I stated I will try and post some pics tonight if I make it home before it gets dark. I also stated that i\I have 3 other cars that are in the same drive way that dont have this problem at all, as for an area that could have been that has acid rain nope fartherest I have been is to DC, Leesburg area and did not rain while I was there and if it did it does not stay on the car long enough to screw up the paint like that. I also noticed at the beginging that bird droppings no matter how quickly you get them off would etch the paint.
Old 08-27-2007 | 11:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lmritter' post='463053' date='Aug 27 2007, 11:35 AM
YO:

From " buddys" original post... " I have never talked to the rep, as he seems to be a thief in the night " One could say that this has something to do with customer service. Other complaints about BMWNA giving one the stock awnser of " Every dealer is independant " is pertinent here. Hard facts???? The chronic complaining on this forum about quality and customer service serves as my " hard facts " No other car forum ( except maybe one from the " Pinto " ) has so many quality complaints. It speaks for itself. What do you want me to say to " buddy " Hey don't worry, just work your butt off trying to get BMW to back up thier cars, then have your car repainted and loose the intrinsic value in your $50K investment.. hey by the way good luck buddy. I have my " hard facts " in the mul;itple breakdowns in my 5. Go to a Porsche Cayman forum...any quality complaints?? few..........................................
Chromedome
You're better off then spend your time try to buy a Cayman rather than complaining here. At least after that you'll be complaining in another forum. Thats a given. We've heard you loud and clear.

Quick Reply: paint finish