E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

paint finish

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by E60M5E60' post='463058' date='Aug 27 2007, 12:59 PM
You're better off then spend your time try to buy a Cayman rather than complaining here. At least after that you'll be complaining in another forum. Thats a given. We've heard you loud and clear.

Greetings:

The only problem with that senario would be that I would have no one in agreement with me and I would have nothing to complain about since I don't own a Cayman ( A 2006 997S , I do own, excellent car by the way ), and it's a far superior vehicle THE CAYMAN WAS USED AS AN EXAMPLE OF A SIMILAR PRICE RANGE VEHICLE. On this as with many other E60 forums, the complaints are many, I do own an E60 , and there are people who agree with me in direct statement as well as in context with the many complaints. You wish to see me " leave " shows your lack of interest in discourse. Because you don't agree with me does not cause me to respond by asking you to leave. This is usually a reaction of being bothered by the truth. Like I said, BMW has a great ad campaign.. it's just that the quality of the E60 doesn't live up to the claims. And by the way, not likely.

Chow

Chromedome
Old 08-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

paint finish-rim00010.jpgpaint finish-rim00009.jpgOkay guys took some pics and only in a couple can you see the messed up paint the pitting and etching is there all over the car though it is hard to see because of the angles but you can see the issue will try some more in a different light.paint finish-rim00008.jpgpaint finish-rim00007.jpg[attachment=
7568:RIM00006.JPG]paint finish-rim00005.jpgpaint finish-rim00004.jpg
attachment=47571:RIM00003.JPG]paint finish-rim00002.jpgpaint finish-rim00001.jpg
Attached Thumbnails paint finish-rim00006.jpg   paint finish-rim00003.jpg  
Old 08-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by buddy' post='463508' date='Aug 28 2007, 04:49 PM
Attachment 36899Attachment 36900Okay guys took some pics and only in a couple can you see the messed up paint the pitting and etching is there all over the car though it is hard to see because of the angles but you can see the issue will try some more in a different light.Attachment 36901Attachment 36902[attachment=
7568:RIM00006.JPG]Attachment 36904Attachment 36905
attachment=47571:RIM00003.JPG]Attachment 36907Attachment 36908
Sirs:

I am not a paint expert, however if I had pitting in my paint finish I would wonder if the car was sprayed when some contaminant was present. ie lint. I take pristine care of my cars and I understand , you do also. I would get an opinion from a paint/body shop expert , even if I had to sehel out some bucks. BMW is not likely to go into this easily. What is the condition of the clear coat?? Good luck buddy

Chromedome
Old 08-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an

I know it is very hard to see but its there all ova the car on all horizontal surfaces. That is the clear that has the pitting I do not get any black paint on a white cloth or applicator sponge when I was and remove the wax. I unfortuantley has to get the hood resprayed because a piece of the over pass happen to make contact with it and left a dent and a long gouge in the hood 1000 dollars worth so that section will be good although not the orignal. So I will have an awful looking roof and trunk. I wonder if I can get the clear levaled down the paint thru wet sanding and then clear reapplied?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

Okay guys I posted pics now give me some insight. Anyone else have this problem even on a minor level? Should the paint or clear coat I should say have pitted and spotted like that? Help as I will be writing to BMW NA soon and need more ammo if I can have some.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:55 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by buddy' post='463889' date='Aug 29 2007, 10:32 PM
Okay guys I posted pics now give me some insight. Anyone else have this problem even on a minor level? Should the paint or clear coat I should say have pitted and spotted like that? Help as I will be writing to BMW NA soon and need more ammo if I can have some.
I happened to get same kind of spots this summer when I washed the car with a car shampoo (didn?t remove the wax) and let the surface dry out by itself. So I didn?t wipe out the water as I usually do. It was a very hot day and water drops vaporized from the surface during the day. This caused the spots. But they were only in a wax. I couldn?t remove them with another wash completely. I needed a conscientious wash with a dissolvent to remove them.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:30 PM
Members

My Ride: E53 E60 E92

Originally Posted by buddy' post='463889' date='Aug 29 2007, 02:32 PM
This is your best recourse, to see if others have similar problem.

Did the dealer damage your car?
My SA at the dealership always have a walk-around inspection prior to service and I walk around after the service is done to make sure no scratches, oil on leather seats etc.
Just a simple easy to do practice if you have to leave a car for service.

From the pictures though it looks deeper than water mark. Hope you and BMW can find the happy medium.

Good luck.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Members

Just saw your pictures. It's really hard to see anything but I think I can see on some of them what you mean.

The one where you point with your finger looks like and etched drop, right? I (not an expert) would say that this is environmental because it looks like that. I know you told be it isn't but it looks like that. Most other people will presumably say the same.

About these pits, I saw them ones before on a car that drove behind a sand truck for some time. Even the front window had very little pits (a bit like sanded). Where are these pits localed? If it is strongest on the hood and less on the trunk I would thinks about something like a sand truck ... If it's all over the car evenly spread, you make a chance that it would be declared as an error in the paint but then I think you would find something from other drivers on the net.

In both cases I would ask an independent expert, specialized in car paint. Let him/her make an official declaration about the reason. In case they point to BMW you make a chance they repaint your car.

Hope this helps a bit. Believe me, they wont do it without some kicking. If you don't have hard facts, they deny everything. You need some guys like NCIS/CSI.

Keep your head up.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by HPIA4v2' post='463908' date='Aug 29 2007, 02:30 PM
This is your best recourse, to see if others have similar problem.

Did the dealer damage your car?
My SA at the dealership always have a walk-around inspection prior to service and I walk around after the service is done to make sure no scratches, oil on leather seats etc.
Just a simple easy to do practice if you have to leave a car for service.

From the pictures though it looks deeper than water mark. Hope you and BMW can find the happy medium.

Good luck.
No unfortunately the dealer did not do this they have put a couple of scratches on the side of the car but very hard to see and once cleaned and wax they dont even show up. And again the dealer wants to help but they are also at the mercy of the field rep or at least that is what I am told.

The one where you point with your finger looks like and etched drop, right? I (not an expert) would say that this is environmental because it looks like that. I know you told be it isn't but it looks like that. Most other people will presumably say the same.

About these pits, I saw them ones before on a car that drove behind a sand truck for some time. Even the front window had very little pits (a bit like sanded). Where are these pits localed? If it is strongest on the hood and less on the trunk I would thinks about something like a sand truck ... If it's all over the car evenly spread, you make a chance that it would be declared as an error in the paint but then I think you would find something from other drivers on the net.

Yeah that one is an etch on the trunk around the little lip where water seems to collect and not run off but they are all over it, and as for the pits not sand blasted from a truck or graveled as it is more on the trunk and roof than the hood. And since I brought one of the first production cars sept 03 purchase I am wondering did they change the base coat clear coat later because of this problem I will however check with a paint shop soon as I was rear ended and have some minor bumper damage and scratches that need to be fixed. Again I have 4 cars and none have this problem even my e34 1990 bmw that is black. Hell my nissan Quest is a smoke color and never gets washed and it has no problems with paint at all and I brought that right after I brought the bimmer. Again thanks and if anyone else with a black one has this problem please post pics
Old 08-29-2007, 02:06 PM
Members

I had similar spotting on my car after parking it under an oak tree when it was raining and then having the car dry in the sun. Apparently there's something acidic about oak and it etched the paint.

I had a detailer wet sand the surface and the etching went away. As I understand it, this can happen with bird droppings and other acidic stuff that ends up on your car also.

Quick Reply: paint finish