E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

OT - drove two hot cars...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:18 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

I know this is a bit OT, but since we?re all German car enthusiasts (BMW?s and MB?s), I wanted to share a bit with my online pals.

I drove two HOT HOT HOT cars this week. My pal just leased a new MB E63 AMG, which I drove last Friday, and then yesterday, my BMW dealer called me to tell me the new M3 had arrived and they wondered if I wanted to give it a short test drive. After driving both cars, I?m still quite amazed. A short note about each follows.

Mercedes E63 AMG

First of all, the E63. Like most of you, I?ve always been a BMW guy, but I have to say, MB sure does do it right. The car was amazingly well equipped (which it should be for $107k). The suede alcantrana headliner, the rich leater in the car, the panorama sunroof in the rear ? all made the car feel UBER luxurious, in addition to being a monster performer. I was really enamored with the inside of the car ? and after going back to my little ole? 550i, it felt kind of bare inside. I?d give huge kudos to the Benz for comfort.

And?.as nice as the E63 was on the inside, on the road, it?s the most amazing car I might have ever driven, and I?ve been behind the wheel of a Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and a couple of Ferrarri?s before. The MB was that impressive?and it?s a four door sedan! The car growls like a monster ? a low, throaty rumble that makes sure you realize it has 507 HP under the hood. The quad exhaust looks so amazing, as do the monster calipers. The ground effects are wicked awesome, and truly, the car looks better in person than the M5, in my humble opinion.

I was a little leery driving his new car, but with a little encouragement, I pushed it ? and let me tell you ? it will snap your head back, and we were trying to keep it within 4k RPMs due to the break in. I was amazed and astounded. He called me last night to tell me that he was doing 155 at only 3500 rpms over the weekend. I'm sure Vegastrashed knows all too well what I'm saying...

The BMW M3

I have been Johnny hot pants about this new M3 ever since I read about it in the car magazines. Honestly, I saw both the sedan and the coupe yesterday ? both nice looking, but after coming from a 7 series, and now a 5 series, they felt really small.

But, behind the wheel, they?re lightening fast too. Very high revving engines, with huge low end torque. The handling might have been as tight as on any car I can remember. The ride was fast, but a little but rough and herky jerky (might have been my learning curve on the clutch, although I drive a 550 manual now?). Anyhow, I thought it was a definitely a fun little car that would be amazing on a track, but I wasn?t as impressed as I had hoped.

The conclusion?

While I?m still a BMW guy, I am really thinking that I?ll look hard for a pre-owned E63 when my lease runs on my 550i. I still cant get over how luxurious it felt inside. And honestly, I?ve been very anti-automatic transmission in sports sedans for a long time, but I tell you, MB nailed it with that car. You really have to see one, and ride in one, to experience it. With all that you read about the M5 transmission debate between the SMG and 6 speed, I think MB might have it beaten with an automatic.

Just my two cents...I'm not looking to start a jihad between BMW and MB...
Old 03-18-2008, 08:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Very nice but the MB is almost twice the money of the M3. A better comparison would have been with the M5. I read an article in Car and Driver (or Motor Trend, I don't remember) comparing the C63 to the M3 and the BMW killed it.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

I wasnt suggesting the two are comparable head to head.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

nice experience. thanks for sharing.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Carbon Black, Black Dakota, Black Diamond Trim, 6sp Sport Automatic with Paddles, M-Sport Package, Premium Package

That E63 is one hot car. Thanks for the review.