E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Orion v4's Angel Eyes won't shut off! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Orion's installed and I guess the seal wasnt perfect, but even then it didn't seem like a big deal to me since it wasn't much water and it was like that for awhile..... but I also notice whenever I go turn on my car after a day, it warns me high power drain, but i have no idea where that's coming from. All my lights are off when i lock my car and i even unplug whatever might be connected to the cigarette lighter since that alway stays on now. What are my options from here on to getting this issue fix? I tried unplugging my battery for 10 mins but that didn't solve the problem.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried unplugging Orions and see if that helps with the high power drain? This will least confirm if they are the issue or not, which I highly doubt is the problem.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Members

Yes, I have unplugged the Orions to confirm that wasn't it I keep my Orions unplugged now since they never shut off
Old 01-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Members

Here's the status on the car, since the AE's were wired to the cigarette lighter to be DRLs, I removed the cigarette lighter fuse and replugged the AE's. The AE's DO turn off when I lock the car now and it works normally except they are not DRL's. On top of not having the cigarette lighter worker, everytime I park overnight, when I start the car next morning, something is still draining the battery. What are my options from here on to fixing the battery drainage and finally fixing the cigarette lighter so it is not always turned on? Thanks everybody.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

As others have suggested, check for water damage to the Micro Power Module, located at the bottom of the spare tire well, sandwiched between the foam inserts. Water is prone to leak there, and if the MPM is wet/damaged, you will get high battery drain warnings, electrical gremlins, etc as the car won't be able to shut down power to the systems as designed.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:56 AM
Members

Shit! There is like a puddle of water underneath the spare trunk! How'd the water get in there? Either my carpet drys super fast or the rain water is getting in somehow. Could the rain really get into the spare tire area if I leave the sunroof tilted? This is crazy! Thanks again everyone for your advice. Who knows how much it would've cost me if I brought it to the stealership to have them diagnose and try to find out where the electrical problem was coming from.

The wires are kinda wet and so is the box. Is it a simple pull n plug for me to change the little white box out or would I need to reprogram and have the dealer do it for me? Anyone know how much this might cost? Thanks again, I sure hope switching the box would fix everything.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by LKwok
Shit! There is like a puddle of water underneath the spare trunk! How'd the water get in there? Either my carpet drys super fast or the rain water is getting in somehow. Could the rain really get into the spare tire area if I leave the sunroof tilted? This is crazy! Thanks again everyone for your advice. Who knows how much it would've cost me if I brought it to the stealership to have them diagnose and try to find out where the electrical problem was coming from.

The wires are kinda wet and so is the box. Is it a simple pull n plug for me to change the little white box out or would I need to reprogram and have the dealer do it for me? Anyone know how much this might cost? Thanks again, I sure hope switching the box would fix everything.
Been here before a few years ago when I took a trip to San Francisco. The dealer there topped off my fluids and was kind enough to let me have the gallon of coolant. Unfortunately they didn't tighten th cap. Long story short, coolant leaked out over time. I started getting power drain warnings and took it to Center BMW near home. They quoted me a discounted $1100 to change the modules (PDC and MPM) and the wiring loom, as there was corrosion on the terminals. I said no thanks, drove out of the service bay, parked, and walked over to parts. Paid $160 I think for the MPM then drove home. Unplugged the battery, removed the PDC and MPM. I opened up the PDC, removed excess moisture, and allowed the unit to dry in the sun. The old MPM was fried so I couldn't salvage it. I used a wire brush to remove the visible corrosion, cleaned the moisture from the well, and hooked the PDC and MPM. Back to normal. 4 years later, still OK.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:53 AM
Contributors

OK I found the old thread about it - almost 5 years ago now. I was one of the first on this site to experience the wonders of BMW design decision.

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...ck-shop-52336/
Old 01-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Members

Yes! Thank you all so much again, I had the new MPM replaced and everything is back to normal I also relocated the MPM as suggested to reduce the chance of it happening again. Do you guys suggest unplugging the 4 drain holes or would this allow more water to go in? I think my bottle of coolant leaked which was what damaged the MPM and not actually the rain.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:28 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

As others have done it, relocating those electrical modules to both sides and tucking behind the trim should solve the issue and you don't need to worry about unplugging those drain holes.