E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 545i Back in The Shop...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Sigh....I truly have a love/hate relationship with my 545. She's fun, beautiful, exciting, swift, sexy, and stylish. But, she's also demanding, pricy, moody, picky, and stubborn at times. Her antics today have resulted in a shop visit for the following:

High Battery Drain Warning
Dead battery requiring jump
Inoperable key (thanks to dead battery)
Increased Emissions warning
Left Back-up Lamp Malfunction
Slight rattle on start-up
Rattle from sunroof when opened

The top 3 are related - tired battery. The others....sigh. I'm gonna trade her ass in for a Honda. ( yea, right - as soon as they make an Accord with ARS, Active Steering, 325+ HP, hellatious road hugging, a V-8, and a Roundel )
Old 03-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Silver/Grey E60
Cool

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='548752' date='Mar 21 2008, 01:46 PM
Sigh....I truly have a love/hate relationship with my 545. She's fun, beautiful, exciting, swift, sexy, and stylish. But, she's also demanding, pricy, moody, picky, and stubborn at times. Her antics today have resulted in a shop visit for the following:

High Battery Drain Warning
Dead battery requiring jump
Inoperable key (thanks to dead battery)
Increased Emissions warning
Left Back-up Lamp Malfunction
Slight rattle on start-up
Rattle from sunroof when opened

The top 3 are related - tired battery. The others....sigh. I'm gonna trade her ass in for a Honda. ( yea, right - as soon as they make an Accord with ARS, Active Steering, 325+ HP, hellatious road hugging, a V-8, and a Roundel )

It's funny how you discribe your e60 as a moody. I often explain to my friends that my E60 is like a very hot girlfriend who has an attitude problem. I would never want to get rid of her beacuse I know shes the best I can do... but she does act up very often!
Old 03-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by e60insd' post='548754' date='Mar 21 2008, 01:50 PM
It's funny how you discribe your e60 as a moody. I often explain to my friends that my E60 is like a very hot girlfriend who has an attitude problem. I would never want to get rid of her beacuse I know shes the best I can do... but she does act up very often!

LMAO - she's definately a high maintenance heifer! Here's the latest from my SA:

"Looks like some type of soapy fluid spilled in the trunk and damaged the modules" - There was NO soapy fluids carried in my trunk! Unless driving through a car wash introduced moisture (and then, from where)...BMW really dropped the ball by putting critical electronics in the damned wheel well of a trunk where mystery moisture gets in to damage them. This is the kind of mess that makes me rethink upgrading to another BMW. It's Friday, was going to drive to Vegas, and now they are gonna try to get me to RENT a BS car because my $63K (well now $35K) car is going away for yet another few day stint. :thumbsdown:
Old 03-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Contributors

Here's the latest:

The fluid was from a leaking bottle of anti-freeze given to me and put in the trunk by BMW of SF during my stint up north a couple of months ago. The folk at Center BMW in Sherman Oaks quoted me $1100+ to replace the power module, PDC module, and the wire loom as it was 'corroded'. They told me to call BMWUSA, as they can't authorize a warranty repair because the parts were damaged by the coolant. BMWUSA says that, irrespective of how the fluid got there (a BMW employee who, though kind, ultimately cost me cash), they aren't willing to repair the car under warranty. Apparently, early E60 owners need to magically know that, under their spare tire well, lies the micro power and PDC computers. And, even though it's a dumb-assed place to put sensitive electronics (considering that the spare tire well is subjected to the elements, especially during a rain storm), they aren't willing to back their BS and offer a reasonable and fair way out. So, here's how it ended:

I walked over to the parts counter and forked over $152 for my micro power unit. Drove the car home, removed my crap out of the trunk, removed the bad units, cleaned the contacts, put the new unit in, dried the PDC unit, and...voila - all is well. I used my trusty $150 ODBC II code reader, reset the Increased Emissions check engine code and.....ALL SYSTEMS OK. I'll post pics of the install after I return from VEGAS. One thing though - I cannot in good faith recommend this car to anyone not mechanically inclined and not loaded with dough. $1100+ bucks to replace a $150 part that's actually faulty is pure BULLSH*T. BMWUSA - Are you listening??? I just talked my uncle into an M45. I'll be doing the same to others as they arise. OK - Venting is over....
Old 03-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

M45? You sure do get a lot for the money. Bump up the HP and we could be in business.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

I have an 05 545i and have had no significant problems. Given that I have not seen a single report of corroded electronics as you have described in the 3 years I've been reading this forum, I wouldn't describe it as a design flaw, more like a very rare fluke.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

BMW "moved the game on" as they say with the E60. It is an incredibly complicated car. For that reason I stayed clear of the 04 model year and have an 05. I feel bad for anybody that has multiple issue. These cars are expensive!!!!! However my car is a CPO. It has 30k miles so I am covered for another 70k.

This is no different than the problems people had with 02 7's. Those cars were a nightmare.

I don't receomned any Euro car that doesn't have a factory warranty. You think BMW's have issues, buy an out of warranty Merc and you will know true financial pain...
Old 03-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='548916' date='Mar 21 2008, 10:28 PM
Here's the latest:

The fluid was from a leaking bottle of anti-freeze given to me and put in the trunk by BMW of SF during my stint up north a couple of months ago. The folk at Center BMW in Sherman Oaks quoted me $1100+ to replace the power module, PDC module, and the wire loom as it was 'corroded'. They told me to call BMWUSA, as they can't authorize a warranty repair because the parts were damaged by the coolant. BMWUSA says that, irrespective of how the fluid got there (a BMW employee who, though kind, ultimately cost me cash), they aren't willing to repair the car under warranty. Apparently, early E60 owners need to magically know that, under their spare tire well, lies the micro power and PDC computers. And, even though it's a dumb-assed place to put sensitive electronics (considering that the spare tire well is subjected to the elements, especially during a rain storm), they aren't willing to back their BS and offer a reasonable and fair way out. So, here's how it ended:

I walked over to the parts counter and forked over $152 for my micro power unit. Drove the car home, removed my crap out of the trunk, removed the bad units, cleaned the contacts, put the new unit in, dried the PDC unit, and...voila - all is well. I used my trusty $150 ODBC II code reader, reset the Increased Emissions check engine code and.....ALL SYSTEMS OK. I'll post pics of the install after I return from VEGAS. One thing though - I cannot in good faith recommend this car to anyone not mechanically inclined and not loaded with dough. $1100+ bucks to replace a $150 part that's actually faulty is pure BULLSH*T. BMWUSA - Are you listening??? I just talked my uncle into an M45. I'll be doing the same to others as they arise. OK - Venting is over....

A little off topic, but how was your experience at center bmw? who was your SA? In vegas for march madness weekend nice...I'm trying to talk my wife into an M45 also. Hope everything with your "moody" e60 gets resolved once parts are installed....
Old 03-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='548922' date='Mar 21 2008, 10:50 PM
I have an 05 545i and have had no significant problems. Given that I have not seen a single report of corroded electronics as you have described in the 3 years I've been reading this forum, I wouldn't describe it as a design flaw, more like a very rare fluke.

Ah my friend, do a quick search above on PDC or micro power and read away. Do a search web-wide and be even more amazed. The 2 modules reside in a foam tray at the bottom of the spare tire well. There is no drainage there - any liquids spilled in the trunk will collect there. In every other car I ever owned, the spare tire well is reserved for...the spare tire. Someone had a wild hair and decided to put electronics down there. At the bottom. In wetter climates, over time enough moisture can collect there to damage the units if drying the well with a towel isn't a part of the maintenance routine. I'll move them to a more appropriate location next to the telemetrics unit when I return from Vegas. Pics will follow.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by geneatals' post='549113' date='Mar 22 2008, 11:00 AM
A little off topic, but how was your experience at center bmw? who was your SA? In vegas for march madness weekend nice...I'm trying to talk my wife into an M45 also. Hope everything with your "moody" e60 gets resolved once parts are installed....

Center has been good for my prior issues (thermostat failure, car reprogram to correct slam issue, passenger air bag sensor replacementetc). Shahe was my SA - he's very attentive and knowledgeable on E60's, a great SA to have. My biggest complaint is no warranty coverage for damage that was ultimately caused by a failed thermostat and an SA's placement of a leaking fluid in my trunk. And, an 1100 buck estimate @ 6 hours of labour to repair a 150 part that took me all of 60 minutes to clean, replace, and test. Im willing and able to do DIY repairs. My concern is for those who are not.

Quick Reply: 2004 545i Back in The Shop...