E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ordering new 535d Sport Saloon (UK)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007 | 11:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by RussellFray' post='453719' date='Jul 31 2007, 09:37 PM
I can feel myself getting closer, I'm going to do it... ! Regarding the issue with an internet firm, all they do is introduce you to the dealer - as soon as the introduction is made, you talk directly with the dealer, and can drive over and see them if you want - the cars come from a main UK dealer just as if you had ordered it directly. The only slight issue is that the dealer might be far away. When I got my Audi, the dealer was based in Dundee (I'm in Manchester) so I never went there in person. But as soon as you get the car you can get any warranty work, servicing, etc etc done from your local dealer anyway. You never pay any money to drivethedeal, you pay a ?500 deposit to the dealer and then don't pay them the balance until after the car is delivered to your doorstep
Understand that, I was looking to go this route myself with motorlogix before I placed my order and that was the same with the introduction to the uk dealer. But I think my point still stands that with the margins so heavily diminished for the dealer (they are basically doing nothing but processing your order for their money) they are not going to have a lot of time and effort to spare for customer service and any post sales problems could be a hassle. That said, there shouldn't really be a need for it and as you say the warranty applies across the whole BMW network which is why these things are so attractive. I'd consider this route again next time, but then again at the time I struck my deal my local dealer was within ?750 of the motorlogix price which was a no brainer for me. Now if it was ?3k different, that might be a different matter!!!

Congratulations on your new purchase, enjoy, seems the forum is going 535d crazy just lately!
Old 08-01-2007 | 01:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

Originally Posted by irmclarke' post='453718' date='Jul 31 2007, 09:30 PM
Russell you complete bugger ! looks like you are going to beat me to it as if I'm anything like my normal self i'll umm and ahhh for ages before actually doing anything!

Looks like a great spec. I've struggled with the colour myself, I want Carbon black as I think it looks great but I just know it will show the scratches / dirt etc. and I'll end up wishing I had'nt bothered. Sliver is a bit too light for me so it will have to be Space or Platinum grey I think.

No 19" wheel upgrade??

Ian.
Personally, I have ordered jet black but a big part of me envies those Alpine white cars. The white looks particularly good on the M models...(which mine isn't anyway).

Martin
Old 08-01-2007 | 02:03 AM
Contributors

I do love black cars, especially when clean and shiny. A clean black car looks way better than a clean silver car. But a dirty black car looks much worse than a dirty silver car. And, my cars are dirty 99.9% of the time

My wife's new E70 X5 is Sapphire black and looks great. That's another reason I chose silver ... having two BMWs on the driveway is a little sad. Having two the same colour is very sad !!
Old 08-01-2007 | 02:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bardel' post='453885' date='Aug 1 2007, 01:55 AM
Congratulations on your new purchase, enjoy, seems the forum is going 535d crazy just lately!
Indeed ... this forum might be free to use, but it's costing me an absolute fortune!!
Old 08-01-2007 | 02:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by RussellFray' post='453904' date='Aug 1 2007, 11:04 AM
Indeed ... this forum might be free to use, but it's costing me an absolute fortune!!
Hehe - BMW should sponsor this place...
Old 08-01-2007 | 06:04 AM
Members

Get the 19" wheels, then you won't have runflats, and they look really good.
Old 08-01-2007 | 07:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by russell hayward' post='453942' date='Aug 1 2007, 08:04 AM
Get the 19" wheels, then you won't have runflats, and they look really good.
I did consider those, but I'm already stretching the budget quite a bit more than I wanted to! I also thought that out of all the options, a wheel change would be quite easy to do in the future if I wanted to. I was contemplating ditching the HUD and getting 19"s, but realised me personally would get more out of the HUD than the slight bigger wheels. I only have 17" at the mo on my E60 so the jump to 18" will be nice as it. And, personally, I _love_ runflats. A few weeks ago I was driving at 90mph, sorry I meant 70mph (officer), on a long motorway trip. The "flat tyre warning" message pinged on to the idrive. The car felt no different, but it kept beeping at me so I slowed down to 50mph and stayed in the first lane. I was only 15 miles away from my destination so carried on going and headed to the place I was having a meeting at. After the meeting, I found the local BMW dealer, satnavved my way over to have it checked out, to be told I had "several large screws in BOTH rear tyres". Obviously a lorry had shed its load on the motorway or something. I dread to think what the outcome would have been of two rear blowouts at that speed, and it's convinced me that runflats are a very good thing. Sure, the ride might be a little harder, but the trade off for safety and convenience is great. I mean, not only did I not die, but I also got to my meeting on time!
Old 08-01-2007 | 07:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by RussellFray' post='453963' date='Aug 1 2007, 04:05 PM
I did consider those, but I'm already stretching the budget quite a bit more than I wanted to! I also thought that out of all the options, a wheel change would be quite easy to do in the future if I wanted to. I was contemplating ditching the HUD and getting 19"s, but realised me personally would get more out of the HUD than the slight bigger wheels. I only have 17" at the mo on my E60 so the jump to 18" will be nice as it. And, personally, I _love_ runflats. A few weeks ago I was driving at 90mph, sorry I meant 70mph (officer), on a long motorway trip. The "flat tyre warning" message pinged on to the idrive. The car felt no different, but it kept beeping at me so I slowed down to 50mph and stayed in the first lane. I was only 15 miles away from my destination so carried on going and headed to the place I was having a meeting at. After the meeting, I found the local BMW dealer, satnavved my way over to have it checked out, to be told I had "several large screws in BOTH rear tyres". Obviously a lorry had shed its load on the motorway or something. I dread to think what the outcome would have been of two rear blowouts at that speed, and it's convinced me that runflats are a very good thing. Sure, the ride might be a little harder, but the trade off for safety and convenience is great. I mean, not only did I not die, but I also got to my meeting on time!
Very interesting experience. Convincing enough to tip me towards runflats.
Old 08-04-2007 | 10:44 AM
Members

I think this site should come with a wealth warning in that it can seiously damage your wealth. But hey, what a way to spend it. So far a Saphire Black 525 D SE and currently a 530D M sport
Old 08-13-2007 | 08:43 AM
Contributors

Quick update - spoke to the BMW dealer today, who said everything is ordered and the car has a factory build ETA of week 38 (early/mid September) with a delivery ETA of week 42 (early/mid October).

I need to remember to tell them to add the "Tracker" option, and also the phone bracket for my mobile. Any other "dealer fit / accessories" you think I should go for? What about the protective covering they can put on the exterior and interior, is it worth getting for a silver car with black leather in the UK?

Quick Reply: Ordering new 535d Sport Saloon (UK)