E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions On Interior Inlays, Alum,Anthra/Poplar

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 02:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Opinion from an Architect

As I recall you are thinking about black on black. If you go with the black interior, the dark poplar with the black leather and dash is very beautiful. It looks rich and elegant. In my opinion the black anthracite with the black interior is too monochromatic. Boring. I have the dark poplar with a black interior and it is beautiful.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:10 AM
Contributors

Didn't like the dark poplar on black at first, but now I think it looks quite nice. Would still prefer to have a lighter poplar, aluminum or some type of carbon fiber though.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Nov 9 2004, 04:20 AM

As I recall you are thinking about black on black.? If you go with the black interior, the dark poplar with the black leather and dash is very beautiful.? It looks rich and elegant.? In my opinion the black anthracite with the black interior is too monochromatic.? Boring.? I have the dark poplar with a black interior and it is beautiful.
[snapback]54087[/snapback]

I have a blk/blk/poplar and love it. Thought of going anthracite, but a few days with the poplar changed my mind (was going to have to swap it out). pharding and I share the same opinion, the poplar adds elegance to the black interior. I'm fairly young, 33, so I was concerned it might look a little stuffy, not the case at all. With the minimalist interior, I think the monochromatic effect with the black is a little spartan.

Dude, so when are you going to buy this car?!?!?!?!?! Good luck
Old 11-09-2004, 06:13 AM
Senior Members

I like the anthacite and wanted it to go with my light grey interior. The car I have has poplar because I only waited only a week for one with the other options I wanted. Poplar is nice but I want to add the wood gear shift knob, e-brake, rear and front extra wood pieces to fill out the interior and get rid of the aluminum.

For the light grey interior I would like either the antracite or the aluminum.

For a black interior I would go with something other than anthracite.

Good luck. Post some pics of your car when she comes in!
Old 11-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Senior Members

Get aluminum and put 3m sitck carbon fiber over it HAHA
Old 11-09-2004, 08:28 PM
Contributors

black on black with poplar looks so much better in person. dont based your decision from photo, it is biased since the flash from camera makes the wood brighter thus uncontrast with the black leather.

see in person and you will se the rich feeling.

anthracite also good, but for my opinion it is too dark and monotone.

happy optioning... gut luck.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Nov 9 2004, 12:20 PM

As I recall you are thinking about black on black.? If you go with the black interior, the dark poplar with the black leather and dash is very beautiful.? It looks rich and elegant.? In my opinion the black anthracite with the black interior is too monochromatic.? Boring.? I have the dark poplar with a black interior and it is beautiful.
[snapback]54087[/snapback]

I can second that!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

I like the dark poplar also - I think with a black interior it gives a sense of warmth and brings the cabin a little more "upscale" feeling. The other choices feel "younger" to me and as pharding said, a little too monochromatic....not to say younger is bad (especially since I consider myself young) just different....
Old 11-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

I agree, the dark poplar looks great in the Black interior. I was kind of thinking aluminum but my wife really liked the wood so we went with that. Now I am glad to have it as I think it is much more refined looking.

I think I was hung up on the wood because my parents had a car in the 70s with plastic imitation wood which I hated.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:30 PM
Contributors

Everyone has an opinion.

I had the redwood in my black on black E39 540. I went with the anthracite with the new black on black 545. I was tired of the natural wood and thought it looked a little dated.

I like the anthracite - I would like a little more grain to it, but I think it's clean and more modern looking. The black wood softens the car and is in keeping with sport luxury.

To me, natural colored wood - light, dark whatever - looks more luxury and less sport, and should properly be accompanied by a wood/leather steering wheel.