E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open the car with the small key without triggering the alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

Well, the title says it all. Is it possible? When I use the small plastic key to open the driver's door, the car unlocks normally. So far so good. But when I subsequently open the door using the handle, the alarm sounds. It only stops after I have inserted the small key into the adapter and the adapter into the steering column to start the car.

I want to be able to leave the normal keys with someone else and I hope to use the plastic key next time I drive the car at 6 am. However, I live in a very residential area and everybody will wake up/check what's going on when a car alarm sounds...
Old 04-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Contributors

sounds like infidelity...
Old 04-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Late 2005 M5 in Silverstone Metallic II with Full Black Leather Interior. SMG, LOGIC7, Heated Front Seats, Rear Electric Sun Blind, Comms Package, Professional Nav, TV Function, Extended Voice Control, Adaptive Headlights

Originally Posted by boukehj' post='856577' date='Apr 23 2009, 06:47 PM
Well, the title says it all. Is it possible? When I use the small plastic key to open the driver's door, the car unlocks normally. So far so good. But when I subsequently open the door using the handle, the alarm sounds. It only stops after I have inserted the small key into the adapter and the adapter into the steering column to start the car.

I want to be able to leave the normal keys with someone else and I hope to use the plastic key next time I drive the car at 6 am. However, I live in a very residential area and everybody will wake up/check what's going on when a car alarm sounds...

As far as i'm aware bud, the only way you'll be able to do this without the alarm sounding is by locking the car using the key, and not alarming it. I don't think there is any way of getting into the car without the alarm sounding no matter what key you use. And the only 2 ways of turning the alarm off is by doing it using the alarm button, OR, but putting the key/module into the ignition and the car will recognise the code and the alarm will be turned off. Hope this helps. Hope i'm right too!!
Old 04-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

Originally Posted by Jon M5' post='856584' date='Apr 23 2009, 06:53 PM
As far as i'm aware bud, the only way you'll be able to do this without the alarm sounding is by locking the car using the key, and not alarming it. I don't think there is any way of getting into the car without the alarm sounding no matter what key you use. And the only 2 ways of turning the alarm off is by doing it using the alarm button, OR, but putting the key/module into the ignition and the car will recognise the code and the alarm will be turned off. Hope this helps. Hope i'm right too!!
I definitely want to have the car armed. But are you saying that hitting the alarm button also works? That is a lot quicker than getting the adapter etc. and makes it almost acceptable - the alarm wouldn't sound for too long a period.
BTW, I assume that you mean the button for the alarm lights? I'll try it tomorrow.

Anyhow, I do find it strange that the alarm needs to go off when the car is opened with the plastic key - after all, it has a chip inside and is an official key. Hmm.