E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

is it ok to use K&N Engine filter ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 12:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, five pages of petty bickering about an air filter. Yeah, pretty much boring.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:02 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

Originally Posted by JWMich
Dude, five pages of petty bickering about an air filter. Yeah, pretty much boring.
It's got you hooked; doesn't it?

Then provide something substative or hang up.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by paran
It's got you hooked; doesn't it?

Then provide something substative or hang up.
You probably want to tuck that back into your pants. It's not particularly impressive.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
Pjinca, most, if not all of the so-called engineers' errors were actually the accountants' fault! They didn't authorize the engineers' choices.

We aren't saying that there is evidence of engine harm due to K&N filters, but that there is NO benefit in using them, but the theoretical possibility of damage, especially if one is not changing one's oil frequently.

And please, let's not get into the 'mine is bigger than yours, therefore I am right' nonsense.

Respectfully, Bob P.
And I, up until Gatriel, respectfully disagreed is all. I questioned the science and the study. That is all, it has been well known in racing for years, that more air/fuel = more power. I admitted the K&N filter by itself provided negligible benefits, but like anything else, when combined with other mods the gains are more than with an OEM filter. The "theoretical" damage the miniscule amount of extra dirt allowed in is where I have to challenge the science. Considering I have used and seen the K&N filter used by many, many people with no damage done allows me to trust my eyes. If my comments directed at the asinine Gatreil offended you, they shouldn't have, I made clear to whom it was directed.

Originally Posted by paran
I presented a scientific study performed in a controlled environment that proves that K&N allows in more dirt than any other OEM (and most after-market) filters. That's a fact. Why do I want to do that? And for this my mental capabilties are called into question?
Paran, I (for one) did not question your intelligence, I questioned the science of the study presented and for evidence of cars damaged directly attributed to the K&N (or similar quality/type of air filter). Nor do I agree that the N62 is a flawless piece of engineering - ask anyone that has had a totally stock 545/550 when at about 100k miles the carbon build up completely clogs the exhaust ports leading to the head needing to be removed and the carbon removed with what amounts to a Dremel. The engine is magnificent, but it is not without flaws. That said, I look forward to many many years with mine.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:25 PM
New Members

My Ride: 05 545i & 01 316i

haha, I'm going to have fun with you.

Originally Posted by pjinca
Funny Gatriel, I resorted to zero personal attacks
If you really think BMW did ANY testing or engineering on the air filters they put in their cars you are delusional.
As is typical of those with small brains and probably even smaller genitalia, you have to name call and pout around like a spoiled child.
----

I just presented examples of longevity using K&N filters.
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The expression anecdotal evidence refers to evidence from anecdotes. Because of the small sample, there is a larger chance that it may be unreliable due to cherry-picked or otherwise non-representative samples of typical cases.[1][2] Anecdotal evidence is considered dubious support of a claim; it is accepted only in lieu of more solid evidence.
I inserted the above, as I'm quite confident you are unaware of what "anecdotal" means.

My in-laws have a 2000 Honda Accord, it has 275k miles on it, it has had a K&N since 2000, not a single issue other than regular maintenance. I know of several other identical stories.
As I said, I have used K&N for over 10 years in a variety of cars, none of which had an single engine problem.
As opposed to;

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...2/#post1489622

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...3/#post1489719

----

You (and others) are the one that seems to have no evidence of even a single case where engine damage can be attributed to the use of a K&N filter.
No, but you don't have any studies that show it doesn't damage your engine, save for your anecdotal evidence as I illustrated above. (See, I can play this stupid little game of yours as well) There is review after review as well as the studies that Paran posted that say "yeup it lets in more air, but it lets in more dirt too." It is common knowledge that dirt inside your engine is a bad thing. No one has said or promulgated that a K&N is like pouring in the Atacama, all we have been asserting is that it surely isn't good for the motor, its n/a HP gains are non-existant and no one keeps these cars long enough to justify their price over OEM ergo, you are just like the people who purchase the $20 muffles on eBay for their $1,000 Sentras. Congratulations.

----

All I have seen is a study, probably sponsored by a paper element filter maker
First, unless you can back this up, its a garbage argument, and you are doing exactly what you are accusing us of -- that is pulling info out of your ass. But I digress, you cannot prove it, nor can you justify discrediting the source. Seems to me like you are pulling justifications out of thin air to justify your way of thinking. That's fine -- most uneducated people do so -- just man up to it. .

-----

showing alleged additional contaminants entering the engine.
Dude, you should have just quit here. "Alleged" is probably extending your vocabulary just a tad, but unless its designed to be in the engine i.e., fuel, air, exhaust, and the "grime" left over from the combustion process it is a "contaminant". But then again, this is all just a vast scheme of all the paper air filter manufacturers the world over to disprove K&N, even though they already supply the overwhelmingly majority of air filters the world over (via OEM contracts).

----

Originally Posted by someidiot
Let's look at BMW's engineers have erred in the recent past, shall we?
High Pressure Fuel Pumps in 535's
Useless Charcoal filter in US cars in the intake that only serves to restrict airflow
Faulty passenger air bag seat sensors
Faulty window regulators
Squealing brakes
Brake booster pump (V8 Engines)
Intake coolant pipe (V8 engines)
Plastic coolant expansion tanks that crack
Transmissions that slam when they shift
Need I go on?
Please. In fact, I want you to list in detail all the problems with the e60, with all the engine and transmission configurations backwards alphabetically in pig latin.

----

Want to explain to me how superior the BMW engineers are to the aftermarket?
Sure. BMW has to put a package together that not only meets a certain cost structure, but also has to last for a certain amount of time. Their goal isn't to get every single square ounce of horse power out of theirs cars, as that will very likely limit the longevity of their components, and thus the car. Ergo, they look for a happy medium of performance and longevity. This clearly means one can add onto the car and increase its output, and if properly maintained its longevity won't be affected. The problem is most Americans don't properly maintain their cars, and thus an unmaintained car that has been driven hard for 70k or so -- its practical life as a reliable DD is pretty much over. I expect some stupid retort of "herp derp I maintain my cars" which is fantastic for you. The sad thing is -- most people don't.

I am not talking about a difference of opinion, everyone is entitled to do as they please, I am talking about evidence.
Yeup, I am entitled to mine as you are entitled to yours, but as far as the evidence goes, I've yet to see any save some anecdotal evidence and a whole lot of whining.

As is typical of those with small brains and probably even smaller genitalia, you have to name call and pout around like a spoiled child when you are presented with a evidence contrary to your point of view.
So at this point, the ball is in your court hombre. Either cough up some evidence supporting your thesis (the K&N isn't an egregious waste of money for an N/A car such as yours) - or admit that ... how did you so eloquently put it ... that you have a small brain and even smaller genitalia.

EDIT -

Most of my derp wasn't even directed at you, I just called you out for backing up an argument with anecdotal evidence.

Last edited by Gatriel; 02-21-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Folks, the OP asked this simple question:

Hi all,

I wonder if I can used the K&N performance lifetime filter for my 2010 BMW 535i ? My car still under MFG warranty. Air filter and Cabin filter are under BMW No-cost maintenance service program or not
?

His inquiry was simply could he use it, as the air and cabin filters are under the BMW No-cost maintenance warranty program. Period. How this thread devolved into the merits of such is dubious - that was not his inquiry and only serves to muddy future searches.

So here we go: Is it OK to use it?

1) Yes - use will not void your car's warranty
2) There are downsides as debated above - increased particulates into the intake tract, yet not enough to adversely cause any proven or significant engine damage.
3) It requires maintenance, but said maintenance comes at intervals far exceeding those of paper filters.

So yes, you can use it without dealership inquiries or warranty problems. I have personally been using mine for 170k of my V8's 190k+ miles without issue. Yor mileage may vary. Good luck!
Old 02-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

wow. what a ridiculous debate that one should have no time to read. If you do, read something that benefits your mind.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Senior Members

WOW this took my whole lunch hour! lol. This reminds me of the Fog Light Thread.

Any who, I just ordered a K&N although seeing all the mixed reviews online. I think i shouldn't have a problem.