E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

is it ok to use K&N Engine filter ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 03:24 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

The previous owner of my car had a K&N air filter.

I think he took the 1 million mile "guarantee" way too far!

I tossed that thing into the garbage and went back to a Mahle filter.

I have 100% confidence in the testing labs at BMW. If K&N was best, they would offer that "oil based, air filter technology" in their cars. But they don't.

I have almost ZERO confidence in my ability to "clean" an air filter, re-oil it, and then use it again.

It will NOT be as good as new, and will most certainly not outperform a brand new Mahle or Hengst or Mann air filter.

Working off of my garage floor to clean my K&N ari filter seems like a recipe for disaster. Then I must "oil it". Huh? With what? How do I evenly apply the oil across the cotton fabric so that it out performs a Mahle or Hengst filter out of the box?
Old 02-04-2013, 03:32 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 535i, Sport, Nav, Platinum Gray, Blk interior

hmmm I've never thought that K&N filter have to be "re-oil" after the clean-up. If it does require, then the MFG should have some kind of instruction how to "re-oil" the filter.
Anyone have anyt idea? Since I just order the part today and I will not use it if so many step have to go thru.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by vk535i
hmmm I've never thought that K&N filter have to be "re-oil" after the clean-up. If it does require, then the MFG should have some kind of instruction how to "re-oil" the filter.
Anyone have anyt idea? Since I just order the part today and I will not use it if so many step have to go thru.
It's not that difficult to do. Once you wash the filter you lightly coat the filter with oil. Everything you need is in their kit, K&N Air Filter Cleaning & Oiling Accessories. I use an AFE cleaning kit from my Lexus to clean my k&n and bms dci's currently.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
It's not that difficult to do. Once you wash the filter you lightly coat the filter with oil. Everything you need is in their kit, K&N Air Filter Cleaning & Oiling Accessories. I use an AFE cleaning kit from my Lexus to clean my k&n and bms dci's currently.

Yup it's all in the kit. Cleaning solution and oil spray. You spray on the cleaning solution. Let it soak for a while, then rinse with cold water. Let it dry naturally (do NOT use artificial heat!). Once dry, spray the oil on the filter in an even coat. It's red so it will be easy to see the covered areas (and areas needing attention). After its coated you enjoy the ride. Been using mine for 170K miles, with cleaning/oiling every 25k or so. I also clean the MAF sensor with each oiling.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by paran
The previous owner of my car had a K&N air filter.

I think he took the 1 million mile "guarantee" way too far!

I tossed that thing into the garbage and went back to a Mahle filter.

I have 100% confidence in the testing labs at BMW. If K&N was best, they would offer that "oil based, air filter technology" in their cars. But they don't.

I have almost ZERO confidence in my ability to "clean" an air filter, re-oil it, and then use it again.

It will NOT be as good as new, and will most certainly not outperform a brand new Mahle or Hengst or Mann air filter.

Working off of my garage floor to clean my K&N ari filter seems like a recipe for disaster. Then I must "oil it". Huh? With what? How do I evenly apply the oil across the cotton fabric so that it out performs a Mahle or Hengst filter out of the box?
BMW, like most mainstream manufactures, have a cost/benefit ratio they operate with. They will use the best parts for their target profit points, not the best on the market. Reusable filters are detested by manufactures for several reasons. While they may offer a performance increase over paper, they do require precision in maintenance. Cleaning and oiling filters is just not cost effective for service departments. There is more profit in selling new paper filters and less work.

However, for the enthusiast who doesn't mind the work needed, the reward can be slightly increased horsepower and a filter that's always in stock...its on your car. But it must be done correctly and with care. Paper may be the best option if the level of care is of concern. As for dealer service, there was a bright K&N sticker put on the airbox to inform the service persons that a reusable filter was in place and not to be thrown away.

Last edited by advancedlogic; 02-04-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
I also clean the MAF sensor with each oiling.
Luckily he won't have to worry about a maf sensor since the n54 doesn't have one to get fouled up.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
Luckily he won't have to worry about a maf sensor since the n54 doesn't have one to get fouled up.
True, but he does have a TMAP sensor. Unfortunately, mine breathes without blow, and a MAF can be prone to fouling.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:34 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

The following is a professional test of Air Filters performed at a test lab.

SCOPE:

This report presents the results of an ISO 5011 test of several air filters designed for the GM Duramax Diesel. The test was independently performed under controlled conditions using a $285,000 machine at Testand Corp of Rhode Island (manufacturer of the machine).

Arlen Spicer, a GM Duramax Diesel owner/enthusiast organized the test. Testand offered to perform the tests at no charge. (These tests typically cost approx $1700.00 per filter). Ken (and employee of Testand), a Diesel enthusiast and owner of a Ford Power Stroke Diesel, shared Arlen’s interest in performing an accurate unbiased test of different types and brands of diesel engine air filters.

The filters used in the test were purchased retail and donated by Arlen and other individual Duramax Diesel owners. The detailed reports from the test have been compiled and are presented in the following pages. The final pages of this report present the behind the test.

Name:  kn3_zpsac79b820.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  112.8 KB

Name:  kn2_zpse3aeba93.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  77.4 KB

Name:  kn1_zps856cc3a4.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  89.1 KB

Name:  kampN_zpsc243fa1e.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  89.3 KB

Yes, K&N is less restrictive on air flow because it is more porous, and therefore, more dirt passes through the filter into the engine.

So you must be willing to trade-off more dirt for greater air flow. That's why I pitched my in the trash can.

Here's the link: K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)
Old 02-05-2013, 07:37 AM
New Members

Do I need to spray oil on the brand new K&N filter before install to the engine? or it already came pre-oil ?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by paran
The following is a professional test of Air Filters performed at a test lab.

SCOPE:

This report presents the results of an ISO 5011 test of several air filters designed for the GM Duramax Diesel. The test was independently performed under controlled conditions using a $285,000 machine at Testand Corp of Rhode Island (manufacturer of the machine).

Arlen Spicer, a GM Duramax Diesel owner/enthusiast organized the test. Testand offered to perform the tests at no charge. (These tests typically cost approx $1700.00 per filter). Ken (and employee of Testand), a Diesel enthusiast and owner of a Ford Power Stroke Diesel, shared Arlen’s interest in performing an accurate unbiased test of different types and brands of diesel engine air filters.

The filters used in the test were purchased retail and donated by Arlen and other individual Duramax Diesel owners. The detailed reports from the test have been compiled and are presented in the following pages. The final pages of this report present the behind the test.

Yes, K&N is less restrictive on air flow because it is more porous, and therefore, more dirt passes through the filter into the engine.

So you must be willing to trade-off more dirt for greater air flow. That's why I pitched my in the trash can.

Here's the link: K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)
The test said more air flow, the more dirt go to the engine. is it make the engine gets issue (problem) later on or not?

Last edited by vk535i; 02-05-2013 at 08:25 AM.

Quick Reply: is it ok to use K&N Engine filter ?