E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is is OK to use a different oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

I had a little discussion yesterday with the service manager about this very topic. I really wanted them to put Mobile 1 5W 30 in the 550i, but they insisted on the BMW stuff, which I am learning is the Castro stuff. In the end, if I wanted to pay for the Mobile 1, they would pour it in, but for free, I have to use the C stuff. I guess it is somewhat fitting that you put synthetic oils in a German car though, seeing the stuff was invented there in the 1940's....
Old 02-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='528712' date='Feb 7 2008, 11:01 PM
I use 5W-40 Olive Oil.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

In speaking with an SA he only advised on using 100% synthetic oil and NEVER to use regular oil. When I asked what happened when he say the regular oil was used his words were "Just imagine if an elephant blew his l__d in your engine, thats what would happen."

Old 02-09-2008, 04:25 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

The engines are designed and manufactured with specific clearance tolerances and the weight of the oil makes it do better with different tolerances than others. If an oil is less viscous (lighter weight) than it should be you will have excessive wear because it won't be able to get moving parts separated, if the oil is more viscous (higher weight) then it might not be able to get into tight tolerance places and again you will get increased wear because of lack of lubrication.
Heat reduces viscosity and if your talking about the 535, the oil also lubricates the turbo bearings which get very hot and is hard on oil. Oil goes through a process called coking when it gets beyond its heat limit, not a good thing. The BMW engineers are recommending Castrol Syntec 5W-30 (check the owners manual, not all BMW are the same) and that decision was based upon testing.
If you are idling in traffic most of the time, you would build up more heat and might need a heavier oil. Thats the same if you tow something or drive a sustained high speeds. The only reason to go to a lighter weight is if you are in a very cold climate and drive short distances where the oil never really heats up.
I would not second guess the owners manual.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='529192' date='Feb 9 2008, 05:25 AM
The engines are designed and manufactured with specific clearance tolerances and the weight of the oil makes it do better with different tolerances than others. If an oil is less viscous (lighter weight) than it should be you will have excessive wear because it won't be able to get moving parts separated, if the oil is more viscous (higher weight) then it might not be able to get into tight tolerance places and again you will get increased wear because of lack of lubrication.
Heat reduces viscosity and if your talking about the 535, the oil also lubricates the turbo bearings which get very hot and is hard on oil. Oil goes through a process called coking when it gets beyond its heat limit, not a good thing. The BMW engineers are recommending Castrol Syntec 5W-30 (check the owners manual, not all BMW are the same) and that decision was based upon testing.
If you are idling in traffic most of the time, you would build up more heat and might need a heavier oil. Thats the same if you tow something or drive a sustained high speeds. The only reason to go to a lighter weight is if you are in a very cold climate and drive short distances where the oil never really heats up.
I would not second guess the owners manual.
Well said and another point....I too plan on changing my own oil, (mid BMW oil change interval), and I believe it would be beter to stick to the same brand/weight as what the dealer is going to be using every other oil change...(i.e., at the regular service interval).

Question, I asked this in another thread but never did see an answer...can anyone verify that the oil monitoring system in these cars is based upon time/mileage - not actual "driving conditions"?
Old 02-09-2008, 05:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='529202' date='Feb 9 2008, 09:00 AM
Well said and another point....I too plan on changing my own oil, (mid BMW oil change interval), and I believe it would be beter to stick to the same brand/weight as what the dealer is going to be using every other oil change...(i.e., at the regular service interval).

Question, I asked this in another thread but never did see an answer...can anyone verify that the oil monitoring system in these cars is based upon time/mileage - not actual "driving conditions"?
Based upon consequential evidence: Everyones oil change would happen at the exact same mileage or time interval if it was not an active monitoring system. Mine right now is scheduled for 13,000 miles.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='529205' date='Feb 9 2008, 06:06 AM
Based upon consequential evidence: Everyones oil change would happen at the exact same mileage or time interval if it was not an active monitoring system. Mine right now is scheduled for 13,000 miles.

Interesting...what parameters do you suspect the system is using...trip duration, speeds, rpm, ambient temps
Old 02-09-2008, 05:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='529206' date='Feb 9 2008, 09:10 AM
Interesting...what parameters do you suspect the system is using...trip duration, speeds, rpm, ambient temps
The ones you list sound like they would be the best ones. When is your oil change due, you can look at idrive under the service tab and select oil change.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Contributors

I am planning to do an Oil/filter change every 7500 miles as opposed to the 15,000 recommended. This is what I've done in both of my Turbo Volvos (both over 10 years old) using Mobil1 5w30 and the engines are still running like they were the day I drove them off the lot.

On the BMW I will do the alternate changes myself and I will let the dealer do the covered maintenance changes at the recommended interval.

I plan to use Mobil1 0w40 (Its stocked at my local Advance Auto) and will probably supply the dealer with the oil for the covered maintenance oil changes (yeah I know it'll cost me $45 for the oil, but that way I'm always using the same oil).

I don't believe they will complain... Its saving them some $$.

BTW.. For those that are interested, here are the Mobil1 specs for the 0w40 (showing BMW specifications). The other Mobil1 grades do not carry the necessary certifications.
Attached Thumbnails Is is OK to use a different oil?-mobil1.jpg  
Old 02-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Members

My Ride: Current - MY2008 530i comfort access,active steering, HUD, prof nav/TV, bluetootth etc ..... Old - 2006 530i comfort access, active steering, HUD, NAV/TV, Bluetooth

Interesting,

I thought that a multi-grade oil behaved as a mono-grade at both ends of the rating. So, a 0-40 would be as viscous at a 0 grade mono-grade at low temperatures and when hot would be as viscous as a 40 grade mono-grade oil at high temperatures. Effectively giving protection across the temperature ranges at the band of weights indicated.

I also thought that this meant that the problems mentioned by Pennetta are excluded specifically by the design of the oil.

I was unaware that the numbers also indicated an ability or not to get into or separate moving parts.

Quick Reply: Is is OK to use a different oil?