E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ok, SMG is killing me...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '05 545i, with the flippy shifters.

IN the past week I have gotten errors for a flat tire, passenger side airbag, etc etc etc.

Now, it is in a parking lot across town, stuck in Nuetral, starts fine, but will not go into gear for love nor money.

I have tried resetting things with the odm button... it worked, but didn't do jack all for the trans (which is currently in the error state) it had done this before, but I got out made a couple calls, tried again and the error and the problem had vanished.

I have seen bits about it possibly being battery or possibly alternator...

Anyone have any idea besides the 600$ diagnostic from East Bay BMW?

Thanks,

--L
Old 06-14-2009, 12:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG

Originally Posted by Launcelot' post='911016' date='Jun 13 2009, 10:21 PM

IN the past week I have gotten errors for a flat tire, passenger side airbag, etc etc etc.

Now, it is in a parking lot across town, stuck in Nuetral, starts fine, but will not go into gear for love nor money.

I have tried resetting things with the odm button... it worked, but didn't do jack all for the trans (which is currently in the error state) it had done this before, but I got out made a couple calls, tried again and the error and the problem had vanished.

Thanks,

--L
I recommend you to search e46 m3forum. Although e46 m3's smg is lil different than ours(autologic, softwares) but the basic configuration of smg is same.
There are a lot of discussions about smg problems and I'm sure you can find similar symtoms over there.
Good luck.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

sounds like hydraulic pressure pumps.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Or it could also be something as simple as the microswitch that is attached to the brake pedal that prevents the gear selector from moving into gear...
Old 06-15-2009, 01:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='911162' date='Jun 14 2009, 06:10 AM
Or it could also be something as simple as the microswitch that is attached to the brake pedal that prevents the gear selector from moving into gear...

Nope, not the switch, it moves just fine, just doesn't actually engage the gear...

::bangs head::

I have the worlds most expensive 4 seater stereo ::laughing:: but it was nice to have tunes while cleaning the garage today.

--L
Old 06-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i SMG, silver grey, grey Dakota leather, dark poplar, 124's, Nav, Logic 7, PDC, CWP, xenon adaptive lights, comfort seats, electric rear sunshade, hardwired V1, Bluetooth, Aux input, Progman 25, poplar wood trim front lower dash and rear cente

Same thing happened to my 545i SMG last year - transmission warning on highway 680. By the time I pulled off the road the transmission wouldn't go into any gear. Towed to East Bay BMW, diagnosed as a hydraulic pump failure. I'd bet you have the same issue.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by Launcelot' post='911016' date='Jun 13 2009, 11:21 PM

Thanks,

--L
Old 06-15-2009, 01:51 PM
bzq
Members

Originally Posted by Launcelot' post='911016' date='Jun 14 2009, 07:21 AM

Thanks,

--L
Hi, some time ago I got also some problems with my smg. IT wont change gears after when engine was hot. Stuck into neutral and transsmision fault light came. I fight wit this for some time. I have changed clutch and dual mass flyhwhell. But it wont help. After time I saw in live data that clutch travel sensor stops working when engine was hot. So it was it. Clutch Travel sensor. It is really easy to check it, if you got Gt1 or Inpa make live data from digital data drom your gearbox. Normaly when everything is ok you shoud have 600-750 incremente but when he stops working it is 99. When data is 99inc it is impossible to change any gear.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Mine used to get stuck in gear, so it wouldnt start and you couldnt tow it either. They had to replace the entire tranny, Fun times.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Launcelot' post='911937' date='Jun 15 2009, 05:41 AM
Nope, not the switch, it moves just fine, just doesn't actually engage the gear...

::bangs head::

I have the worlds most expensive 4 seater stereo ::laughing:: but it was nice to have tunes while cleaning the garage today.

--L

dont take it too hard... it will be fixed... when I got my car, and it didnt have any warranty, but after reading alot of post about the SMG and the issues it had, I bought an aftermarket one...
Old 06-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545I SMG. 2006 Nissan Titan SE. 2006 Daytona 675. YZ250F. John Deere 2520.

Originally Posted by Ellicit' post='912988' date='Jun 16 2009, 03:15 AM
dont take it too hard... it will be fixed... when I got my car, and it didnt have any warranty, but after reading alot of post about the SMG and the issues it had, I bought an aftermarket one...
You bought an aftermarket SMG transmission? Where?

Quick Reply: Ok, SMG is killing me...