E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, I am stumped, any help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV
Default OK, I am stumped, any help appreciated

I recently bought a loaded 2008 550, and I keep finding new options it has that I didn't know it had. Now I have a new one that I cannot figure out how it is used, and yes, I RTFM - thanks.

Under my rearview mirror there is clearly a camera between the mirror and the windshield. According to the manual this indicates Lane Departure System, however, I do not have the corresponding steering wheel button, nor one next to my light switch. Why the hell is the camera there? What is it for? How to activate whatever "feature" uses it?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Rain light sensor :-) It's how the system detects the presence and volume of water to activate and control the wiper speed when in automatic mode.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Found BMW's explanation on it...

BMW Technology Guide : Rain sensor
Old 02-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

I believe it's for your adaptive cruise control. While in cruise mode, if you leave your lane, the camera will "sense" you are drifting out of your lane and will warn you.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
Found BMW's explanation on it...

BMW Technology Guide : Rain sensor

I think/thought the rain sensor is within the rearview mirror base mount. I believe it's the hole below the words "ConnectedDrive" on the mounting base in the pic? The pic is a little deceiving. I could be wrong though...
Old 02-02-2013, 11:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

the rain sensor is against the glass inside the mirror base.
as for adaptive cruise, i believe thats mounted on the lower portion of bumper by the lower grill.
on the back of the mirror, i'm guessing it may be a light sensor??
Old 02-03-2013, 12:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Your all wrong, its high beam assist. I have this and its really smart. Basicly Pjinca pull the high lever until you see the headlight symbol with "A" next to it in the instrument cluster. This enables the high beams to come on when there's no light in front of the car, the camera can sense red and white light so it turns off the high beams when there's a car in front of you on either side of the road.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:04 AM
Contributors

Leave it to BLooD for the win!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:27 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by BLooD
Your all wrong, its high beam assist. I have this and its really smart. Basicly Pjinca pull the high lever until you see the headlight symbol with "A" next to it in the instrument cluster. This enables the high beams to come on when there's no light in front of the car, the camera can sense red and white light so it turns off the high beams when there's a car in front of you on either side of the road.
Can this be retrofit?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Originally Posted by 545iMike
Can this be retrofit?
Yes it can if you fancy buying the camera and changing the mirror mount (high risk of cracking the screen).

Quick Reply: OK, I am stumped, any help appreciated