E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ok, answer this one!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 04:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ats77' post='299629' date='Jun 19 2006, 02:28 PM
of course no offense how was your exams???
Till now...good thank you but now comes the hard part...
Old 06-19-2006, 04:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by juliann' post='299632' date='Jun 19 2006, 02:35 PM
Have you tried jabbing the brake with your left foot as you turn in ? This will transfer weight to the front end, get the back lighter and bring it round. Start gently then build up confidence.
Good advice....will try that also. First i have to re-teach myself the braking for the left foot i mean real progressive braking!
Old 06-19-2006, 05:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='299680' date='Jun 19 2006, 01:54 PM
Good advice....will try that also. First i have to re-teach myself the braking for the left foot i mean real progressive braking!
Left foot braking is not a particularly good idea for rear wheel drive cars.

The technique is used mainly in rally driving to induce oversteer in front wheel drive cars when cornering under power. The idea is that you brake for a corner as normal, drop into the right gear and when you put the power back on, use both feet at once - full power on the accelerator with your right foot and an appropriate amount of braking with your left.

In a front wheel drive car this would cause the rear wheels to slow (and ultimately lock up) causing them to lose adhesion and because you are cornering, the back end will slide out and you have oversteer. The front wheels will continue to turn despite the braking because of the acceleration.

In a front wheel drive car, this will allow you to powerslide round the corner, but in a rear wheel drive car you will be locking the front wheels rather than the back ones and so will probably spin out.

Braking on the way into a corner will load more weight onto the the front wheels which will improve grip, but this is always in moderation cause you are using that grip in 2 ways - 1 to decelerate the car and 2 to turn it. There is only so much grip available and if you brake too hard, you won't be able to rurn and hence will understeer again....
Old 06-19-2006, 06:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='299695' date='Jun 19 2006, 04:22 PM

The technique is used mainly in rally driving to induce oversteer in front wheel drive cars when cornering under power. The idea is that you brake for a corner as normal, drop into the right gear and when you put the power back on, use both feet at once - full power on the accelerator with your right foot and an appropriate amount of braking with your left.

In a front wheel drive car this would cause the rear wheels to slow (and ultimately lock up) causing them to lose adhesion and because you are cornering, the back end will slide out and you have oversteer. The front wheels will continue to turn despite the braking because of the acceleration.

In a front wheel drive car, this will allow you to powerslide round the corner, but in a rear wheel drive car you will be locking the front wheels rather than the back ones and so will probably spin out.

Braking on the way into a corner will load more weight onto the the front wheels which will improve grip, but this is always in moderation cause you are using that grip in 2 ways - 1 to decelerate the car and 2 to turn it. There is only so much grip available and if you brake too hard, you won't be able to rurn and hence will understeer again....
Indeed...i understand and fully agree with left foot braking...i was talking more about what skaffa ment also. Brake way later to keep as much weight on the front as possible when kissing the apex. But i do agree with you with the last bit of your post.
Well i learned and still drive this way: brake, turn, accelerate. Every manouver at it's own time. Cuz if you brake and turn at the same time you are asking the front wheels (even though they catch a bit more grip) to do the steering and the turning and that extra grip gained is minimal compared to the extra work they have to do.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='299695' date='Jun 19 2006, 02:22 PM
It's sometimes the only way to get decent turn in on my E30 320 race car.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='299395' date='Jun 18 2006, 11:11 PM
Tonight because of the light trafiic, i decided to let her go again on my favorite bit of road, and i really pushed it at max...REALLY at the car's max....and mine. DSC off, of course, and at high speed cornering, when i really pushed it, i noticed a lil bit too much understeer than i would have wanted. Of course it's safer to be a bit understeery but i would have wanted less. So at those high speed corners when body roll is quite significant (because of the big weight of course) the slight body roll doesn't piss me at all since i like it a bit, and gives me more feel of what the car is actually doing and acting, the understeer upsets me a bit since i really have to push that throttle (because of the lack of lsd) to counter that understeer and turn it into that oversteer, but at those speeds (80-120km/h) is kinda hard to keep it exactly on that rezor's edge with the exact quantity of oversteer to cover the turn perfectly.
So i would ask now, what can i do to change that a bit? I would still want to have a bit of understeer initialy, but less than it is now? Working on toe and camber settings is an option? What do you think?

THanx!
My solution. Buy a z3 coupe 2.8.
p.s. mine is for sale BTW
Old 06-19-2006, 06:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by juliann' post='299720' date='Jun 19 2006, 03:27 PM
It's sometimes the only way to get decent turn in on my E30 320 race car.
And I think you probably know much better than me !

To be honest I haven't experienced much understeer in my e60, but if I did then a jab on the brakes and a little flick would probably loosen up the rear end quite well.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='299727' date='Jun 19 2006, 03:43 PM
And I think you probably know much better than me !
I didn't say it wins me any races
Old 06-19-2006, 08:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by juliann' post='299765' date='Jun 19 2006, 05:00 PM
Depends if you get extra points for drifting I suppose
Old 06-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by juliann' post='299765' date='Jun 19 2006, 07:00 PM