E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ok, answer this one!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 01:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Tonight because of the light trafiic, i decided to let her go again on my favorite bit of road, and i really pushed it at max...REALLY at the car's max....and mine. DSC off, of course, and at high speed cornering, when i really pushed it, i noticed a lil bit too much understeer than i would have wanted. Of course it's safer to be a bit understeery but i would have wanted less. So at those high speed corners when body roll is quite significant (because of the big weight of course) the slight body roll doesn't piss me at all since i like it a bit, and gives me more feel of what the car is actually doing and acting, the understeer upsets me a bit since i really have to push that throttle (because of the lack of lsd) to counter that understeer and turn it into that oversteer, but at those speeds (80-120km/h) is kinda hard to keep it exactly on that rezor's edge with the exact quantity of oversteer to cover the turn perfectly.
So i would ask now, what can i do to change that a bit? I would still want to have a bit of understeer initialy, but less than it is now? Working on toe and camber settings is an option? What do you think?

THanx!
Old 06-18-2006, 01:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='299395' date='Jun 18 2006, 04:11 PM
Tonight because of the light trafiic, i decided to let her go again on my favorite bit of road, and i really pushed it at max...REALLY at the car's max....and mine. DSC off, of course, and at high speed cornering, when you really push it, i notice a lil bit too much understeer than i would have wanted. Of course it's safer to be a bit understtery but i would have wanted less. So at those high speed corners when body roll is quite significant (because of the big weight of course) but the slight body roll doesn't piss me at all since i like it a bit, and gives me more feel of what the car is actually doing and acting, but the understeer upsets me a bit since i really have to push that throttle (because of the lack of lsd) to counter that understeer and turn it into that oversteer, but at those speeds (80-120km/h) is kinda hard to keep it exactly on that rezor's edge with the exact quantity of oversteer to cover the turn perfectly.
So i would ask now, what can i do to change that a bit? I would still want to have a bit of understeer initialy, but less than it is now? Working on toe and camber settings is an option? What do you think?

THanx!
I can't help with settings. And, I know that you are a better racy driver than I am, but I learned, at Bondurant, to counter understeer (i.e., going straight really fast when one would strongly prefer to turn ) by letting up on the throttle. Please me with what you are saying.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Up your tire pressure in the rear.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Members

hmm .. i think you oculd acctually reduce the tyre pressure a bit in your front tyres .. that should get you more grip .. which inturn should reduce unterstear .. atleast i think that would work
Old 06-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='299396' date='Jun 19 2006, 12:16 AM
I can't help with settings. And, I know that you are a better racy driver than I am, but I learned, at Bondurant, to counter understeer (i.e., going straight really fast when one would strongly prefer to turn ) by letting up on the throttle. Please me with what you are saying.
Yes....agree but that would slow me too much...i would have liked...i dunno more grip from the front tires, more bite, not loosing the battle with friction so easily...i have the back tires for that
Will post a clip in a week or so...both from the inside and a shot from the outside of the car, exaclty in that corner, in fact...it's a big go around.
And at those speeds to get the back tires in drift is quite hard...why? Because the car lacks an lsd, because 1st the inner tire will start to smoke, and then when it lets go it lets go kind of brutal, and because exactly of the high speed when you need as much power to the rear wheels to make them brake loose. Not to mention fish-tailing...
I would have wanted less understeer so i can safely accelerate more and progressive to some oversteer, not like a big line between them, when either you have understeer or you get oversteer. Don't get me wrong the car acts beautiful 99% of the time but at that particular 1% when it's really being pushed to it's fizical limits i would have wanted set-uped a bit better. Maybe a some more negative camber on thew front wheels would help....

This is nice to read to understand some more principles: http://www.advancedracing.com/chassissetup.php

Cheers and thank you for your kind words!
Old 06-18-2006, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='299397' date='Jun 19 2006, 12:21 AM
Up your tire pressure in the rear.
Really or you were just joking?!
Old 06-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by P.S.B' post='299398' date='Jun 19 2006, 12:23 AM
hmm .. i think you oculd acctually reduce the tyre pressure a bit in your front tyres .. that should get you more grip .. which inturn should reduce unterstear .. atleast i think that would work
Thank you...like going from 2.2 as bmw specifies to 2.0 or 1.9 bar? Is that enough or go lower? Thanx!
Old 06-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='299412' date='Jun 18 2006, 03:05 PM
Really or you were just joking?!

No I'm not joking... kinda the same concept as lowering the pressure for the front... you might want to try that first... and then if you dont like P.S.B.'s technique try raising the pressure in the rear... dont go crazy... couple lbs to try first...

That wont give you more bite in the front.. but it'll help break the rear traction loose sooner on the turn... hence less understeer...

P.S. Dont forget... I too like to go staight fast like Znod but do like the capability to make fast tight turns... so twisties arnt my speciality...
Old 06-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='299421' date='Jun 19 2006, 01:23 AM
No I'm not joking... kinda the same concept as lowering the pressure for the front... you might want to try that first... and then if you dont like P.S.B.'s technique try raising the pressure in the rear... dont go crazy... couple lbs to try first...

That wont give you more bite in the front.. but it'll help break the rear traction loose sooner on the turn... hence less understeer...

P.S. Dont forget... I too like to go staight fast like Znod but do like the capability to make fast tight turns... so twisties arnt my speciality...
Thank you, and good advice. Will try that next time.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='299408' date='Jun 18 2006, 05:02 PM
Yes....agree but that would slow me too much...i would have liked...i dunno more grip from the front tires, more bite, not loosing the battle with friction so easily...i have the back tires for that
Will post a clip in a week or so...both from the inside and a shot from the outside of the car, exaclty in that corner, in fact...it's a big go around.
And at those speeds to get the back tires in drift is quite hard...why? Because the car lacks an lsd, because 1st the inner tire will start to smoke, and then when it lets go it lets go kind of brutal, and because exactly of the high speed when you need as much power to the rear wheels to make them brake loose. Not to mention fish-tailing...
I would have wanted less understeer so i can safely accelerate more and progressive to some oversteer, not like a big line between them, when either you have understeer or you get oversteer. Don't get me wrong the car acts beautiful 99% of the time but at that particular 1% when it's really being pushed to it's fizical limits i would have wanted set-uped a bit better. Maybe a some more negative camber on thew front wheels would help....

This is nice to read to understand some more principles: http://www.advancedracing.com/chassissetup.php

Cheers and thank you for your kind words!
I see what you mean, mostly. I'll check out your read. Thanks much.

Quick Reply: Ok, answer this one!