E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ok… the weirdest thing just happened E60… SOS/BT/AUX

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 09:16 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 E60 535i Sportline, 20" wheels, soon-to-be custom stereo
Default Ok… the weirdest thing just happened E60… SOS/BT/AUX

In my new-to-me 2010 E60 535i, from the time I bought it, I’ve had an SOS malfunction light, no BT (wouldn’t populate on my phone) and no AUX (the USB/3.5mm jack is inside the front of my arm rest, but when I select AUX on the screen, nothing happens)

I decided to check the fuses and of the ones that were there none were burnt that I could see, so I decided to do a trunk check (I had a fiber loop that I needed to try)

when I lifted the spare tire there was this crusty corroded module with BT symbols on it (see photo) when I fiber-looped out this piece, the SOS light has now gone out, and funny enough, the BT started working…(still no AUX tho)… I looped out the box that says BT, and the BT started working… ??🤔

any ideas on how to bring back AUX now?

thanks!!

Old 09-13-2022, 07:13 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Clear sign the trunk has had a lot of water in it at some point. Common issue. BMW has issued a bulletin to move all the electronics from that area some somewhere up along the rear fender. On my car, I moved it all to the left side near the rear tail light. That module is probably dead at this point. If you can open it up, perhaps you'll get lucky and can scrub enough crap off with a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol, but I'm guessing you will need a new module. Surf around to find out if it needs to be coded -- I don't know off hand. Check this other stuff living under the spare tire.

Also, water in the trunk is usually from one of three things: clogged sunroof drain, trunk magically pops open during rainstorm (most likely from the key being pushed without knowing), big spill in the trunk.
The following users liked this post:
Dark Vader (09-13-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 11:42 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 E60 535i Sportline, 20" wheels, soon-to-be custom stereo

Originally Posted by twh
Clear sign the trunk has had a lot of water in it at some point. Common issue. BMW has issued a bulletin to move all the electronics from that area some somewhere up along the rear fender. On my car, I moved it all to the left side near the rear tail light. That module is probably dead at this point. If you can open it up, perhaps you'll get lucky and can scrub enough crap off with a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol, but I'm guessing you will need a new module. Surf around to find out if it needs to be coded -- I don't know off hand. Check this other stuff living under the spare tire.

Also, water in the trunk is usually from one of three things: clogged sunroof drain, trunk magically pops open during rainstorm (most likely from the key being pushed without knowing), big spill in the trunk.

thanks!! I’ve found a bunch of MULF2]s on eBay, but I still don’t know if I have to match any of the numbers on it, or code it into the system in any way… or if I get one, does it just plug in, and will I get my AUX to work? (Didn’t work from day one)