E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just have this nightmare to go the auto store and add oil in the parking lot with the El Caminos and Olds, etc. Pretty inconvenient for 60K plus cars. My 2 cents.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Members

Just picked my car up a few hours ago at the dealership for the same exact problem. The Service Advisor said that it had a code 2F9E that indicated a bad "oil condition sensor". Time will tell if its fixed since like you said it comes and goes. Would have been a heck of alot easier if they would have put a dipstick in the thing!!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Members

I want a dipstick too! Use the i-Drive for something else. Like coolant temperature. :-))
Old 03-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MRV99
Well I do 7500 oil changes and yes I did burn oil along with hundreds of people on this forum. I have followed the break in procedures like BMW states and I still had the problem.

And to your response about my 2011 x5. You really do not know what you are talking about. BMW has officially stated that oil consumption at a rate of 1qt every 750 to 3000 miles is normal on the 4.4tt motor. This was revised down from the 1500-3000 originally stated. I am friends with my SA and he tells me that almost EVERY 550, 750, X55.0 and X5m x65.0'and X6m that he has as a client needs oil on average of 3000 and some cars he is seeing every 1000. I guess BMW has produced a ton of engines with problems.
You're probably right ... I humbly beg for your forgiveness.

PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR EXPRESSING MY OPINION!

OH ... I think it'd be great if you would post (maybe a sticky) the "OFFICIAL" BMW notice about oil consumption. My BMW dealer service manager probably doesn't know what he's talking about either!
Old 03-19-2011, 01:25 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 530i M Sport N52

modern motors use oil when they're bedding in, if your BMW service manager says they don't, he's a dipstick ( ouch! )

oil consumption during the life of the engine depends on driving style and oil used. driving aggressively can use up to 1 litre every 1500 miles according to my E60 euro handbook.

I usually need to add 1 litre every 4K miles.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

That is not an "error", would you consider the gas warning an error? In my 545 and now in my 550 I have to add oil every now and then, in fact I just got that warning two days ago and added one quart of oil. This is perfectly normal. There is no oil "leak", these cars burn oil. BMW even sells a case to keep a quart of oil handy!
Old 03-19-2011, 06:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mercutio
modern motors use oil when they're bedding in, if your BMW service manager says they don't, he's a dipstick ( ouch! )
oil consumption during the life of the engine depends on driving style and oil used. driving aggressively can use up to 1 litre every 1500 miles according to my E60 euro handbook.
I usually need to add 1 litre every 4K miles.
I would not consider 1 litre every 4K (is that mi or km?) excessive. I, however, would (as does my BMW SM) consider 1 qt /750mi excessive for 'normal' driving. Certainly aggressive driving can increase oil consumption. However, in my personal experience over nearly one million driving miles (7 of those vehicles were or are BMWs), I've not encountered that kind of oil use.

Maybe I'm lucky??

That said I personally don't want this to specific discussion become a p_ssing contest. I'm reporting my personal experience and opinion. I enjoy lively debate but feel that inappropriate characterizations and personal attacks. are NOT warranted amongst this forum 'fraternity'.

Have a good day!
Old 03-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Members

if i were you i'd check if there is any oil at the bottom of the car like on the bottom panel. if it is, then its likely that you're leaking oil. And i'm bout to change the gasket valves under the engine, so that it doesn't leak anymore. This is according to a friend of mine who worked at the Dealership.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:56 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 530i M Sport N52

Originally Posted by luigi524td
I would not consider 1 litre every 4K (is that mi or km?) excessive. I, however, would (as does my BMW SM) consider 1 qt /750mi excessive for 'normal' driving. Certainly aggressive driving can increase oil consumption. However, in my personal experience over nearly one million driving miles (7 of those vehicles were or are BMWs), I've not encountered that kind of oil use.

Maybe I'm lucky??

That said I personally don't want this to specific discussion become a p_ssing contest. I'm reporting my personal experience and opinion. I enjoy lively debate but feel that inappropriate characterizations and personal attacks. are NOT warranted amongst this forum 'fraternity'.

Have a good day!
i was being light hearted, you should try it
Old 03-20-2011, 06:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mercutio
i was being light hearted, you should try it
Thanks ... I understand completely and thank you for the advice .. I do need to lighten up too.
Maybe I'm suffering from "lack-o-guinness"

Quick Reply: Oil Problem??