E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Level Too High?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After receiving my last free oil change from my dealer two weeks ago, I checked the oil level on the idrive and it was green up to the top green square on the indicator. There is one more level but I had never seen it hit that mark.

Yesterday, while driving I again checked the oil level and the indicator is now yellow and is up to the top level and there is a note now that says my oil level is too high. I have never seen it yellow or up to the top mark before in the 6 years I have had the car.

The error message doesnt come up in the I drive unless I am in the oil check screen so its not telling me to pull over. I checked the oil level with the dip stick and its slightly above the top mark but with dip sticks its always difficult to tell exactly where it is.

I called the dealer and they dont seem too concerned as I am in there again next Tuesday for the recall fix.

Has any of you seen this issue on your car? I dont think anti freeze is seeping in as the oil on the dip stick seems clear not cloudy but how the heck am I making oil? It has increased in level in 2 weeks?

When it comes to oil in my car I get concerned. BTW I never burn off any oil between changes on this car. Always stays on top mark on the indicator. and now its actually making more oil?
Old 05-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

FWIW - make sure the car is on level ground when you do the idrive check. Not sure about the V8, but on the I6 the sensor is in the back of the engine. There were times when I would pull into my neighbors driveway (which slopes down, but not a whole lot) and get a low oil warning but a few minutes after I'm back on level ground the error would clear.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealers probably put too much oil in it. It happen to me that's why I hate going to the dealers for anything. I ended up draining about 1 qt of extra oil and everything is fine. You should ask the dealers to drain some out if you dont want to do it yourself.