E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil Leaking in the Front

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i Silver - E60

Originally Posted by jgt
Aren't those oil coolers hoses? I believe only coolant runs through those hoses not oil.
Maybe some of the oil from the top leak got on them...
If the joints are leaking whatever they have in, oil/coolant, them my guess the only repair would be to swap out the hoses completely.
Good idea!
Old 02-09-2012, 07:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pcy
I would clean the entire area with brake parts cleaner and keep an eye... for source of the leak.

My guess is that the oil leaked from oil filter housing gasket is causing all of that mess.
I guess so. the engine oil level goes down very slowly, maybe because I don't drive too much...(I drive only 70 miles a week) If I drove more, it would be easier to assure that is engine oil. To replace a gasket, do I need to empty all the oil-contained part?
Old 02-09-2012, 08:54 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I'd clean everything up first like pcy said then determine where the leak is coming from exactly.
I'd doubt you'd have to drain the oil pan but you'll probably lose a quart when you take that gasket off.
You might as well do an full oil and filter change if you are due soon.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:43 PM
Members

One thing is ensured, part-9 (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...71&hg=11&fg=30) is leaking.
I put paper tissue in the space outside the joint, only the tip of the tissue got dirty.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

The oil is from oil fiter gasket housing and the pic of bottom of car appears to be active steering if you have that....which is quite normal. AS leaks slowly. very normal.

I would do this....

Turn off engine and allow it to cool.
Spray engine degreaser like engine bright all over the top and under car.
let sit for 15-20 minutes and hose off with higher pressure. by high pressure I do not mean a car wash bro just a normal garden hose with appropriate head.
keep hosing until all grime is off.
Let dry up a bit for about 30 min or so.
Drive car around and let water burn off and watch for a few days and see where the leaks are coming from.
Cars leak....BMWs are famous for leaking so don't worry a little oil isn't going to hurt.
Good luck.

Originally Posted by louisrai
One thing is ensured, part-9 (http://www.realoem.c...971&hg=11&fg=30) is leaking.
I put paper tissue in the space outside the joint, only the tip of the tissue got dirty.

As far as this goes ... part 9 is not leaking, part 4/5 is.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
The oil is from oil fiter gasket housing and the pic of bottom of car appears to be active steering if you have that....which is quite normal. AS leaks slowly. very normal.

I would do this....

Turn off engine and allow it to cool.
Spray engine degreaser like engine bright all over the top and under car.
let sit for 15-20 minutes and hose off with higher pressure. by high pressure I do not mean a car wash bro just a normal garden hose with appropriate head.
keep hosing until all grime is off.
Let dry up a bit for about 30 min or so.
Drive car around and let water burn off and watch for a few days and see where the leaks are coming from.
Cars leak....BMWs are famous for leaking so don't worry a little oil isn't going to hurt.
Good luck.

As far as this goes ... part 9 is not leaking, part 4/5 is.
Right, Part 4, 5 are the two gaskets.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:31 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I had the oil around the filter cap myself before. The o-ring that fits around the oil filter cap was crimped. That allow very slow pooling of oil around the filter cap. That could also explain the oil near there -- getting blown around by the fan.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I've tried to draw arrows to what you should check. And even if these "look okay", you should still change them - costs next to nothing
Oil Leaking in the Front-oil-leak.jpg

I've had this on my car for many years and it ended up being the oil cooler gaskets. They were something like 30 bucks from the dealer, replacing them takes two bolts and some TLC - search the forums, there are DIYs out there
Old 02-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Members

Finally got a vision on the leak! So it IS the gaskets! In the early freezing morning, when I start the engine, oil came right from the gasket in the front of the oil filter cap.I can find the price of the gaskets, but don't know where exactly to get them. Shall I just call the stealer?

Another question risen up along with this: it is only 2k miles after last oil change, how come the oil came out is dark black?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I've tried to draw arrows to what you should check. And even if these "look okay", you should still change them - costs next to nothing
Attachment 130439

I've had this on my car for many years and it ended up being the oil cooler gaskets. They were something like 30 bucks from the dealer, replacing them takes two bolts and some TLC - search the forums, there are DIYs out there
I tried to find DIY instruction, nothing in here, nothing on Youtube, nothing by google.....

Quick Reply: Oil Leaking in the Front