E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil filler cap replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 04:49 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

glad to hear your car is running smoothly; I know you've gone thru frustratioin-filled couple of weeks.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:35 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

Yes, it was definitely frustrating! I thought about selling it and get a Honda or Toyota; so I can drive it like a mad man. lol

SES for cylinder #4 (indicating a misfire) still pops up when I start the car. It only come on at start up. Other than some occasional hiccups/vibrations, the car does not feel like it's misfiring. If I clear it, it stays off for as long as I drive.

Thanks for your help!

Originally Posted by pcy
glad to hear your car is running smoothly; I know you've gone thru frustratioin-filled couple of weeks.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06' 530 Alpine/Auburn/Dark walnut, Sport, Premium, Sirius, 35% Tint Upcomming mods: M166's/Exclaim UHP's, Mtech
Hello E60l, been a long time since I posted but when I saw your query and the responses you were getting, I had to chime in because I'm having the exact same problem and it seems that the members who have responded to you don't quite understand what you are inquiring about so let me try asking the same question you asked but go a little more in depth: Assuming that you have an N52 engine like I do, we want to replace the engine oil filler cap because the 2 gaskets (one positioned directly in the cap itself under the locking tabs, and the other sits flat against the valve cover), are leaking, and the only way to replace the gaskets is to replace the entire cap assembly. The problem we are having with what SHOULD be a simple fix is that its damn near impossible to remove the cap assembly from the valve cover without breaking it off, which wouldn't be a problem except that if the only way to remove the old one is to break it off, then how could it be possible to put the new one in place without breaking that one as well? There has to be a way to separate the hard plastic ring portion of the filler cap assembly from the fill port of the valve cover without breaking it but I haven't figured it out. There are two guys on youtube, one pops it off with a screwdriver like its no friggan problem, and the other guy who has an e46 but the same style of cap assembly, pulls it off with his fingers!!! (gotta be kidding me!). Anybody who has done this please let us in on the secret, it CAN'T be this hard....
Old 07-25-2017, 08:16 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The oil filler cap on my engine seems to be glued on at times and is a real bear to remove.

First, remember that to remove it you need to rotate it counter clockwise.

I use two thumbs on alternate corners of the square cap and push hard with both thumbs to rotate it counter-clockwise and it will come loose. It really takes some force.