E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change Frequency

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sometimes wonder ...

My BMW is not due for an oil change for 24,000km. The computer supposably knows (through various sensors, and filters) when its time. BMW (and Mercedes) claim that there is no need to change the oil before that. What does this mean for the longevity of the engine ... I mean, some of us would like to keep the cars longer than 100,000km. Personally, I think that oil changes should be done at most at 12,000 for "super synthetic" high tech oil. In my "civic-racer" that I had (fully built motor), I ran AMSOIL 5w30. I would change it every 7,000km and it was pitch black. I think that AMSOIL is the best oil out there ... better that Mobil and all the rest of those guys because a friend who I trust and who is unbiased and who knows what he is talking about told me so.

Again, getting back to the topic, shouldn't we change the oil more frequently?
Old 09-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

Originally Posted by andy535xi' post='676883' date='Sep 24 2008, 09:47 AM
I sometimes wonder ...

My BMW is not due for an oil change for 24,000km. The computer supposably knows (through various sensors, and filters) when its time. BMW (and Mercedes) claim that there is no need to change the oil before that. What does this mean for the longevity of the engine ... I mean, some of us would like to keep the cars longer than 100,000km. Personally, I think that oil changes should be done at most at 12,000 for "super synthetic" high tech oil. In my "civic-racer" that I had (fully built motor), I ran AMSOIL 5w30. I would change it every 7,000km and it was pitch black. I think that AMSOIL is the best oil out there ... better that Mobil and all the rest of those guys because a friend who I trust and who is unbiased and who knows what he is talking about told me so.

I'm a bit paranoid about oil changes and am looking for long life from my cars. Absolute max I'd ever go before an oil change is 10k for my 545. My wife's SUV is every 5k, but that's dealer recommended. With the heat, humidity, and crappy air quality of Dubai, I just don't trust some sensor to tell me when the car is choking to death. I mean, I'm sure it's probably fine but hey, better safe than sorry when you're talking about our precious bimmers .
Old 09-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F10 M5 DMS RE-MAP 770BHP All Black

Originally Posted by andy535xi' post='676883' date='Sep 23 2008, 09:47 PM
I sometimes wonder ...

Guys, I also think the men at BMW also know what they are talking about too, but its entirely your perogative if you want to change it sooner, the E60 engine is a very complicated and balanced tuned piece of kit with many thousands of hours testing even in hot and dusty areas.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

So basically follow what the computer says, and do the oil changes when required.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F10 M5 DMS RE-MAP 770BHP All Black

Originally Posted by tbal' post='676935' date='Sep 23 2008, 11:46 PM
So basically follow what the computer says, and do the oil changes when required.
Each to their own as I have said, but also there is no harm if you want further changes than necessary, other guys may suggest different, but I think it is not necessary especially when using the correct oil in the first place
Old 09-24-2008, 05:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats
Thumbs down

This has been a recurring topic and the answer really depends on who you talk to.

My research into the topic has lead me to the following conclusions:
1. BMWs iDrive system is equipped with real time sensors that monitor oil levels and presumably oil quality. We know that if you drive the car hard, you will need oil changes more sooner than later, for example.
2. The issue of concern remains longevity of the engine, a point that BMW does not in any way endorse, propose or discuss. So, from my perspective as owner of my car, one can assume that once the 50K warranty or the 100K CPO warranty is over, BMWs interest in maintaining your engine ceases.
3. For those of us that want to keep your car longer - follow your own schedule of oil changes. Keep in mind that the iDrive dictates oil changes for ALL BMWs ~ including the BMWs owned by BMW CEOs, employees, the loaner vehicle fleet at your local dealership [those are owned by BMW NA, not by the dealership], as well as ALL leased and sold vehicles. Clearly, they would not design a system that lends itself to engine issues for such a simple thing as an oil change. There are many more effective ways to save money for an entity like BMW.

So - what should you do??? IMHO - follow the iDrive but replace every 10K even if its not due. Theres a lot to be said about engine oil that has had 10K miles of use in it......

Just my 0.02....Im curious as to what some of the admin/mods have to say....

S
Old 09-24-2008, 05:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I go 10K between changes using Mobile 1 0w-40 European formula. Supposely fully sythn. unlike the other Mobile 1's.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

I once read that with these modern synthetic oils, your car is able to run it''s full life without oil change. The guy in the article had a car with 300k km's and had never changed the oil (he was a retired scientist who worked at Shell)!

Think of it: BMW earn's money on the oil changes. Do you think they would postpone the oil changes? I think they would let you do the service in advance....

Of course, it's also dependent of your driving style and number of cold starts. Good thing the Idrive calculates with these figures!
Old 09-24-2008, 06:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by tbal' post='676935' date='Sep 24 2008, 10:46 AM
+1. Why would the car have a such computer feature otherwise?

So it may be well 1,5 years until the first change (as in my ex-E60) after delivery.

Also use whatever oil my dealer has (usually Shell, Castrol or Mobil 1).
But according to tests made by European magazines the Mobil 1 is the best you can get.

I seldom have my cars for more than 60,000 km's (about 40,000 miles),
actually, they are usually much less driven in 2 - 3 years.

But if I would own my car(s) for 5 years or more and go for over 100,000 miles,
I would do the first oil (and filter) change at some 4 - 5 kmiles and thereafter every 10 k.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:22 AM
Contributors

How about a compromise???

Change the oil filter, which can be done by anyone in 3 minutes, and leave the oil for the regular time period.

I think that it does not hurt to change the oil as much as you want.

The last time that I changed my oil on my own after only 5 km, it looked like it was just fine. This synthetic stuff is great, and it does not even stain garage floors like real oil.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Frequency