E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil Change Frequency

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 06:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we "consumers" have been brain washed to do whatever was told (not just cars). Oil change every 3000 miles was part of the marketing gimmick, that we are also trained to server our cars and spend money on it. For what reason do you think blackening oil means no good? Do more research and don't be fool!

Oil can be use for a very long time, longer then you can imagine, as long as the filter is functional.

Media is toxic! not the dirty-looking-oil.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by LW78' post='677023' date='Sep 24 2008, 08:26 AM
I once read that with these modern synthetic oils, your car is able to run it''s full life without oil change. The guy in the article had a car with 300k km's and had never changed the oil (he was a retired scientist who worked at Shell)!

Think of it: BMW earn's money on the oil changes. Do you think they would postpone the oil changes? I think they would let you do the service in advance....

Of course, it's also dependent of your driving style and number of cold starts. Good thing the Idrive calculates with these figures!
Because it can lead to bigger repairs ($$$$$). Look at all the fluids now BMW are saying is lifetime. Yet in 03 5 series they aren't telling you that. Fluids didn't just change over night. There is no such thing as a lifetime fluid.

Oil now is synthetic in all BMW's I believe. So they get more money out of you for that oil change. Instead $50 it is $150 or whatever the case is. They aren't losing money.

Blackstone studies haven't showed you can run synthetic oil for a life time. I think that scientist was a little wacky. I won't trust any oil over 15K. Its cheap and easy to replace so why would anyone even want to risk it??
Old 09-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Modern synthetics are quite good and should handle the chores of lubrication as measured by the on-board electronics. Mine is not even 'using' oil - still showing up to level ... even 8K miles after recent service.

I may do a mid-cycle filter change just for peace of mind and top off, if necessary, with the spare quart of BMW oil my dealer SA gave me last time I was in to see him.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:33 PM
Senior Members

Perhaps the colour of oil is not an indication of how well it will perform.

To be absolutely sure, next time someone who reads this is due for an oil change, ask BMW to drain 0.5L into a bottle and take it to an independant testing lab. Then compare the results with "new" oil - also from BMW.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Members

I am not too sure on what the iDrive shows. On a recent trip to Maine, the Oil service light started to come on occasionally and a few days later the warning came and stayed on, although the iDrive still showed 4K miles before Oil service.
I didnt take a chance and poured in a quart and the warning light went off. So I am not sure how much to depend on the iDrive.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Originally Posted by LW78' post='677023' date='Sep 24 2008, 09:26 AM
Think of it: BMW earn's money on the oil changes. Do you think they would postpone the oil changes? I think they would let you do the service in advance....
Well, the first 4 years' worth of oil changes is on their dime, at least in the US.

So, No. They don't earn money for oil changes during the warranty period. Beyond that is a different question.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Contributors

I noticed the OP has an '08 535xi which means an N54 engine. Some experts over on BOBISTHEOILGUY forum are reporting that oil analysis from N54 engines are showing even the recommended BMW oils are not holding up even half the 15,000 mile interval. The direct inject fuel systems, tuned to meet US emissions standards are resulting in levels of fuel dilution of the oil that can cause abnormal engine wear.

Since I have a 535i with the N54 engine, I will be doing initial oil changes at half the recommended intervals and having oil analysis performed to determine what the real OCI should be based on the oils I use and my driving style.

For those interested on the discussion: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbth...1162#Post981162

I believe the N54 is a new enough engine without the long term reliability record behind it... So I will judge my oil changes based on analysis rather than BMW recommendations - which go against all my sensibilities. If analysis proves BMW right, so be it.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jes0331' post='679144' date='Sep 26 2008, 01:52 PM
I noticed the OP has an '08 535xi which means an N54 engine. Some experts over on BOBISTHEOILGUY forum are reporting that oil analysis from N54 engines are showing even the recommended BMW oils are not holding up even half the 15,000 mile interval. The direct inject fuel systems, tuned to meet US emissions standards are resulting in levels of fuel dilution of the oil that can cause abnormal engine wear.

Since I have a 535i with the N54 engine, I will be doing initial oil changes at half the recommended intervals and having oil analysis performed to determine what the real OCI should be based on the oils I use and my driving style.

For those interested on the discussion: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbth...1162#Post981162

I believe the N54 is a new enough engine without the long term reliability record behind it... So I will judge my oil changes based on analysis rather than BMW recommendations - which go against all my sensibilities. If analysis proves BMW right, so be it.

Good find.

I think its crazy that BMW is pushing oil limits as far as they are. I think there walking a fine line on it. I don't think anyone would bitch if they just said at 10K you need an oil change.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='679253' date='Sep 26 2008, 09:43 PM
Good find.

I think its crazy that BMW is pushing oil limits as far as they are. I think there walking a fine line on it. I don't think anyone would bitch if they just said at 10K you need an oil change.

They arent pushed to their limits though. Mineral oils 25 years ago were doing 6k mile oil changes as the norm, then 15 yrs ago semis were doing 10k between changes and now fully synths in engines are doing up to 20k. Think how much engine technology has come along since those engines 25 yrs ago and oil has moved on just as quick. My old 1981 audi did over 200k on mineral oil with 6k oil changes and the engine was still good when i got rid of it. Alot of people are worried about the state of the oil and condition of the engine but generally engines have outlived the bodies they have been fitted to for well over 30 yrs.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='679360' date='Sep 26 2008, 06:51 PM
They arent pushed to their limits though. Mineral oils 25 years ago were doing 6k mile oil changes as the norm, then 15 yrs ago semis were doing 10k between changes and now fully synths in engines are doing up to 20k. Think how much engine technology has come along since those engines 25 yrs ago and oil has moved on just as quick. My old 1981 audi did over 200k on mineral oil with 6k oil changes and the engine was still good when i got rid of it. Alot of people are worried about the state of the oil and condition of the engine but generally engines have outlived the bodies they have been fitted to for well over 30 yrs.
Reading through some of the test on that site it shows just how quick oil begins to break down on some levels. Amazing thing is how different it is from engine to engine. Never thought it would be that wide spread when comparing simple passenger cars. Alot of good third party info. on that site. According to the test done on that website there pretty much saying any oil in any car that has run a good 10K is broking down pretty badly (many well before that).

For me I do it at 10K. For the $50 to $60 it cost and a half hour to 45 min. of my time once every 8 months or so is well worth it to me. I figure worse case it isn't going to hurt. Which is alot better then the flip side of it.