E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil on the bottom of the intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 12:09 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i
Default Oil on the bottom of the intake manifold

Sorry if this sound like a very stupid question, can anyone tell me if it's normal for the bottom of the intake manifold to have motor oil?

When I took the intake manifold off the engine, I remember oil pouring out of the throttle bottle assembly. I did disconnected the throttle body assembly, cleaned it and dried it up real well. BUT, I did not clean the inside of the BOTTOM of the throttle body because I thought it was normal.

I wonder if this is the reason why my car is running so rough and misfiring after I uninstalled and installed the intake manifold when I had to replace the starter???

Should I put a microfiber towel inside the intake manifold to dry it up?

Thanks for reading! This misfiring of my car engine is driving me NUT! And it's so hard to find a mechanic to fix it right away during the holiday. So frustrating!!!
Old 11-30-2013, 12:31 AM
Members
Senior Members

OMG!!! I found this thread: E60 N52 Engine Oil separator and other issues - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

I hope I don't have oil in my intake manifold! I know I connected everything properly because I took everything about at least four damn times!

I really don't want to resort to getting raped by the Stealership.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:20 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

sounds like classic symptoms of a clogged CCV valve. Funny, I just bumped an old thread regarding CCV failure/replacement. Sorry if I jinxed it for you.

Oil should not be 'pouring' out of your throttle body.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:27 AM
Members
Senior Members

Hey Kyle or anyone, :-)

For my sake, I hope the CCV is not clogged! The car ran smooth and strong prior to the starter problem. While I was in there (when replacing the starter), I also replaced new oil separator, two hoses and the vent line (all BMW OEM parts).

After I installed everything, the car engine cranked very strong; each time and every time. But, the engine seized to run. Therefore, I replaced a new MAF sensor (OEM by Centenial, VOD) and got that fixed.

Currently, the idle needle is fluctuating up and down within the 1.5 millimeter range at 600 RPM. It was like that prior to the starter problem and all the aforementioned parts replaced. Thus, that didn't affect my engine to run rough like it is now.

Anyways, I can feel the car abnormally shakes when I shift into R (reverse) or D (drive). The car is noticeable lacking acceleration speed! Unless it's just my imagination, it feels like I am running on only 5 cylinders; and engine appears to feel hotter than when everything worked normally (prior to the starter problem).

SES keeps telling me cylinder #4 is misfiring. And it stays that way after I switched spark plugs and coils with other cylinders.

I am convinced fuel injector #4 coincidentally goes back. Thus far, I have already spent over $600 on parts. I hate to spend another $130 for a new fuel injector and ended up taking my car to the BMW Dealership for more guessing work.

Based on what I am telling you, what do you think my problem is?

I will swap the injectors today and go from there...

All inputs are welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Last edited by E60I; 12-01-2013 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Contributors

My buddy and i are having the exact same problem, an indy shop wanted to attack the oil filter housing gasket first, clean up the oil leak & spill. Then figure out where its coming from. I feel we should just replace all hoses & parts attached to the oil seperator & crank case ventilator just to be sure. Its costing us an arm & a leg for the labor on the oil filter housing gasket. ��

Last edited by code37; 12-17-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Members
Senior Members

What is the year, make and model of your car? If it's a 2006 530i, I can now do the oil separator and the three hoses with blind fold on. How and why? Because I literally took the intake manifold and throttle body assembly apart at least four times within two FRUSTRATING weeks (during Thanksgiving)! lol

The oil filter housing gasket was easy to do on my car. Just curious, how much did they charge you for labor?

As for my problem, the lack of power and shaky problem is 99% gone. The culprits were the faulty oil filler cap, one bad injector and over filled of motor oil. How did I overfilled? The I-Drive did not give me an accurate reading. I hope I don't have to replace the sensor for that!

I love my car now. :-)

In retrospect, I very grateful to have PCY, Zgilbert , Bimmerfan52 and a few others on my side!!! Thanks, guys!!!

I am not too far from where you're at, let me know if you need help.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by code37
My buddy and i are having the exact same problem, an indy shop wanted to attack the oil filter housing gasket first, clean up the oil leak & spill. Then figure out where its coming from. I feel we should just replace all hoses & parts attached to the oil seperator & crank case ventilator just to be sure. Its costing us an arm & a leg for the labor on the oil filter housing gasket. ��

Last edited by E60I; 12-17-2013 at 05:44 PM.