E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil—BMW, Mobil 1 or Castrol…does it matter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 07:17 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

So I?m going to do an oil change on the car tomorrow at my neighbors house (full hydraulic lift, oil containers for dirty oil, air tools etc?in his garage?he has a bad racing habit!)?I?m obviously going to use a synthetic and for me it?ll be 5/30. In terms of type does it matter?I typically use Mobil 1 (or Royal Purple) in my cars, however my oil cap on the E60 says ?use Castrol? and the manual and dealer say use our ?special? BMW oil.

At this moment I?m inclined to go with the Mobil 1?what do you think?
Old 08-19-2004, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ch7656' date='Aug 19 2004, 09:17 AM
So I’m going to do an oil change on the car tomorrow at my neighbors house (full hydraulic lift, oil containers for dirty oil, air tools etc…in his garage…he has a bad racing habit!)…I’m obviously going to use a synthetic and for me it’ll be 5/30. In terms of type does it matter…I typically use Mobil 1 (or Royal Purple) in my cars, however my oil cap on the E60 says “use Castrol” and the manual and dealer say use our “special” BMW oil.

At this moment I’m inclined to go with the Mobil 1…what do you think?
I think BMW has some exclusive deal with Castrol.. and i've heard that it is the filters that supposedly allow them to run the oil in there for the approx 15K miles that they do..and that ALL synthetics can do that......

I'm assuming this oil change is in addition to your regularly scheduled ones from the dealer in which case i'd just make sure that if u're changint the filter to get the OEM ones... u dont want to get one that's gonna break up into your engine...............
Old 08-19-2004, 07:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

Yes...I'm doing the changes every 5k...and I just hit that mark (for the first time). Picked up the filter (and washers etc..) from the dealer
Old 08-19-2004, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

well.. i dun forsee any type of problems if you know what you're doing seems to me your engine will be happier for it as you're going to be running cleaner oil through her.....lolz..

Old 08-19-2004, 07:52 AM
Members

USE THE EXACT OIL TIPE BMW USES!!!!!!

Do not change the oil type in any case! Even if you use Castrol but not the same type (GTX instead of TX for example) will cause a reaction between the two type of oil. And this does no good to the engine!

I once did it in a Mercedes e320 and wasn't funny at all!
Old 08-19-2004, 07:59 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by ch7656' date='Aug 19 2004, 10:17 AM
So I?m going to do an oil change on the car tomorrow at my neighbors house (full hydraulic lift, oil containers for dirty oil, air tools etc?in his garage?he has a bad racing habit!)?I?m obviously going to use a synthetic and for me it?ll be 5/30. In terms of type does it matter?I typically use Mobil 1 (or Royal Purple) in my cars, however my oil cap on the E60 says ?use Castrol? and the manual and dealer say use our ?special? BMW oil.

At this moment I?m inclined to go with the Mobil 1?what do you think?
I would use Mobil synthetic wo much reservation. Castrol is allegedly the BMW oil. This article is an excellent testimony to the worthiness of Mobil oil. After reading this article, I have no qualms running synthetic oil 15-20,000 miles. Matter of fact, there appears to more exposure for the engine with more frequent changes.

Mobile Oil Test
Old 08-19-2004, 08:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Strange thing is my dealer uses shell helix for the car.. He told me it doesn't matter wich oil is in the car..
Old 08-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Aug 19 2004, 10:01 AM
Strange thing is my dealer uses shell helix for the car.. He told me it doesn't matter wich oil is in the car..
Is he for real?????

So put some cooking oil in the car.. It's oil.. right?
Old 08-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Radu530d' date='Aug 19 2004, 09:52 AM
USE THE EXACT OIL TIPE BMW USES!!!!!!

Do not change the oil type in any case! Even if you use Castrol but not the same type (GTX instead of TX for example) will cause a reaction between the two type of oil. And this does no good to the engine!

I once did it in a Mercedes e320 and wasn't funny at all!
I would agree. I've read some articles where damage can be done by mixing different types of synthetics. You're probably OK with Mobil 1, but why take the chance? Just use the OEM BMW oil and filters.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:15 PM
JDN
Contributors

I would use Castrol which you can buy at Walmart for about $4/quart. That way you are using the same oil as the BMW oil according to the fellows in the Lone Star BMWCCA. Do one filter change in between and change oil by the OBC record.

Quick Reply: Oil—BMW, Mobil 1 or Castrol…does it matter?