E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

OFFICIAL NEW FACELIFT ON 5 SERIES!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 01:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='375626' date='Jan 9 2007, 10:00 AM
Do you think the alleged 'sports automatic transmission' shifter looks nicer with the new dash and controls?
It's not an everyday angle but IMHO from that angle the selection lever doesn't blend in any kind of way or complement the lines of the rest of the layout.

Looking at it again, it looks like a cellphone on charge.

ABC
Old 01-09-2007, 01:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='375626' date='Jan 9 2007, 06:00 PM
I see what you mean (although it doesn't bother me as much).
Do you think the alleged 'sports automatic transmission' shifter looks nicer with the new dash and controls?
Yes as ABC suggested it doesn't blend in.

If they would redesign the dash, the new shifter would fit in I think. They should probably wait till the F10 comes out before putting that shifter in as by then the dash would probably be redesign.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:10 AM
Members

Shoot! I just ordered mine... maybe i can ask for the new one instead? Delivery is planned early march by my dealer.. What do you think?

Nojul
French E60er
Old 01-09-2007, 02:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nojul' post='375636' date='Jan 9 2007, 11:10 AM
Shoot! I just ordered mine... maybe i can ask for the new one instead? Delivery is planned early march by my dealer.. What do you think?
If you're buying then resale value will be affected. If you're leasing then maybe you want to be driving your e60 ASAP.

ABC
Old 01-09-2007, 04:09 AM
Senior Members

It looks to me that they changed the door panels to something more similar to the E90 door panels. I am not sure at all that I like this, as the design of the original E60 door panels looks much better than the one on the E90.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='375662' date='Jan 9 2007, 01:09 PM
It looks to me that they changed the door panels to something more similar to the E90 door panels. I am not sure at all that I like this, as the design of the original E60 door panels looks much better than the one on the E90.

Well I love the new door panels (but I have an e90 currently)
I quite dislike the older door panels both for the aesthetics and ergonomics...
And I bet there are many others like me who were waiting for the facelift to fix/improve the things they didn't like much.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:40 AM
Senior Members

Can you detail on egonomics? As for the aesthetics, to each his own. I surely do not like the rounded speaker covers and surely dont like that the left and right panels are not symetric.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='375675' date='Jan 9 2007, 01:40 PM
Can you detail on egonomics?
Yes...
ergo issues with the old E60...
- the window controls etc. are in very unergonomic locations on both doors (the most disturbing ergo issue)
- the grab handles feel flimsy with some sharp edges and are not really curved to the shape of the hand
- the wood on the door grab handle is likely to get scratched
- the door pockets are way too small/short

All of these shortcoming seem to have been addressed in the facelift.

We'll never agree on the aesthetics so let's not even get into that.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='375696' date='Jan 9 2007, 02:50 PM
Yes...
ergo issues with the old E60...
- the window controls etc. are in very unergonomic locations on both doors (the most disturbing ergo issue)
- the grab handles feel flimsy with some sharp edges and are not really curved to the shape of the hand
- the wood on the door grab handle is likely to get scratched
- the door pockets are way too small/short

All of these shortcoming seem to have been addressed in the facelift.

We'll never agree on the aesthetics so let's not even get into that.
Will we agree on ergonomics?

Never had a problem with the window controls BUT I've never tried them "elsewhere".

The grab handle flimsy? Maybe they've re-engineered them or something e60'e gran handles are built like tanks.

Wood LIKELY to get scratched? Well maybe I'm just lucky that the likelihood hasn't happened yet. Is that REALLY wood? People keep trying to persuade me it is.

Ahhh the door pockets are a miserable size.

One out of four ain't bad.

ABC
Old 01-09-2007, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='375626' date='Jan 9 2007, 05:00 AM
I see what you mean (although it doesn't bother me as much).
Okay, so it's clear that I'm way behind in terms of reading the post about what's going on with the facelift, etc. so I have to ask...

Is the pic Raighne posted showing the "sports automatic transmission" possibly a pic of the SMG car instead?

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL NEW FACELIFT ON 5 SERIES!!!!!!!