E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The Official G-Meter Testing Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Originally Posted by Znod' post='243259' date='Feb 20 2006, 03:13 PM
You really did do it. Way to go!!!!! All three of your 1/8's are better than my original three 8.71's (uncorrected) and the same, of course, with your 0 to 60's. I am very confident in your forumula so I think your 1/4 mi predictions would be right on. Did you actually get to 100? I assume so since you do not imply otherwise.

I will try your method--first in DS I suppose. I doubt that I will improve my actual times anymore without colder weather. If the weather gets colder, then I probably will do what I have been doing or mix things up. I suspect that I will start adjusting for weather and altitude since I want my runs to be comparable. Otherwise, when summer arrives, there would be no point to testing in Phoenix at all.

And, again, congratulations on doing what no one, as far as we know, has done.

Oh, and did you see my post #165? And, if you can get approximate dew point and barometric pressure (i.e., altimeter setting), then please give them to me along with their units of measure.
I just now read #165.Great Zman maybe if i give you the conditions for my tests you can correct my numbers.Or better yet I should not be so cheap and join smokemup myself.
I think it be a big benefit for yourself if you just concentrated on your starts without measuring for a while.You will know when you got it right,it feels different.First gear is unbelievable.You need no wheelspin and no apparant control interference.There is some control or I would spin wildly,but I think the contols overeact when you mash the throttle rather than push it slowly.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Originally Posted by Bokke' post='243251' date='Feb 20 2006, 02:48 PM
Gman - great numbers!

You are so correct about applying the throttle.....I really struggle with this and I tend to mash it and then I get wheel spin an there goes the run.....although I do think it's a little harder with a manual, but once perfected I hope to get times similar to yours.....

Cheers,
Hi Bokke.Keep working on it.I would keep the controls on and rev to only 800 to 900 rpm,release the clutch slowly,don't let it out suddenly ,then slowly to full throttle.I would practice this method without timing until you feel you have the best start.I haven't driven a manual for a while so you may have to experiment with the rpm's until you get it right.I found no wheelspin gives me the best times.I suspect you will find the same in due time.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='243360' date='Feb 20 2006, 05:24 PM
I just now read #165.Great Zman maybe if i give you the conditions for my tests you can correct my numbers.Or better yet I should not be so cheap and join smokemup myself.
I think it be a big benefit for yourself if you just concentrated on your starts without measuring for a while.You will know when you got it right,it feels different.First gear is unbelievable.You need no wheelspin and no apparant control interference.There is some control or I would spin wildly,but I think the contols overeact when you mash the throttle rather than push it slowly.
I think I'll give controls on a try in the morn. First in DS and second in D. But, remember, wheel shin is not likely to be a problem for me. So, it is not clear that I have anything to gain. I remember that I tried one rrecent controls-on run and aborted it because it felt like my car had died.

And, yes, can you get me, for about the time you did your runs, approximate dew point and barometric pressure (i.e., altimeter setting)--along with their units of measure.? I'll convert both cars and do some of my infamous charts and graphs includig the Z51 Corvette I have used before. I am thinking it is time to encourage conversion to equivalent conditions.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='243430' date='Feb 20 2006, 07:59 PM
I think I'll give controls on a try in the morn. First in DS and second in D. But, remember, wheel shin is not likely to be a problem for me. So, it is not clear that I have anything to gain. I remember that I tried one rrecent controls-on run and aborted it because it felt like my car had died.

And, yes, can you get me, for about the time you did your runs, approximate dew point and barometric pressure (i.e., altimeter setting)--along with their units of measure.? I'll convert both cars and do some of my infamous charts and graphs includig the Z51 Corvette I have used before. I am thinking it is time to encourage conversion to equivalent conditions.
Try practicing your starts with controls on without timing your runs.Maybe I haven't stated what I feel correctly.I only stumbled on this method because of wheelspin problems in the cold,but the point I am trying to get across is that the car accelerates much harder with this method than it ever did,even in warmer weather when I had very little wheelspin.Even with very little wheelspin the car does not accelerate like it does with this new method.I think there is some controls still on even when I have DTC/DSC off so that when it detects wheelspin, power is reduced which hurts the first gear acceleration.For some reason with the controls on when you roll into the throttle slowly the acceleration is much harder in first gear.This is evidenced by my 60' times,before this method I never got below 2 secs,now I can get times in the low to mid 1.90's.

When I get into the throttle too fast I get the "my car died" feeling also.Z I know it sounds like i'm beating a dead horse but I just can't believe our cars are that much different that this method won't work for you.I think your getting hung up on the fact that your only getting minor wheelspin now.But what I'm trying to get across is that even the minor wheelspin causes controls to intrude.My best runs now are with Zero wheelspin and I believe even when the weather warms here and my traction improves my new method will still get the best times.Also I don't think it matters if you are in D or DS just that you keep the controls on.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Thanks g-man. I know what you are saying, and I am going to try. We'll see. I am going to start printing my hourly weather data each day just to see how things change and, of course to have any needed adustment data, for tests. I have not found archives yet, but here is the great weather info. I found for Phoenix. I hope that you can find something this good for your area.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

Originally Posted by Znod' post='243521' date='Feb 20 2006, 08:29 PM
Thanks g-man. I know what you are saying, and I am going to try. We'll see. I am going to start printing my hourly weather data each day just to see how things change and, of course to have any needed adustment data, for tests. I have not found archives yet, but here is the great weather info. I found for Phoenix. I hope that you can find something this good for your area.
I found the same weather statistics for several places in my area. Good stuff.

ZNOD, try this link for some additional stats in Phoenix Phoenix AZ weather stats
Old 02-21-2006, 05:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60VTA' post='243529' date='Feb 21 2006, 12:13 AM
I found the same weather statistics for several places in my area. Good stuff.

ZNOD, try this link for some additional stats in Phoenix Phoenix AZ weather stats
Wow, thanks ETA. I could hardly have hoped to find better data. Did you see that it goes back 7 days? That is far enough back for me as it encompasses the day of my best run as well as many of my recent runs. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Your search techniques are better than mine. Yipee.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Znod' post='243521' date='Feb 20 2006, 11:29 PM
I did 5 tests this morning. All were good with one being close to my best. On the best one, I went for zero wheel spin (no brake torquing, controls off, mashing the throttle slowly and steadily) which is what I was doing before 20.01.00. The result was quite good (13.686/103.24 unadjusted)--almost as good as my best. This run was impressive since it was my last run, and I think my car slows some after repeated runs. My second best was my first one (13.764/103.02 unadjusted). On this run, I used brake torquing (controls off), but had too much wheel spin. I wish I had used the starting techniques in reverse order. On the remaining runs, I used g-man's technique as I understand it (i.e., what I did on the first run, but with controls on). All three runs were good (13.7's and 13.8's), but none were as good as the other two. I am keeping an open mind and will try g-man's technique more times.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='243642' date='Feb 21 2006, 09:09 AM
Wow, thanks ETA. I could hardly have hoped to find better data. Did you see that it goes back 7 days? That is far enough back for me as it encompasses the day of my best run as well as many of my recent runs. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Your search techniques are better than mine. Yipee.
Great weather info you guys I found an airport less than 5 miles from my test site for weather data every 10 minutes.
Znod, plug this data into my super times from 2-20-06
barometer30.18
humidity 40%
temp 26 F
dew point 5 F
let me know what this does to my times.

I tried 2 starts today with my usual method except in DS.Both starts were equally as good as those in D.I think I can repeat my starts 9 out of 10 times now.I did not do timed runs only starts to test the DS mode.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='243779' date='Feb 21 2006, 03:21 PM
Great weather info you guys I found an airport less than 5 miles from my test site for weather data every 10 minutes.
Znod, plug this data into my super times from 2-20-06
barometer30.18
humidity 40%
temp 26 F
dew point 5 F
let me know what this does to my times.

I tried 2 starts today with my usual method except in DS.Both starts were equally as good as those in D.I think I can repeat my starts 9 out of 10 times now.I did not do timed runs only starts to test the DS mode.
Excellent, I'll post a comparo. I need only elevation (300 feet, right?), barometer, temp, and dew point.

Quick Reply: The Official G-Meter Testing Thread