E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

OEM BMW Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 06:22 AM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
After using Mobil 1 and Lubro Moly now for 25k miles or so, I think maybe I'll try a round of BMW oil next change and see if I notice any difference. I do have a lifter noise or something.....but I only notice it if I hold the rpms up around 4000 and then lightly punch the gas....full throttle or cruising I don't hear it. It's been doing that for so long, I can't remember if did it when the engine was under warranty and only got BMW oil, or if it started after I started using the others.
I'm still waiting for the BavAuto rep to hear back from Lubro Moly..............

Keith,

I'm waiting for confirmation from Lubro Moly but looking at some of their literature it appears that this whole LL04 vs. LL01 issue regarding this particular oil may be a completely moot point. The exact same part numbers for the oil were labeled as LL01 before the new LL04 standard was introduced. I'm thinking they probably re-tested it and it met the LL04 criteria so they simply changed the spec on the bottle. Lubro Moly is a primarily European company and it would certainly make sense for them to do this.

I had emailed him the link posted about not using LL04 oil in gas engines outside Europe.

Why do you bother with Lubro Moly at all? Is it cheaper? Mobil1/Castrol/BMW oils are widely available and meet the spec. Just use one of those and move on. Your engine will last more than you want.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Originally Posted by hmc
Why do you bother with Lubro Moly at all? Is it cheaper? Mobil1/Castrol/BMW oils are widely available and meet the spec. Just use one of those and move on. Your engine will last more than you want.
Lubro is priced the same as dealer oil, if not slightly cheaper, and is avail at NAPA stores.

I had read an article a year ago or so in the Bav Autos "Fast Times" newsletter. They were comparing Lubro to bmw oil. Thats why I decided to switch over.....

Here is the article......

http://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/20...newsletter.pdf
Old 06-30-2010, 08:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Lubro is priced the same as dealer oil, if not slightly cheaper, and is avail at NAPA stores.

I had read an article a year ago or so in the Bav Autos "Fast Times" newsletter. They were comparing Lubro to bmw oil. Thats why I decided to switch over.....

Here is the article......

http://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/20...newsletter.pdf
Thanks a lot for this article

I read it and realized that the fuel filter on E60 is mounted inside the fuel tank, which probably means a 4-figure job when that comes around
Old 07-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by sdg1871
That's correct. Here is BMW's list of recommended synthetic oils for non M cars: http://www.bmwusa.co...EngineOils.aspx

<P align=left>BMW Long-life rating LL-01 Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market:
  • Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30
  • Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40
  • Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30
  • Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30
When my engine needs a quart of oil, which happens every 4-5k miles, I usually put in the Mobil 1 0W-40 because it is, by car, the easiest one to find.
that's good to know
do any 1 know the spec for asia market
this spec is for us market
Old 07-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by turnbowm
According to the "experts" at BITOG, the BMW 5W-30 is hydro-cracked Grp III (dino), unlike Mobil 1 0W-40 and GC 0W-30 which are "true" synthetics.

When the warranty ran out on my '05 530i, I switched to Mobil 1 0W-40 and found that the engine was actually quieter than it was with BMW 5W-30.

Everyone needs to read the below to educate themselves on hydo-cracked oil which depending on which side of the fence you sit on may or may not be considered a true synthetic oil based on the fact that it is not considered to be 100% man made.

http://www.technilube.com/faqs_info/synth_diff.php
Old 07-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
More scientific than just making a blank statement without backing it up

Perhaps Castrol European Formula and BMW oil are the same - I don't know. I know that after I put in the BMW oil, the car runs better. In all fairness, the oil that was there before was Mobil 1, so it was not a "back to back" comparison.

Also, I have not received any blackstone labs analysis yet - just collected the first sample and am about to send it in.
"More scientific than just making a blank statement without backing it up"

You made a "blank" statement without backing it up......Are you a Jedi? "I know that after I put in the BMW oil, the car runs better"! When one reads that statement what exactly is supposed to jump out and convince that person to use BMW branded oil??
Old 07-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

So who sells the Mobil 1 0w40?
Old 07-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i (Silver-Gray, Gray Lthr., Anthracite Maple) with Steptronic, Prem. Pkg., Logic 7, Xenons & Chrome factory wheels.

So who sells the Mobil 1 0w40?
It's available at Pep Boys, but Wal-Mart has better prices.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by turnbowm
According to the "experts" at BITOG, the BMW 5W-30 is hydro-cracked Grp III (dino), unlike Mobil 1 0W-40 and GC 0W-30 which are "true" synthetics.

When the warranty ran out on my '05 530i, I switched to Mobil 1 0W-40 and found that the engine was actually quieter than it was with BMW 5W-30.

Actually the Category or Group III synthetics (hyrdo-cracked and refined) goes true for all Mobil 1 and Castrol synthetic oils. There was a lawsuit about this. I did research about this some time back. Group IV is what the European formulas are supposed to be, in that they are truly sythetic. In fact I found that Napa 5w30 Fully Syn was a synthetic consisting of Group III and Group IV and therefore better than the Mobil 1 and Castrol oils.

However, as true as that may be, I have decided that the BMW LL is the way to go due to the price. The $5.85 I pay is well worth it compared to paying more for the other oils. In fact, I've noticed the engine is quieter and the viscosity of their "5w30" is thicker than that of Mobil 1 and Castrol. I noticed this on first pour. 7 quarts @ $5.85, 1 Mann OEM filter @ $6.00 ~ $48. I'll change every 8-10K miles

So $100 twice a year fits in my check balancer.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by refaie1
Actually the Category or Group III synthetics (hyrdo-cracked and refined) goes true for all Mobil 1 and Castrol synthetic oils. There was a lawsuit about this. I did research about this some time back. Group IV is what the European formulas are supposed to be, in that they are truly sythetic. In fact I found that Napa 5w30 Fully Syn was a synthetic consisting of Group III and Group IV and therefore better than the Mobil 1 and Castrol oils.

However, as true as that may be, I have decided that the BMW LL is the way to go due to the price. The $5.85 I pay is well worth it compared to paying more for the other oils. In fact, I've noticed the engine is quieter and the viscosity of their "5w30" is thicker than that of Mobil 1 and Castrol. I noticed this on first pour. 7 quarts @ $5.85, 1 Mann OEM filter @ $6.00 ~ $48. I'll change every 8-10K miles

So $100 twice a year fits in my check balancer.
this sounds good I may try the BMW stuff too

Quick Reply: OEM BMW Oil