E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

OEM BMW Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 03:36 PM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
What...why?
Bavauto sold me Lubro Moly for my 550.....and it says on Lubro Moly's site "suitable for gasoline and diesel engines" and it's a LL-04 oil
Because BMW said so (LL-04 oil can only be used in Europe due to fuel quality reasons).
Old 06-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Originally Posted by hmc
Because BMW said so (LL-04 oil can only be used in Europe due to fuel quality reasons).
So what issues will I have using LL-04? I'm on my 3rd oil change with Lubro Molly 5w30 LL-04, changed every 5000-6000 miles.....so about 14k miles total at this point
Old 06-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Muchisgiven
Hey I noticed that when I check my oil level in the idrive it is in between min and max...should I drop a quart in there to keep it at max...I had an oil change about 3 mos. ago....

Unless the iDrive is showing your oil at the minimum oil level and recommending you add oil, I would not add a full quart as you may overfill it which will cause it own error message.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by hmc

IMO if you're using top tier fuel, quality is a non-issue! And the "BMW says so" answer can be summed up as follows...........BMW recomends the oil and filter be changed every 15K CBS or 1-year. BMW also says transmission fluid and differential fluid is liftime fill. We all know everybody disputes these recommendation so lets agree to disagree with the LL-01 V. LL-04 recommendation. I'll be the guinea pig and use Lubro-Molly while resting comfortably at night!
Old 06-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
So what issues will I have using LL-04? I'm on my 3rd oil change with Lubro Molly 5w30 LL-04, changed every 5000-6000 miles.....so about 14k miles total at this point
Issues with a 5-6K OCI......NONE!
Old 06-19-2010, 10:15 PM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

Originally Posted by JerseyGeorge
IMO if you're using top tier fuel, quality is a non-issue! And the "BMW says so" answer can be summed up as follows...........BMW recomends the oil and filter be changed every 15K CBS or 1-year. BMW also says transmission fluid and differential fluid is liftime fill. We all know everybody disputes these recommendation so lets agree to disagree with the LL-01 V. LL-04 recommendation. I'll be the guinea pig and use Lubro-Molly while resting comfortably at night!
It's nothing to do with top-tier of not (e.g. level of detergent). It's something to do with Ethanol I believe...
It's your car and your money, you can do whatever you want of course...
Old 06-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Originally Posted by hmc
It's nothing to do with top-tier of not (e.g. level of detergent). It's something to do with Ethanol I believe...
I emailed Bavauto this morning, and quickly got a response. Here is the email I received from Ken Brown in regards to LL-04 Lubro Moly........

" Keith,

Thank you for your inquiry.

The Lubro Moly is perfectly safe for your car. The exact same engine in Europe uses the LL04 and we have been selling thousands of liters of it a year for the past few years as well as running it in our own vehicles. I believe the BMW US recommendation is based more on the fact that Castrol (the US oil suppler for BMW) doesn't have an LL04 oil available yet. LL04 is used everywhere else in world in the exact same engines.

The ethanol has nothing to do with it. If that were the case BMW wouldn't use it in South America, where ethanol blends are far higher content than they are here in some areas. When BMW USA needed an oil for the new diesels in the US market they made up a new formula and it's LL04. But of course diesel specific. I'm sure as soon as BMW's contract with Castrol for the 5W30 runs out for they will up the spec to LL04 here also."
Old 06-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Good info.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by hmc

"You believe" So you really don't know but your positive LL-04 isn't ok
Old 06-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by Muchisgiven
Hey I noticed that when I check my oil level in the idrive it is in between min and max...should I drop a quart in there to keep it at max...I had an oil change about 3 mos. ago....

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Unless the iDrive is showing your oil at the minimum oil level and recommending you add oil, I would not add a full quart as you may overfill it which will cause it own error message.
I'd add a little bit, especially if you are beginning to hear lifters knock.

Also, I wanted to say that the oil level sensor is known to occasionally go bad as well (which sucks at rought 200 bucks + labor a piece, BTW). There are several threads about it on this forum, so if your oil level is showing some off the wall stuff, don't count the level sensor out

Quick Reply: OEM BMW Oil