E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Obvious features missing from the E60

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 03:57 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An auto-close trunk lid button.

The E60 trunk lid is a tough one to close and, usually, your arms are full of goods ... which means you have to set everything down while you wrestle the lid closed.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='505439' date='Dec 11 2007, 06:57 AM
An auto-close trunk lid button.

The E60 trunk lid is a tough one to close and, usually, your arms are full of goods ... which means you have to set everything down while you wrestle the lid closed.
+1 to this -- the trunk on my 750il was much nicer than that on my e60. The 750 trunk lid closes much better and has an 'auto complete' close, which is very nice. I do like how the e60 trunk opens -- although it's a little too fast -- it feels 'cheap' because of this fact...
Old 12-21-2007, 06:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Auto, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Sport and Premium Packages, HUD

How about a visor that can extend out to the full width of the door window? My Acuras did that. I miss it, especially considering my commute is due south in the AM, due north in the PM. It never fails the sun is just beyond the end of the visor, in that last 4-5 inches of window it doesn't cover.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:46 AM
Members

My Ride: Black/Black 2004 530i w/ Premium & Sport Pkgs.

Originally Posted by schwim' post='509147' date='Dec 21 2007, 09:10 AM
How about a visor that can extend out to the full width of the door window? My Acuras did that. I miss it, especially considering my commute is due south in the AM, due north in the PM. It never fails the sun is just beyond the end of the visor, in that last 4-5 inches of window it doesn't cover.
+1 on that!
Old 01-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ipp' post='497793' date='Nov 22 2007, 12:54 PM
Mine does that, at the same time as it loosens up the seat's side bolsters.
I dont have this feature on my car. is this an option or standard in usa? is it something to do with bmw perception of americans being fat?
Old 01-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 M5 Saphire - All available options 2006 530i Mystic Blue - All available options for 06 2004 Ford Expedition - Boat hauler.

Originally Posted by 525d MSport' post='497863' date='Nov 22 2007, 12:59 PM
I would like an engine temperature gauge. I like to treat the engine gently when cold so I would find this useful.

regards,
Your E60 does have a temp gauge, it's the lines on the tach when you first start it up I believe it shows like 6-7 and as the car warms up it goes down to 2-3.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BMDiesel' post='498411' date='Nov 24 2007, 04:56 AM
- real time tyre pressure measurement and display
- real time fuel consumption (not just over the distance since last reset)
- pre-heating (standheizung) in limited form (electric) so that you push a button like 5-10 mins before you take off and heating starts with hot air immediately instead of this cold storm for a few minutes to de-fog the windscreen
- red LED's and/or with dimming function in climate control buttons/headlights auto position. I find this green spots very annoying at night while all other lighting is nicely dimmed red
- real fluid levels measurement and display, when the light goes on, it's very late. better to have actual figures at startup.
- more - and acceleration proof - places to put stuff like sunglasses (more than one), bottles, access cards, coins etc
- real display off function not just lighted black screen
- black-cockpit (only speed lighted, all else off untill you move near the dash)
- auto wipers always on
- clear info on the software status/versions etc. It's almost like 10 years ago in software land where the coders were not giving any info and behaved like they owned you (and your company). Talk about upgrades was considered a proof of a bad product initially delivered but today it's normal to talk about updates and what it helps to do. Thanks to m'soft nobody expects flawless software products.
- smooth drive button on the automatic: the balance between a limo cruiser and the sports possibilites of this car is too difficult to put into one set up. We're all used to electronics in control so why not add this choice in a button or a dial. One dial for gearshifting, one for ride (if active suspension is mounted). a bit like in the M5 I suppose but that's between 'animal' and ' beast' . I'd rather have 'just me on board' and ' with passengers'.
- adjustable PDC: I find the red zone way too far off so I still have to guess
- lower price
- auto brake or real stop in 'D' or a traffic jam mode: foot of the gas = full stop.
- manual adjustment of center airflow. This going through the menu's to adjust this is stupid. just a gimmick to make the i-drive seem better than nicely designed buttons
- cruise control stick combined with indicator or on steering wheel (instead of voice command (stupid invention too early implemented and pretty stupid if you don't drive alone)
- flick key thing that protects the buttons from accidentally opening trunk or car
- magic button that makes cars in front dissappear
One point on the auto wipers always staying on. I had that feature on my Lexus and left it on by accident when I took the car to a car wash. Needless to say that the wipers were toast. I'm glad for the "safety provision of having to turn them on.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535xi

Originally Posted by FiveThirtyI' post='515379' date='Jan 9 2008, 12:14 AM
Your E60 does have a temp gauge, it's the lines on the tach when you first start it up I believe it shows like 6-7 and as the car warms up it goes down to 2-3.

LCI cars dont have this though...
Old 01-09-2008, 05:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I don't have the time to comb through this so sorry if this is a repeat of a past suggestion - haven't been following from the beginning.

My vote is for a heated shift knob!!! I drive a manual, and it's crazy that my steering wheel is heated, but I have to freeze every time I shift that metal knob.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Sorry to be such a noob on this, but a question (probably a FAQ but couldn't find it) has been driving me nuts. Just what does "LCI" stand for and when did it occur? I gather it refers to an exterior updating of the E60 a couple years ago, but don't really know. If there's a thread that discussed this just link me to it and that'll be enough here.

Sorry,

Cal

Quick Reply: Obvious features missing from the E60