E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Obvious features missing from the E60

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

With the GPS I think they could rig it to set my E60 clock to accurate time.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

I think it already has some of what you want
Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='498144' date='Nov 23 2007, 11:16 AM
1. Lights that come on when set to Auto AND the wipers are active.

2. Something the E39 had -- the ability to close windows and sunroof even after the car has been turned off (but a door hasn't been opened).

3. Telematics on the NAV (weather, traffic, etc.)

4. A clock that is automatically set by either the NAV or the onboard cell.

5. If BMW is moving to non-dipstick engines then there should be more information available inside the vehicle other than Oil level, how about coolant level, washer fluid level? Or just give us back the dipstick.

6. A better UI (but keep the tactile feedback on the iDrive control knob)

7. Not a missing feature but one that should stay out is touch screen NAVs. They're too hard to use while driving since they lack tactile feedback. But more buttons are good (to a point). Maybe explore tactile feedback?

8. ANR. Some form of noise reduction in the audio system would be nice.

9. A quiet sunroof when the shade is open.
2. I think works. It does depend on your sequence to shut off the car. Or you can touch and hold the door to lock and it will put up the windows.
3. Real Time Traffic on '07 and up works great.
5. There are check control warnings for low coolant and washer. <- I assume this, my '06 650i did.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='498324' date='Nov 23 2007, 09:01 PM
I think it already has some of what you want

2. I think works. It does depend on your sequence to shut off the car. Or you can touch and hold the door to lock and it will put up the windows.
3. Real Time Traffic on '07 and up works great.
5. There are check control warnings for low coolant and washer. <- I assume this, my '06 650i did.
2. Can you explain? On the E39 you could hit any of the window buttons (including sunroof) after turning off the car and the windows will still close as long as you don't open a door. This also works if you hit the button to close the window then turn off the car while the window is closing. On the E60 the windows stop functioning when the car is turned off unless you use the key in the door lock.

3. I know RTTI is on the 2007's and up but this could be expanded to include more information such as weather (live weather map)

5. Check control (aka idiot light) is there but there is no indication of level like you have with the oil. It would be nice to know you were low on coolant before the idiot light tells you. Or is there something else that I may be missing that gives you this information without going under the hood?
Old 11-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Cadillac XLR // Silver with Black Interior 2002 Lincoln LS // Silver with Grey Interior [En Route] 2008 Black Sapphire Metallic 535xi // Black Nasca Leather // 18" Star Spoke Wheels // Sport, Premium & Cold Pkg // Bamboo Anthracite Trim & Headliner // Comfort Access // Head-up Display // Navigation // Logic 7 // HD Radio // Ipod // Sunshades

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='498326' date='Nov 23 2007, 09:10 PM
2. Can you explain? On the E39 you could hit any of the window buttons (including sunroof) after turning off the car and the windows will still close as long as you don't open a door. This also works if you hit the button to close the window then turn off the car while the window is closing. On the E60 the windows stop functioning when the car is turned off unless you use the key in the door lock.
I thought most cars made in the past 5 years or so gave you auxiliary power after you turn off the engine until the door is opened? I can't remember being in a car that didn't have this feature. I hope my BMW has it when it arrives
Old 11-23-2007, 05:56 PM
DBU
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='498326' date='Nov 23 2007, 06:10 PM
You should be able to close the windows for up to five minutes after the engine is turned off, but before you open a door. But, for some strange reason, that is NOT the case with the sunroof. It dies when you kill the engine. If your windows won't move with the engine off and before you open a door, it is dealer time, I think.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, Platinum Gray, Sport Pkg

Originally Posted by jelski' post='497856' date='Nov 22 2007, 12:27 PM
my steering doesnt move either unless i do it myself. i think it is only in the newer models???? does anyone know how muchit cost to install a memory seat in my car gettings nuts wheni take the car after my wife used it.

My '08 535i's steering wheel only rises out of the way when the motor is off. Having it it rise when the motor is on and the door open would be a handy thing. I'm 6'4 and can't easily slide out without the wheel being up.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

one thing that should be included with the sport package is a limited slip differential.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='498354' date='Nov 24 2007, 12:13 AM
one thing that should be included with the sport package is a limited slip differential.
+1
Old 11-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Members

More storage compartments. With the phone cradle - that I wager most people dont use - taking up most of the space in the center console and shallow door pockets, it would be nice to have a place to put a few small items.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

- real time tyre pressure measurement and display
- real time fuel consumption (not just over the distance since last reset)
- pre-heating (standheizung) in limited form (electric) so that you push a button like 5-10 mins before you take off and heating starts with hot air immediately instead of this cold storm for a few minutes to de-fog the windscreen
- red LED's and/or with dimming function in climate control buttons/headlights auto position. I find this green spots very annoying at night while all other lighting is nicely dimmed red
- real fluid levels measurement and display, when the light goes on, it's very late. better to have actual figures at startup.
- more - and acceleration proof - places to put stuff like sunglasses (more than one), bottles, access cards, coins etc
- real display off function not just lighted black screen
- black-cockpit (only speed lighted, all else off untill you move near the dash)
- auto wipers always on
- clear info on the software status/versions etc. It's almost like 10 years ago in software land where the coders were not giving any info and behaved like they owned you (and your company). Talk about upgrades was considered a proof of a bad product initially delivered but today it's normal to talk about updates and what it helps to do. Thanks to m'soft nobody expects flawless software products.
- smooth drive button on the automatic: the balance between a limo cruiser and the sports possibilites of this car is too difficult to put into one set up. We're all used to electronics in control so why not add this choice in a button or a dial. One dial for gearshifting, one for ride (if active suspension is mounted). a bit like in the M5 I suppose but that's between 'animal' and ' beast' . I'd rather have 'just me on board' and ' with passengers'.
- adjustable PDC: I find the red zone way too far off so I still have to guess
- lower price
- auto brake or real stop in 'D' or a traffic jam mode: foot of the gas = full stop.
- manual adjustment of center airflow. This going through the menu's to adjust this is stupid. just a gimmick to make the i-drive seem better than nicely designed buttons
- cruise control stick combined with indicator or on steering wheel (instead of voice command (stupid invention too early implemented and pretty stupid if you don't drive alone)
- flick key thing that protects the buttons from accidentally opening trunk or car
- magic button that makes cars in front dissappear

Quick Reply: Obvious features missing from the E60