E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

OBD II code reader

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 05:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i

Will a OBD II code reader from Oreily's or autozone work to get codes? Tried one yesterday and kept on getting fail connection attempts messages.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:49 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Any generic OBD-II code reader can connect and read generic codes, even on BMW. However, generic code readers can't read in to BMW specific codes.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by pcy
Any generic OBD-II code reader can connect and read generic codes, even on BMW. However, generic code readers can't read in to BMW specific codes.
+1 - All cars sold in the US beyond 1996 must be OBDII compliant (Im not sure if this holds true for EU cars). That shiny new Veyron or Ferrari should have the same subset of basic codes as that shiny new Toyota Yaris. I use an older Actron 9400 series pro scanner from Autozone a few years ago (provides PID maps and readiness information). Yours should work as well. Just make sure the ignition is on.

Get yourself a cable kit and software for more advanced information on your car. Go to www.bmwcoding.com.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
+1 - All cars sold in the US beyond 1996 must be OBDII compliant (Im not sure if this holds true for EU cars). That shiny new Veyron or Ferrari should have the same subset of basic codes as that shiny new Toyota Yaris. I use an older Actron 9400 series pro scanner from Autozone a few years ago (provides PID maps and readiness information). Yours should work as well. Just make sure the ignition is on.

Get yourself a cable kit and software for more advanced information on your car. Go to www.bmwcoding.com.
Thanks
Old 07-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by advancedlogic

You are aware that BMW did not go to OBD standard until mid year 2000 and 2001 right?
Even 1998-2000 have both BMW port and OBD ports but you have to use the BMW port because not all of the OBD were wired yet.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
You are aware that BMW did not go to OBD standard until mid year 2000 and 2001 right?
Even 1998-2000 have both BMW port and OBD ports but you have to use the BMW port because not all of the OBD were wired yet.
I gotta do more research, but OBD II complacancy was a federal requirement for all car manufactures selling vehicles in the USA MY 1996 and beyond. I do know early BMW had the round connectors under the hood. However, they had to report the same basic number and level of sensor points and formats all other manufactures were required to report. I do know the 20 pin round to obdii connectors exist and are used for programming and such. But, I can't find any exceptions granted by to BMW to skip the 1996 federal requirements

Thread on E39

OBD II

EPA cases against manufactures not adhering to their Letters of Conformity:
EPA Cases

The law:
Governing Law
Old 07-17-2012, 03:57 AM
Contributors

My head hurts lol. Too much legal mumbo jumbo.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

no need to research. half the stuff on the internet is garbage and a bunch of "EXPERTS" lol. Ever watch the news? There's an expert for everything.
Wikipedia is a bunch of biased bullshit too.
The best education is where you take in half which you test against certain criteria and then the rest which you nod, agree for the grade and then tell your kids not to believe them.
Here, directly from BMW.......
The E46 sedan was produced from 1999 - 2005. My 1999 and my brother's 2000 were both BMW port. And from the photo you see BMW or OBD. Because OBD was not fully instituted until 2001 in the E46. It may have existed on the car but wasn't wired that way. AND dealerships did not use OBD until they got rid of MoDIC and replaced it which I believe was in 2000. but this thread is about a code reader. So yes, you can pick up a code reader to look at codes but it will not give you any proprietary codes. ie not every car has a vanos or valvetronic etc etc so these will not be read. every car has a MAFS or O2 sensor etc...so these will.

OBD II code reader-bmw-obd.jpg
Old 07-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
no need to research. half the stuff on the internet is garbage and a bunch of "EXPERTS" lol. Ever watch the news? There's an expert for everything.
Wikipedia is a bunch of biased bullshit too.
The best education is where you take in half which you test against certain criteria and then the rest which you nod, agree for the grade and then tell your kids not to believe them.
Here, directly from BMW.......
The E46 sedan was produced from 1999 - 2005. My 1999 and my brother's 2000 were both BMW port. And from the photo you see BMW or OBD. Because OBD was not fully instituted until 2001 in the E46. It may have existed on the car but wasn't wired that way. AND dealerships did not use OBD until they got rid of MoDIC and replaced it which I believe was in 2000. but this thread is about a code reader. So yes, you can pick up a code reader to look at codes but it will not give you any proprietary codes. ie not every car has a vanos or valvetronic etc etc so these will not be read. every car has a MAFS or O2 sensor etc...so these will.

Actually those were from the US Government epa.gov federal site for the overview and legal cases, and Cornell Law for the code (their dtabase is much more user friendly than the US govs for legal searches). But I digress - somehow they apparently were able to bypass the law (written in 1990 with a 6 year implimentation plan). Of course any new car sold in the US from the E60 onward should be OBDII compliant.