E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

OBD Error code p1434???

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: AW E46 M3 Vert

i got a service engine soon light today and i-drive said increased emissions, i went to autozone to have the obd read. guy told me the code is p1434 and looked it up on his computer and the code came up for a Volkswagen on his computer which was weird but the definition it gave was secondary air injection pump realy circuit short to positive anyone know what i need to replace to fix this? the car is out of warranty.

thanks
Old 01-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

Weird... Use the search for different things related to "increased emissions" warnings... Heres a few things that can trigger it...

1. faulty or loose gas cap, or over flowing of gas.
2. faulty o2 sensors
3. faulty dmtl pump
4. faulty fuel pump
5. faulty/dirty mass air flow sensor
6. use of low octane gas
Old 01-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by e60_fanatic' post='773232
Weird... Use the search for different things related to "increased emissions" warnings... Heres a few things that can trigger it...

1. faulty or loose gas cap, or over flowing of gas.
2. faulty o2 sensors
3. faulty dmtl pump
4. faulty fuel pump
5. faulty/dirty mass air flow sensor
6. use of low octane gas
Did you check what TBal recommended to check-out?
Old 01-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Contributors

I just noticed you have a KN filter and Charcol removed... that could be part of your problem right there. Not so much the charcol, but those KN filters are SMUTHERED with OIL, Its usually good idea to lightly rinse and dry them.. From what I think, the OIL has gotten onto the MAF which is causing the message.

Do you have poor gas mileage? Rough idle? Poor acceleration? If any of those, my bets are on the MAF sensor.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tbal' post='773697' date='Jan 21 2009, 02:51 PM
I just noticed you have a KN filter and Charcol removed... that could be part of your problem right there. Not so much the charcol, but those KN filters are SMUTHERED with OIL, Its usually good idea to lightly rinse and dry them.. From what I think, the OIL has gotten onto the MAF which is causing the message.

Do you have poor gas mileage? Rough idle? Poor acceleration? If any of those, my bets are on the MAF sensor.
hmm...ive had the k&n filter for while now though and the problem recently started...gas mileage is 19.2 both city and hightway everyday...i think i did notice a slight decrease in acceleration and my car does sometimes idles rough upon start up so it sounds like you might be right.

so where is this MAF sensor located and do i need to replace it or just rinse the filter?

thanks for all your help
Old 01-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Contributors

Usually the problem starts to occur sometime after the install of these over oiled filters... The MAF, mass air flow sensor, is in the tube, that goes from the intake box, to the engine, you can see a plug going into the sensor. Im not 100% Sure if this is the problem, but sure does sound like it... Those sensors are fairly expensive, perhaps got the code read from bmw just to make sure its the issue.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Contributors

OBD Error code p1434???-251.png

MAF is #1
Old 01-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by e60_fanatic' post='773232' date='Jan 21 2009, 01:12 AM
i got a service engine soon light today and i-drive said increased emissions, i went to autozone to have the obd read. guy told me the code is p1434 and looked it up on his computer and the code came up for a Volkswagen on his computer which was weird but the definition it gave was secondary air injection pump realy circuit short to positive anyone know what i need to replace to fix this? the car is out of warranty.

thanks
i just got that msg in my i-drive today too....and enging pic in the display dash. I will take it in tomorrow or Monday to get it fixed. I'm really hoping it's just a simple sensor since i'm out of warranty too. 87k miles on my car.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tbal' post='773938' date='Jan 21 2009, 07:00 PM
Usually the problem starts to occur sometime after the install of these over oiled filters... The MAF, mass air flow sensor, is in the tube, that goes from the intake box, to the engine, you can see a plug going into the sensor. Im not 100% Sure if this is the problem, but sure does sound like it... Those sensors are fairly expensive, perhaps got the code read from bmw just to make sure its the issue.

so basically the MAF sensor i have now is messed up since the oil got into it, it cannot be fixed right? if i do replace the sensor will the k&n mess it up again? what can i do to prevent this from happening again? i though lots of people on here had the k&n, strange that only a few people are experiencing this.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MacoBMW4life' post='773951' date='Jan 21 2009, 07:06 PM
i just got that msg in my i-drive today too....and enging pic in the display dash. I will take it in tomorrow or Monday to get it fixed. I'm really hoping it's just a simple sensor since i'm out of warranty too. 87k miles on my car.
keep us updated man

Quick Reply: OBD Error code p1434???