E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Noob with a Canadian spec 525xi question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
Boneheaded noob question but I have been able to find my answer either here on the forum or the net in general, so here it goes...

When was the E60 525xi released in Canada? I know the E60 was released as a 2004 model year, but when I'm searching the used listings 2006 seems to be the earliest cars I'm finding.

Also wondering if any Canadian owners know what years the Canadian cars had the Tire Pressure Monitor System with the external sensors versus using the Traction Control to monitor wheel spin to differentiate tyre pressure? (aka I'd like to not be buying TMPS sensors every few years, I don't use run flats and I know how to measure tyre pressures).

In terms of Canadian options packages I believe they consisted of:
1: TECHNOLOGY PKG -inc: lane departure warning, BMW on-board navigation, voice control, Canada/US navigation DVD, head-up display (REQ: ZWE Premium Pkg) (ZWD)
2: PREMIUM PKG -inc: universal garage door opener, auto-dimming pwr folding exterior mirrors, auto-dimming rearview mirror, front comfort seats, heated rear seats, park distance control w/visual display, Logic7 sound system *Replaces sport seats when ordered w/ZWQ M Sport Pkg* (ZWE)
3: M SPORT PKG -inc: M aerodynamic pkg, M multi-function leather sport steering wheel, sport seats, anthracite roof liner, 18" x 8" M double spoke alloy wheels (style 135M), P245/40R18 run-flat performance tires, matte black shadow line exterior trim (w/U6__ Nasca Leather REQ: ZWK Premium Pkg) *Deletes compact spare tire* *Deletes heated steering wheel* (ZWQ)

Any other information / confirmation would be greatly appreciated, along with owners or as I'm thinking of buying a used one with ~135k km on it.

Thanks in advance for the help...

dave
Old 02-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by daveysew
Hi all,
Boneheaded noob question but I have been able to find my answer either here on the forum or the net in general, so here it goes...

When was the E60 525xi released in Canada? I know the E60 was released as a 2004 model year, but when I'm searching the used listings 2006 seems to be the earliest cars I'm finding.

Also wondering if any Canadian owners know what years the Canadian cars had the Tire Pressure Monitor System with the external sensors versus using the Traction Control to monitor wheel spin to differentiate tyre pressure? (aka I'd like to not be buying TMPS sensors every few years, I don't use run flats and I know how to measure tyre pressures).

In terms of Canadian options packages I believe they consisted of:
1: TECHNOLOGY PKG -inc: lane departure warning, BMW on-board navigation, voice control, Canada/US navigation DVD, head-up display (REQ: ZWE Premium Pkg) (ZWD)
2: PREMIUM PKG -inc: universal garage door opener, auto-dimming pwr folding exterior mirrors, auto-dimming rearview mirror, front comfort seats, heated rear seats, park distance control w/visual display, Logic7 sound system *Replaces sport seats when ordered w/ZWQ M Sport Pkg* (ZWE)
3: M SPORT PKG -inc: M aerodynamic pkg, M multi-function leather sport steering wheel, sport seats, anthracite roof liner, 18" x 8" M double spoke alloy wheels (style 135M), P245/40R18 run-flat performance tires, matte black shadow line exterior trim (w/U6__ Nasca Leather REQ: ZWK Premium Pkg) *Deletes compact spare tire* *Deletes heated steering wheel* (ZWQ)

Any other information / confirmation would be greatly appreciated, along with owners or as I'm thinking of buying a used one with ~135k km on it.

Thanks in advance for the help...

dave
You don't want earlier then 2006 because in 06 it switched to the N52 engine with more power. My car is a 2006 and I don't have the TPMS, I think that may be an LCI thing (late 07). My car was sold as an 06 but the build date is actually May 2005 but I can confirm I have the N52.

Even though it doesn't have tpms it still monitors air pressure based on the rotation of the wheel, the nice thing is there are no sensors if you replace the wheels you dont have to fork out extra $.

Do you have a link to the car your looking at?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

If you are looking specifically for a 525Xi vs a 525i then you are correct. BMW (like MB and others) often release one model then add to the range at later dates. I believe the Xi was added for MY 2006. There are Canadian cars in 2004 and 2005 but without X.
When I picked up my 2008 535i I was told that the 'on the rim' TPMSensors were only for that year only. If in doubt, the valve caps are large and have a brushed silver look to them.
Regarding Premium Package: I believe that for 2006 530's,it included both auto dim mirrors, Throughload, Rear heated seats, PDC and Logic 7. Universal Garage door opener was added in 2007 530s. Comfort seats were added in 2008 535 LCI cars(Throughload and Comfort Access became standard).
For 2006 525s the Premium package included leather, auto dim Interior mirror only and Throughload. It was the same for 2007 525s.
Major changes were made in 2008 528s.
As can be seen, packages are often different from model to model and year to year so verify whats included.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Members

Thanks for the info gent's, I'm going to look at the car on Tuesday (sorry no dealer link) and will report back then,

dave