E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

For Non U.S. members: 5 sport vs. 5 M sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 08:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Can anyone comment on the handling and ride differences between the regular sport package and the M sport package (which isn't sold in the U.S.)? I imagine the M sport car feels lighter and more nimble, but with a tad harsher ride quality.

Has anyone compared the two first hand?

DRP
Old 11-21-2006, 09:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Are there two differant Sport packages for the E60?
Old 11-21-2006, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='358893' date='Nov 21 2006, 06:30 PM
Are there two differant Sport packages for the E60?
No M Sport in US just the body kit AFAIK.

ABC
Old 11-21-2006, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

AFAIK

there is only the Msport, no 'sport' model alone

the Msport kit is (in my view) just a bit of froth. ?3k+ doesnt seem to add much - Different wheels, bolt on bits of bodywork, the odd trim, alu strip on the dash, lowered susp. Same performance figures.

If you want those things, or its a company car and they have given you the budget, then way to go. But not with my money...

http://www.bmw.co.uk

will show you

cheers

steve
Old 11-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by steve_gus' post='358904' date='Nov 21 2006, 07:13 PM
AFAIK

there is only the Msport, no 'sport' model alone
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=bmw+%22550i+sport%22&btnG=Search&meta=
ABC
Old 11-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

(LONG) I was wondering the same thing. Is the M sport package purely asthetics? So I looked up the car on www.realoem.com which gives you all the part numbers and schematics that a dealer pulls up on their computers and sure enough, the M sport cars use a conventional sway bar, no active roll stabilization whatsoever. Furthermore, the shocks and springs are different for the M sport package than for the "sporty suspension" as BMW calls it. I believe that the M sport suspension is probably noticably stiffer than the "sporty suspension" we get in the U.S. with our sport package if for no other reason to combat body roll without any hydraulic aid. Pulling the M sport package from the U.S. amounts to a vote of no confidence by BMW regarding the American BMW enthusiast.

IMHO BMW has the most envied brand in all of auotodrom. The message the brand name sends has a level of recognition all other manufacturers aspire to attain. BMW is a sports sedan. Not an economy car, not a luxury barge and not a 2 door pure sports car. It is the best driving car in the world that is still practical. Starting with the new 7 back in 2002, the new BMWs seem to be using technology to maintain perfromance levels while at the same time expanding comfort levels. For example, the 745/750 is larger/heavier than a 740 but still handles as well - on paper at least. Same formula with the E60 5 series and perhaps even the new 3 (haven't driven one yet). It seems that it is only the M cars that take all the new knowledge and gagetry and apply it purely to expand the performance envelope irrespective of comfort, size, efficiency etc... It would be a stretch for me to comfortably afford an M5 right now and so I opted for the 550i sport (particularly after a laborious test drive with the M5's SMG). The 550 is a wonderful car and although I have only had it a short while, I'm sure I will be happy with it for the duration of the lease, but I think my next BMW will have an M badge on it. The newer BMWs are getting softer, as if to attract Mercedes/Audi market share. M seems pure to the original BMW performance philosophy. If BMW's brand becomes tarnished by putting less focus on sport and more on comfort, it will take a long time to restore it - just look at Mercedes with its reliability issues.

DRP
Old 11-21-2006, 11:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Why didn't you go for the real one?
Old 11-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='358935' date='Nov 21 2006, 08:33 PM
Why didn't you go for the real one?
The "real one" is different in the US hence the post.

ABC
Old 11-21-2006, 12:26 PM
Senior Members

I'm not clear ricracing on what you're saying?
Old 11-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

I believe the original poster meant this:
- US Sport model has ARS/DD Suspension.
- Non-US M Sport model has M Suspension.

Putting aside all the cosmetic differences, what do Non-US owners think of DD vs. M Sport Suspension in terms of ride and handling?

Quick Reply: For Non U.S. members: 5 sport vs. 5 M sport