E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nokian Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On Order for European Delivery 550i SilverGrey Sports, Winter, Prem Pkg, Prem sound, NAV, HUD, comfort seats

Tire dealer here has told me to look at Nokian winter tires.

Google doenst reveal terribly much. Does anybody here have any comments?

Also, dealer is considering that I look at BMW reconditioned rims. Any advice on this?

Thanks

Cyclist
Old 11-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Nokian makes some of the best winter tires you can find. They're not that popular in the US because they don't have that many authorized dealers. Keep in mind that these babies are great in the snow and ice but, like the Blizzaks, they aren't so great in the dry.

I used to have Nokian summer tires on my E39 and they were pretty nice too!

I'm certain that you'll see some replies from some of our members in Europe where they're more popular...
Old 11-21-2005, 04:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by Cyclist' post='201695' date='Nov 21 2005, 08:30 PM

Also, dealer is considering that I look at BMW reconditioned rims. Any advice on this?

Thanks

Cyclist
Generally well-regarded for hostile terrain, but for our purposes, terrible off of snow/ice. Very noisy, tricky sport handlling and wear quickly. In other words: How badly do you NEED them? Would recommend major brand with more approproriate engineering tradeoffs.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 11-21-2005, 05:42 PM
MBC
Members

Originally Posted by Cyclist' post='201695' date='Nov 21 2005, 08:30 PM

Thanks

Cyclist
Nokian tires are great. They make a high performance winter tire (think Michelin Pilot Alpin) that they label an "all weather" tire. My version of this tire is called the NRW, they may have changed the name. I have had them on my 330i sport for three years now and like them so much that I have never bothered to switch back to my summer set-up (pilot sports). Also recommend BMW rims for the snows. My first set of snow rims were mille miglia's and they lasted one winter (bent three rims). Switched to OEM type 32s have have never had a problem
Old 11-21-2005, 11:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Cyclist' post='201695' date='Nov 22 2005, 02:30 AM

Thanks

Cyclist
Hi,

Check this: http://www.nokiantyres.com/

The make excellent winter tyres with focus on snow / icy conditions. Not as good as others on dry / wet (not bad though!).
I don't know which type they sell in your neighbourhood but the Nokian WR is the best all season type they have.

/R
Attached Thumbnails Nokian Winter Tires-wr_tuote_iso.jpg  
Old 11-21-2005, 11:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 530i 05 M-technic Silvergrey whith beige dakotaleather

Nokia wintertires are highly recomended here in Scandinavia. I had nokia on my previous e39 and in comparsion to Goodyear it was like night and day
Old 11-22-2005, 12:05 AM
Members

Nokian is number one in Northern Europe. The best winter tire they have (without studs) is RSi. Exellent in snow or icy conditions. When the road is dry or wet Continental Viking Contact 3 is slightly better.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545, nav, sport, PP, cold weather

there was a candian that tested tires that rated them best in snow. the no european use them all the time. there'r just starting to show up in no america. i went with the michelin pilot sport a/s and haven't been dispointed in seattle wa.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Senior Members

The WR tires are made for autobahn, specially good for wet roads, but they are not good at all in snow/ice conditions! They didn't do very weel in a Swedish tire-test this year...
Old 11-25-2005, 11:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

This tire factory called Nokian used to be a part of the rubber boot factory called Nokia,
which is today pretty know as a mobile phone company, the world leader, I presume.
(A long story, but this is the fact.)

The boot and cable department was sold in the '90's and also the Nokia tire factory.
The tirefactory then became Nokian (with an "n")

So if you are looking for the best winter tires, Nokian is always a secure choise.
It is a pretty small factory so they do not have tires for all sizes.

But as Rudy says, they even make good summer tires.

Quick Reply: Nokian Winter Tires