E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

noise in steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 12:07 PM
e6t
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

funny.

i have it too.

it sounds like some sort of harmonic groan at slow speeds, tight turns (ie u-turn) etc. yesterday,i just kept driving around in a circle until my wife told me she was going to be sick.

dealer checked it out, coudnt duplicate.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by e6t
funny.

i have it too.

it sounds like some sort of harmonic groan at slow speeds, tight turns (ie u-turn) etc. yesterday,i just kept driving around in a circle until my wife told me she was going to be sick.

thats the best way to replicate the noise.
do you have the active roll system?

i get the same groan/whine. its louder if i turn harder. and changes in pitch as i rev the engine. no noise when turning when parked though.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Members

i have the same groan. it's usually slow speed turns into a parking spot or when i start a turn at an intersection. it's been mostly happening when i turn left. dealer was able to replicate, but they said it was coming from my "low profile aftermarket 20" tires" which i don't think is the case. maybe maybe not. haven't had a chance to put the stocks back on and see if it happens. hope someone figures out a definitive answer, it's a pain to hear....
Old 03-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by djdc78
i have the same groan. it's usually slow speed turns into a parking spot or when i start a turn at an intersection. it's been mostly happening when i turn left. dealer was able to replicate, but they said it was coming from my "low profile aftermarket 20" tires" which i don't think is the case. maybe maybe not. haven't had a chance to put the stocks back on and see if it happens. hope someone figures out a definitive answer, it's a pain to hear....
its definetly not the tires. and this seems to be a common issue.
do you have the active roll bar system?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
its definetly not the tires. and this seems to be a common issue.
do you have the active roll bar system?
i have a 06 550i sport, with active roll stabilization (ARS). wonder if that's the cause? it used to only happen when i'd be turning into an inclined driveway or parking spot, but now it happens whenever. happens about 3-5 times a day. wish someone has had the problem and got it resolved. i might just change my tires back and tell the dealer to find the problem, as it'll probably be there still. hopefully you can push them to resolve yours and let me know what happens and i'll do the same. thanks.

dc
Old 09-12-2011, 02:08 AM
PDP
Members

My Ride: E60 530D

Probably this is the best description for my steering noise. In my opinion could be the power steering pump (I've added Lubrizol 6178 additive with no results). Are there any new solutions for this?

Originally Posted by e6t
funny.

i have it too.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:38 AM
Members

I have the same groan/moan at low speed, tight turns. I also have ARS and Active Steering. The dealer told me it's normal with cars that have AS. Until it breaks, I can't do anything about it, I can live with the noise. Now if only I can get the windshield whistle fixed
Old 09-14-2011, 07:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by dantheman1
I have the same groan/moan at low speed, tight turns. I also have ARS and Active Steering. The dealer told me it's normal with cars that have AS. Until it breaks, I can't do anything about it, I can live with the noise. Now if only I can get the windshield whistle fixed
Now if only I can get the windshield whistle fixed
Good luck, I still can't locate mine! I've pressed on every spot and there is never a change...