E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise with M54 530i engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 04:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]
Thumbs up

I have a 530i with the "old" M54 231BHP engine.....
All seems normal but when I open the hood with the engine running besides regular noise of the engine I can hear some "whistle" but not high one more like a blow or something.....
It is something that rotates because while pushing the throttle the sound is getting faster.......
Also while the car is cold it is more noticeable.....
It is like some bearing is out or something.... I do not know??? or some air valves??? it is something mechanical for sure and it seems to be coming from the part where showed on the picture. So it is hopefully not the actual engine block/valves

but my guess is some rotational part, most likely some bearing

Anyone???

now I just discovered that when pushing the throttle real hard like up 4000rmps there is a very tiny and short high pitch squeak when the gas is pushed.... like half a second.... everytime you floor it..... (all in stop mode with hood popped)

HERE ARE SOME SOUND CLIPS by Nokia taken inside. So the quality is bad itself due to the phone.
The tone is not so high and resonating in reality.

http://www.applitec.cz/Nahr001.amr
http://www.applitec.cz/Nahr002.amr
Attached Thumbnails Noise with M54 530i engine-1.jpg  
Old 04-11-2006, 07:23 AM
Members

i think this is common problem with m54 engines...(do x5 3.0 have them? because they have the same common problem regarding the "whistle" noise)
http://www.x5world.com/x5-e53-forum/3286-w...ghlight=whistle
its the intake adjuster i believe...
Old 04-11-2006, 11:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

wow. thank you so much.... somehow I believe it is 99% this part mentioned in your reply....

THE INTAKE ADJUSTOR.

Iceman, please, how is it in German???? so i can call them to order it before I come for the service
Attached Thumbnails Noise with M54 530i engine-clipboard02.jpg  
Old 04-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Members

Or maybe someone stealthily added a turbo to your car and you're hearing the bypass valve? haha.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Contributors

so is this the part from the parts list #7 ???
Attached Thumbnails Noise with M54 530i engine-10.jpg  
Old 04-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='267811' date='Apr 11 2006, 03:50 PM
so is this the part from the parts list #7 ???
yup
Old 04-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Contributors

ImAzNUmKaY so you have some experience with this on your E60 or you just know the post from the X5 forum???
Old 04-14-2006, 01:19 AM
Contributors

just got back from a wonderfull dealer and he said it is normal sound.
however he exchange the part under warranty anyway.
however I also had all the filter exchanged and the car drives a little better. The high end torque is stronger and the max speed is achieved more quickly and easily....thank god my service is in Germany
Old 04-14-2006, 01:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='267835' date='Apr 11 2006, 04:33 PM
ImAzNUmKaY so you have some experience with this on your E60 or you just know the post from the X5 forum???
well i had some experience with my previous car (x5) and ive been on that forum alot
the whistling noise is most common problem i think
Old 04-14-2006, 01:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImAzNUmKaY' post='268934' date='Apr 14 2006, 04:46 AM
well i had some experience with my previous car (x5) and ive been on that forum alot
the whistling noise is most common problem i think
well it is not exactly whistling noise. it is more like sound of high pressured air flowing in a pipe
the dealer said he listened to many others with the same engine and this noise I'm talking about is there....