E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Noise in I Drive Screen

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my previous thread i had to get the car reprogrammed to fix the i-drive boot up problem.

the software version programmed was 24.02.01. this was done yesterday. i right away noticed blurring, wavy lines, and it looks like a computer screen with a very bad refresh rate. It gets annoying and uncomfortable to stare at the screen for too long. this is only the first time i had problem with the screen noise.

is this a software problem?
is it a bad tcu problem?
could any wiring cause the interference?

rudy, cid is that the idrive screen replaced? did it fix the problem for good?
any suggestion how i might approach this problem?
Old 03-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sapphire Black/Black - Sport/Step/Nav/Logic 7/PDC/Cold Weather/Comfort Seats/Sunshade/Xenons

Just to chime in with my experience - My car was updated with CIP 24.02.02 a few weeks ago and I noticed the same blurriness/waviness on my i-drive. BMW replace the i-drive screen, which fixed the problem. The tech actually knew immediately what the problem was when I brought it back. That was 2 weeks ago and I haven't noticed it come back yet.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='403343' date='Mar 16 2007, 04:24 AM
Here's the latest update -- they replaced the CID and I haven't noticed the problem the last couple days. They basically re-opened the PUMA case they started the first time the car was in for the problem. As you can see above, the capacitor they changed behind the instrument cluster was the first remedy that the PUMA people came up with but once they learned that didn't solve it, they went ahead and authorized a replacement screen...
Did have a regulator for the AC changed so they had to go behind the dash, deep.

BMW Service broke some "wood" parts, as I know now for sure as plastics. Will get new parts.

But my iDrive screen is still OK.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by RootKit' post='403617' date='Mar 16 2007, 04:31 PM
From my previous thread i had to get the car reprogrammed to fix the i-drive boot up problem.

the software version programmed was 24.02.01. this was done yesterday. i right away noticed blurring, wavy lines, and it looks like a computer screen with a very bad refresh rate. It gets annoying and uncomfortable to stare at the screen for too long. this is only the first time i had problem with the screen noise.

is this a software problem?
is it a bad tcu problem?
could any wiring cause the interference?

rudy, cid is that the idrive screen replaced? did it fix the problem for good?
any suggestion how i might approach this problem?
So far, replacing the CID (central information display = iDrive screen) seems to have fixed the problem. It's strange how this seems to be happening to so many people right after a sofware upgrade, isn't it?
Old 03-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='403711' date='Mar 17 2007, 01:04 AM
It's strange how this seems to be happening to so many people right after a sofware upgrade, isn't it?
One person on parade faints, many faint.

ABC
Old 03-16-2007, 06:49 PM
Contributors

yes i noticed that right after the software update (v24.02.01). Maybe it is a coincident.
should i get the screen replaced? and how much is it?
any options i do will be out of warranty.

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='403714' date='Mar 16 2007, 08:28 PM
One person on parade faints, many faint.

ABC
ABC, i had a problem and i searched this forum to see if someone else had a similiar problem.
your logic does not apply here, take your logic to a philosophy forum.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:18 AM
Members

Hi there!
I am a Euro spec (German import to France) owner of a 1 series with I-Drive. Mfg date: 1st aug 2005, warranty till sept 2007.

Ever since upgrading the Progman to be able to read MP3s in November 2006, I have seen lines appear on the navi screen.
I imagine it must be at least progman 23 or 24.

When I showed this to the SA at my local BMW garage in Lyon around dec 06 he had never heard of such thing. As the electronics guy wasn't in, he said to come back in jan.
I haven't had time to go back since but I have used the "Baby" and I must admit it does bug me to see those lines appear!
I thougth it was temperature linked but is is quite sporadic. It sometimes disappears when the headlights go on...

Anyway I am glad I am not the only one in the same situation. I am going to book for a visit in the following weeks.
I will also mention the side bolsters on the leather sport seats facing premature wear (the black dye seems to be rubbing off...).

I wonder if I should wait a little as i understand the v 25.0 is coming soon...?

Thanks anyway for your very valuable posts!! And even if I only have a 120d, I am glad to be able to share my passion with other BMW enthusiasts!!!

Cheers

Noise in I Drive Screen-idrivelines.jpg
Old 03-18-2007, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

That's what it looks like for sure -- have your dealer submit a PUMA case to BMW. The more people who complain about this, the more likely BMW will figure out exactly what's going on.

It seems to be software related since so many of us have the problem only after an update but in my case, the fix was to replace the screen so it doesn't make too much sense now, does it?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Members

Yep I sure agree! the more come up with the problem the better!

I always wonder what position to adopt with the SA: should I say exactly what the fix is or play the dumb customer?
It all boils down to "asymmetric" level of knowledge...And thanks to these forums, we seem to be more and more knowledgeable as global forums are goldmines of info!

It actually gets to a point where on some very specific points the customer actually knows better!! thats what happened last time I took my car to BMW: I explained that the little piece of plastic in the boot was ot open the latch from the inside and that the CD-changer could read MP3s...

Anyway, I think I am going to wait 1-2 weeks to be sure to get the V25.0 upgrade. then if that doesn't work, I will insist on them changing the screen (which isn't my favourite option as it will mean taking the dahboard to pieces, never a good thing!)
Old 03-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

The problem is you can't always just "insist" that they fix it your way (unless you want to pay for it out of pocket.)

Most times, in the case of warranty, you have to let them progress through whatever the recommended procedure is before they reach the conclusion you are asking for. In my case, before they replaced the screen, they replaced a capacitor behind the instrument cluster. The labor involved in replacing a $2 part was much more involved than the labor to replace the CID but that's what they chose to try first. Once that didn't work, they replaced the CID and it seems to have solved the problem.

The more PUMA cases that are submitted for this, the more data BMW gathers to determine what the proper fix is. I'm betting that eventually, they won't mess with the capacitor, etc.

Quick Reply: Noise in I Drive Screen